Which Rookie/new Addition Will Make The Most Impact?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Oct 1, 2014.

1. EasyGuy

EasyGuy - Rookie -

I'm hoping it's Randle.

2. from714to402

from714to402 - Rookie -

Since watching Lins documentary when it released I've been a big fan of him as a person. Now that he is a Laker I'm excited to root for the guy.

3. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

just based on tonight, i have to say randle and davis have jumped to the top of my list. clarkson and lin had good moments tonight, but to me a few more rough edges to work out.

and if you count nash as a new addition, if he can stay healthy, the old man could still ball.

4. Sipnotic

Sipnotic - Rookie -

I would expect Lin to have the most impact due to playing time of course and I'm also hopeful he'll take another step forward this season. From the rookies, Randle for sure. I like Clarkson, but Randle is NBA ready. I'm not too sure about Clarkson being a major contributor this season.

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Lin will get the minutes and will put his imprint on every game on a more consistent basis. Randle? He'll do well initially but I see the inevitable rookie wall slowing him down like two thirds of the way.

revgen likes this.
  6. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Obviously, it's just one preseason game:

-Lin desperately needs a midrange game a la Westbrook. He can beat his man into no-man's-land effortlessly. There, he needs to stop and shoot.

-Holy chemistry batman between Lin and Davis!

-As much as I like Hill, I fear he may be outmatched by starting C's and give up a lot of and1's. I remember that a lot last year. Davis' length and nose for the ball on D might result in him starting to cover for kobe and Nash on the perimeter.

-No more jumpshots, Randle. Bull in a china shop should be your MO.

-Clarkson looking like a future Monta Ellis out there! Fearless!

-Ellington impressed me with his poise and understanding of the game. Can't wait to see Price.

7. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the addition of Byron.
    I feel like if he were to continue to work on his handles and the mental part of the game, he could be as unstoppable on the drive as LeBron is. He has good control even as he receives/absorbs contact.

8. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

Ellington made his case for the team to keep him. Hitting that one pull up jumper on the break was unexpected. Thought of him more as a spot-up shooter, but maybe there's more to his game now.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought Lin looked great, but hopefully Kobe teaches him how to find his own offense occasionally. He's open a lot, take the shot some times. He definitely had a great rapport with Davis though. That'll be a good connection throughout the season.

Davis looked great in general. Exactly what we'd hoped for. Obviously we'll face stiffer competition, but he's definitely making a case to at least split minutes with Hill. I'm seeing Hill as more of an offensive threat and Davis as a defender, but we'll see how it goes.

I want Randle to keep shooting that shot. He needs to be able to hit it to draw the defense away from the rim and clear space. His shot is super flat though. Maybe he ought to study some Tim Duncan and get that banker going.

Clarkson looked good. I'd rather have an over aggressive player than a scared one. Still though, he'll have to dial it back a bit.

Ellington definitely made a case to make the team. Tyler looking like the odd man out this season.

10. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i want more Ed Davis and less Sacre

Mark and MusixFinest like this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I feel like it might be Randle. But I'm also hoping Lin makes a big impact. I like Clarkson a lot so far - he's a sleeper but it will be harder for him to get time once X comes back. I really like what I saw from Ellington last night. He definitely looks like a keeper. Good smarts, great outside shot and he will work hard on D with Byron at the helm.

therealdeal likes this.
  12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Lin.

Last season we desperately needed a good PG that we can count on for long stretches.

Randle is talented, but he's 19 years old. We can't count on him to be consistent night in and night out.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, at this point it's hard to argue against Lin, who got 10 assists in his first real game.

14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

How could I forget about Ed Davis' game last night, oops! He really showed terrific mobility on the pick and roll with Lin. He's a rock solid addition for this year.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

I hope all the new guys impact the game in some form or fashion. The deeper of a team we are, the longer our vets can rest.

16. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Most impact: Randle

But I like the fact that everyone contributed in different ways, rather than everyone focusing on being a scorer.

Lin looked to be a pass first distributor, but sacrificed his offense doing so. He was in control, ran the offense, exactly what we need. However, he's got to be more aggressive offensively so that he can draw the defense out more to get more open looks for other guys. Something Nash should be able to help him with. A floater would be nice for him with his ability to penetrate. Defensively, we hustles, exactly what we need.

Ellington was great in stretches too. A good shooter, in control, Meeks 2.0.

Davis is the perfect big off the bench. Great natural defensive instincts, quick jumper to block shots, and excellent finisher in the pick and roll. Great chemistry with Lin already.

Randle was a beast, and will continue to develop throughout his career. There's not much I need to say about him, his drive to become better and better is excellent.

Clarkson played out of position imo, but really, that is his position. Sounds weird yes, but like we all know, he was a PG. He is a scoring guard, but he lacks the ability to create his own shot unless he's driving to the basket. He kept driving and forcing up shots because he couldn't get all the way to the basket. He actually has a nice stroke, but he needs to learn as a SG, how to create his own shot.