Which players would you like to see back for the 2016-2017 season?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by tada, Apr 15, 2016.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

What are your thoughts on our current roster?

Players under contract
    D'Angelo Russell
    Julius Randle
    Larry Nance Jr.
    Lou WIlliams
    Nick Young
    Anthony Brown

Free Agents
    Jordan Clarkson
    Brandon Bass
    Roy Hibbert
    Ryan Kelly
    Metta World Peace
    Marcelo Huertas
    Tarik Black
    Robert Sacre

I would....
    1. Waive (or try to trade) Young
    2. Sign Clarkson
    3. Sign either Black or Bass
    4. Sign Huertas

2. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

I would say Clarkson and Black for sure. But everyone (including them) can wait until after Durant, Derozan, Whiteside, Batum...et al. Clarkson's comments post game about "feeling good about coming back/ I want to be here" (paraphrasing) makes me think that we have time to get to other RFA/UFAs before HAVING to get him done. Ideally we could use up most of our space and resign him to go over the cap.

3. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Clarkson, Black and Huertas

Toklat and alam1108 like this.
  4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Good point, but I wonder if there are any merits to wait on Bass/Black when we have 9 open roster spots? I doubt we'd find a better backup 5 in the same price range.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Honestly? Everyone is up for trade. If we find something suitable, I'll say goodbye to anyone on this roster... That being said, my dream scenario is still lucking into that pick and packaging it with a couple guys. Realistically though next season I expect back:

Randle
    Russell
    Clarkson
    Nance Jr.
    Williams
    A. Brown

That's it. Everyone else in their exit interviews seemed like either they were ready to go (Bass, Huertas, Black, Metta) or had pretty much come to the understanding the Lakers wouldn't ask for them back (Hibbert, Young, Kelly, and Sacre).

tada, revgen and gcclaker like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i like both black and bass as backup 4/5, but you probably only need one. black will likely be cheaper. i offer them similar low dollar deals with the understanding that whomever bites first stays.

huertas is ok, but i think you can find similar quality backup pgs at vet min if he walks.

i fear anthony brown is the next kelly/sacre (guy the FO hangs onto for years but doesn't develop).

anyway, on a 17-win roster, it's hard to talk about "keepers" in a strict sense.

tada and therealdeal like this.
  7. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Nance Jr, Bass, and Black. That's really it for me. I don't really care if anyone else is back besides those guys.

Lex860, Alcindor, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  8. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I want the young guys back, unless we can package them together to get an impact player back, and a competent coach.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

The only guys I absolutely want back next season are Randle, Russell, JC, and Nance Jr.

The rest are expendable. Including the coaching staff.

raviator and therealdeal like this.
  10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Julius, Russ, JC, Junior and Tarik.
    I wouldn't mind Bass sticking around either ;).

revgen likes this.
  11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    DAR / Huertas
    ____ / JC
    ____ / ____ / Brown
    Randle / Nance
    _____ / Bass / Black

Nick waived/stretched or traded
    Lou traded with the pick if we keep it

Snake Eyes and LakerFanIam like this.
  12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

DAR, Randle, Clarkson, Nance. Maybe Tarik and Bass if the NEW COACH can use them properly.

revgen likes this.
  13. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

My votes: Obviously we keep our young ones together 1 more year to see how they do without Kobe on the floor and in the rotation. I think with 1 or 2 players we have something ---- like Wolves --- Lakers core of Randle, Russell, Clarkson, and Nance should be given a chance to play together. I have to tell you - I hated Huertas when the season began - but when he was on the floor - he and Russell and others had great chemistry -- some of that was with Kobe on the floor directing traffic so not sure on him. Tarik Black is also one I'd keep. Let Sacre, Young, Kelly, Hibbert (slow as all heck), go.

So Sign Bass (if no one jumps us and we strike out with FA class), Meta, Huertas and Black. Trade Williams Young and Anthony Brown for some draft picks and/or expiring contracts to offset whatever hit you take to sign someone and/or keep enough players on the roster to field a team and PRAY we keep our pick.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Some good points here. I'm a bit surprised that only real wants Lou back, and no one wants Hibbert.

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Bring back everyone you have under contract with the exception of Young. Stretch him or trade him.

FA's: Bass, Clarkson. That's it.

16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm okay with Hibbert, but only as a bench big that gets very few minutes.

tada likes this.
  17. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Our 4 youngins , Bass and Black .

The rest is trash . ( Huertas couldn't defend any member of Lakersball so no)

It's time (been a while) to think two way players .

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I'd keep lou; he outperforms his salary, imo. long term, he and Clarkson are the same guy, though.

19. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

Players under contract

D'Angelo Russell: I don't even have to say anything here. He may have had some trouble with the Nick Young situation, but he's a key piece to our future. Still under contract, and should stay on the Lakers at least for his whole rookie contract, and probably for the long term, though that's yet to be seen.

Julius Randle: Just like Russell, he's our future. I'm not even sure yet who's going to be the better player between him and Russell. He really showed a lot of improvement as the season progressed, and I actually think he has a great attitude.

Larry Nance Jr.: He's not going to be a star in this league, but he has a lot of attributes that scream "great role player". I think he could be one of those key role players from a championship team. If we can get something great moving him, we do it, but it's not something we should actively pursue.

Lou WIlliams: I actually like Lou. I think he'd be a great 6th man on an important team. He's a good basketball player. But that said, moving him might be a good idea. He actually has trade value and the money he earns (which I think it's a good contract) could find some use for us in summer. I like him, so I'm fine if he stays. But I understand that to get something, we need to give something back, and he might be the piece to move.

Nick Young: Time to move this guy... if we can, that is. I'm not a fan of cutting him, even with the stretch provision, but I do think we should try to move Nick Young somewhere, even if we get nothing in return. While Russell is the main guy to blame for the infamous incident, that's a chemistry killer, and Russell is obviously most valuable. There's also that other incident with the feminist or whatever... but above all, while I appreciate the fact that I think he honestly love Los Angeles and the Lakers, and even though he actually signed for less to come here, maybe Hollywood is actually damaging Nick Young, who I feel no is more worried about his swag than his game. Also, he doesn't really have a role in this team. He was supposed to be that scoring 6th man, but now we have Lou who's better in every single aspect.

Anthony Brown: I feel he just exists there. He didn't really do anything of value, and he had opportunities, especially when Kobe didn't play. I think he's just not an NBA caliber player. He can't really give much, but he doesn't damage this team. Probably there to make a trade work or something like that. We can cut him if we feel it's necessary

Free Agents
    Jordan Clarkson: While I have my doubts about Clarkson signing a millionaire contract, I do think we should try to get him back. He's definitely a good young player and has proven it for two years now. His game has expanded and I do think he could end up being really good. If he does end up being really good, his new contract could look really good in two more years.

Brandon Bass: I said this before, but I'll say it again: I think this guy is a pro, a great presence to have in the team and a player who will help the team. He's a good presence to have in this team full of young guys, and if we can get him back at a good price, we do. But does HE want that? I certainly wouldn't blame him if he tries new pastures.

Roy Hibbert: I tried to support Roy. I really did. Actually, I still think he's a good guy. But he just didn't really worked. He's been pretty bad the last two years. I really liked him in Indiana three years ago, but he' just not that good defensively anymore. I honestly wish him the best... but he has to go.

Ryan Kelly: I think he isn't as bad as most people make him out to be. I think he could revive his career, but I think it's best for him and the Lakers to try it somewhere else.

Metta World Peace: I'll gladly have him IF he doesn't play. As a player he's just not good enough, but as a presence to have, I think he's fantastic. If he comes back to be our 13th man, then I can have him back in exchange of peanuts.

Marcelo Huertas: He just needs to get used to the NBA. He started the season horrible, but you could see how little by little he started to get used to the game and its rythm. He has a priviledged vision and is a fantastic passer. He's value right now should be very low, so it'd be great to have him back.

Tarik Black: We should definitely try to get this guy back. He's been fantastic when he's playing. Sadly, because of Scott that hasn't happened as much as it should've. He can be a great energy guy. Great rebounder and it's not a useless trunk. He can perfectly be back very cheap.

Robert Sacre: I think Sacre is a great guy. I wish him the best in his life, but for the love of god, get out of the Lakers already. He has no idea how to play basketball. He's been absolutely horrible since day 1. I really had a hard time believing it when we resigned him. He doesn't really bring anything. Absolutely anything. He shouldn't be playing in the NBA.

SamsonMiodek, revgen, Cookie and 2 others like this.
  20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Players in black I would keep. Players in blue I could go either way on. Players in red better not be here come October.

D'Angelo Russell: Love him. I want him back, but am willing to move him for a star.

Julius Randle: See above.

Larry Nance Jr.: I think Randle is a little more expendable due to Nance. For example, if we can trade Randle and our pick for a star that attracts...say...Batum and Durant, Nance I think could start at pf for us and just be a Kurt Rambis, dirty work type player.

Lou WIlliams: I have made no secret of my disdain for Lou. I will admit that Byron used him poorly, but it doesn't change the fact that he plays a losing style of basketball. Why were we able to get the 6th man of the year for 7 million? Because teams that have him know he destroys your offensive flow and can't play a lick of defense.

Nick Young: An obvious distraction in our locker room, and a horrible player to have as a "veteran leader" for a team this young. I don't dislike him as a person, and I think he's got a good heart, but the average kid in middle school is more mature than him.

Anthony Brown: Incomplete grade due to how little we saw of him.

Jordan Clarkson: Not as high on him as I was in the beginning of the year. I'm really worried about what it will cost to keep him because I honestly don't see him as anything more than the 3rd guard in a 3 guard rotation. Unless we are loaded at every other position, I don't think he can be a starting sg on a championship team.

Brandon Bass: Deserves better than what he got last season, and I hope he moves on for his sake.

Roy Hibbert: He's awful. I like him as a person and a teammate, but I have never seen a game pass a player by as quickly as it did Hibbert. It was seemingly overnight.

Ryan Kelly: I had faith in the kid when we first drafted him. I saw him maybe as a Poor Man's Ryan Anderson, and thought maybe we got a steal due to his foot injury. But he is worse now than he was his rookie year. He's an unathletic stretch four that can't stretch. Translation: Pointless.

Metta World Peace: Nothing left. Love him, but he's done.

Marcelo Huertas: I guess as a backup's, backup. But anything he does on offense is negated two-fold by his defense.

Tarik Black: The most bizzare benching I've ever seen of a player. He was our best center in the minutes he played, but Scott rolled with Hibbert and Bass to the point where you had to question if something nefarious is going on.

Robert Sacre: Not an NBA player.

tada and Punk-101 like this.