The Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Barnstable, Oct 22, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Love it. The log bit was both hilarious and bad***.

Barnstable likes this.
  2. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Looking at that release schedule and then realizing there is a fantastic chance that we will see a well done live action version of so many wonderful story lines and characters is simply amazing.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I think we're watching something new happening in film here. If all these upcoming movies are at least as good as the previous batch, we will be seeing this strategy of tying in multiple movies and story lines for decades to come. I'm really good with that.

Imagine if they can do something similar with Star Wars!! They're already trying to do it with DC (I'm very suspicious as to if they can match what Disney/Marvel has done with the Avengers universe).

And to think, as a kid, I always thought of the Avengers as being one of the weaker comic stories.

XXIV, therealdeal and Kingsama like this.
  4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

The best take I have heard on it is Marvel is basically making a TV series of movies. And instead of watching a new episode once a week we are watching one once a year.

The thing that has separated marvel from the rest of the pack is the love and level of detail that those who are creating the MCU have for the source material. When I watch the films I see the characters I love from the comics and cartoons reflected in them. They get them. When I watch Spider-man, x-men, DBZ, Airbender, etc etc I can't see that. I see crap slapped together by people who don't understand the source material. Outside of Nolan and Burton, or JJ Abrams with ST, I just don't get that feeling. In the end it seems like DC is headed for the trash pile as they rush to fill marvels shoes.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. therealdeal

Yeah DC is trying to catch up and they're relying on their names to get it done. They needed to throw as much as they could at Nolan to run their universe and instead they opted for Snyder. You're going to get a bunch of movies with good visual effects, but they won't have any staying power whatsoever.

Like you guys have said, Marvel is doing this well because they have people in place that don't just want to make this movie and make money, they want to make the movie and do it right. They want to please the fans. I know Disney is an evil corporation that sells dreams to kids which forces parents to spend abhorrent amounts of cash to make sure their children can stay up to date with the newest Disney fad. But the thing I've come to admire about Disney is sure they're going to have a high price tag, but eight or nine times out of ten they'll give you a great product too. They have fantastic attention to detail and now they have a reputation to keep up.

Anyway, what's going on with Ant-Man? They had Edgar Wright and it looked like it could be one of the coolest movies they'd do, but now they're kind of sweeping him under the rug. That's alright. I understand not every movie can be the best movie they've done so far, but what's the plan with him?

Barnstable likes this.
  6. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

From what I read from both Disney and friends of wright, wright really wanted to take the movie in a different direction and wanted to change details that would effect how the movie fits into the larger MCU. I was really bummed to hear him go, but I would rather have ant man fit into the MCU...

7. therealdeal

I agree. I read that they had a lot of artistic differences and this is one of Wright's pet projects so he really didn't want a lot of the material being changed around.

I just don't know what to expect from that movie anymore though.

8. Barnstable

Benedict Cumberbach is rumored to be playing Dr. Strange. I would be so psyched if he does. I love Sherlock, and his performance in the last Star Trek movie, so I think he would be pretty perfect as Dr. Strange

therealdeal and lakersyunowin like this.
  9. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    at first i believed they wanted joaquin phoenix to play as doctor strange... would u have preferred him or benedict to play as doctor strange?

10. Barnstable

I think Phoenix would make a pretty terrible Dr. Strange. He's not a bad actor, but He's not charismatic enough IMO.

Kingsama likes this.
  11. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

After watching Sherlock and Star Trek Into Darkness I think its pretty easy to see that Cumberbatch is more than capable of carrying a film the scope of an Avengers film. I don't see that in Phoenix.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. therealdeal

I completely disagree guys. Phoenix is a different level of actor and he would have made a tremendously weird and half-way sinister Dr. Strange. It would have made the character really cool and compelling.

By going with Cumberbatch you definitely switch up the vibe. I think Cumberbatch will knock it out of the park and he'll be a great Dr. Strange, but it'll be a different tone. He'll definitely be more charismatic, but at least to me not as intriguing. I'm still extremely excited for Dr. Strange though and what Cumberbatch is going to do with it.

13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

While I don't necessarily think Phoenix would have been terrible, I agree that he is not as well suited to be a marvel superhero. Phoenix's Strange would have to be more brooding and emotionally driven, but I can't imagine him standing there in stoic confidence facing down Dormammu. Cumberbatch on the other hand I can see doing very well with both the evolution of Strange from a broken man(which Phoenix would have done better) to the Sorcerer Supreme facing down would be world destroyers.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    TIME and Barnstable like this.
  14. Barnstable

What Sama said.

Phoenix is much more of a character actor to me where I think the role would be better suited to a leading man that can act his butt off. That's Cumberbach IMO.

15. therealdeal

I don't know. I think Phoenix is fantastic. He's been great in almost every movie I've seen him in. I don't think of him as a character actor at all.

I definitely agree though that Cumberbach would make a more dramatic actor when facing world or dimensional destruction. He'll make more sense in the Marvel Universe as a whole. If Dr. Strange were a singular movie about a surgeon who ruins his hands and becomes the Sorcerer Surpreme, I think Phoenix would knock it out of the park.

Phoenix with a bunch of other heroes saving the world?... I think Cumberbatch makes more sense there.

Barnstable and Kingsama like this.
  16. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Whedon said in an interview that Hawkeye will actually play a much larger role this time around.

TIME likes this.
  17. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Wright is definitely capable of making fun and entertaining movies, but I think his style is too silly and violent for the MCU.

I used to be excited for Wright, but I think Marvel made the right decision in finding someone more grounded who could produce something more palatable to the masses. May not be as good as Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy, but we'll have to wait and see.

18. therealdeal

I know and I think he probably will, but considering how much Black Widow is used, Hawkeye has been vastly underutilized.

Re- Wright: I love his style and I think his movies are a ton of fun. I thought him doing a Marvel movie would certainly be interesting. Maybe you're right it would have been weird and too different for Marvel's style, but both of them needed to sacrifice and it seems like neither did. Both had a vision for what they wanted and wouldn't back down from that vision.

Now i think Ant-Man is in jeopardy of being their first mistake.

19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm late to this thread, but I thought I'd comment on this trailer at least, which I've seen 2 slightly different versions of. Thought it looked freakin awesome, actually really liked the Disney tie in with the "no strings on me" theme, and thought Spader sounded great as Ultron.

I finally saw Captain America 2 a few weeks ago and loved everything about it, and I was not a fan of the first one at all. I thought Black Widow was used especially well in it as well, Johnasson and Evan's chemistry was pretty great.

I also saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 times in the theater this summer, and I have to say I am loving what Marvel is doing with all this after not being too convinced early on with their plan. I see the bigger picture now, and it seems like with each movie they put out and add another piece to the puzzle, the whole thing gets more awesome. I'm pretty much looking forward to every movie they put out at this point, even Ant-Man. James Gunn was questioned as a Marvel writer/director before Guardians too, and look how that turned out. Wright may be gone, but they seem to be at least taking care to see that the Ant-Man movie he started isn't wasted.

20. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Agreed with everything here, pretty much. Not sure why a lot of people like the first Cap. It had some heart, definitely, but just the way the story was told was very cliche and generic. Maybe it's Joe Johnston's style, so I'm nowadays hesitant whenever his name is attached to anything.

That said, yes, every movie is just more and more awesome, especially with such a cohesive universe put together (as opposed to random projects thrown around).