Summer League Team : Russell smooth 21 (1-4)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Russell is having a few anticipated issues with his initial adjustment to the NBA game, but I'm quite encouraged in what I've seen from him thus far, actually.

All the things he needs to work on are VERY fixable: Adjusting to the speed of the pro game, conditioning, taking better care of the ball, defensive awareness.

However, the things you can't teach like his off-the-charts court awareness & pinpoint passing skills have me giddy. He's 19, and once he gets a little stronger, and has his legs under him a bit more, watch out.

Agree with you guys on Clarkson & Nance. Love what they're bringing and hopefully will keep developing.

Haven't seen much mention of Anthony Brown in this thread, but he looks like a really nice 3-and-D wing player for us. Had a great defensive possession late against the Sixers where he used his feet & length to force a bad shot on a quicker guard. Also had that nice block from behind where he controlled the ball and started a break that resulted in Russell going to the line. Keep it up, Anthony!

2. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    That 3rd quarter Mitchell and Nance were incredible on D, I kept wanting to find out more about him as I watched but couldn't leave the game. Mitchell could be a sleeper come training camp, really liked what I saw of him.

3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm sensing the Al Jefferson ceiling as well.

He's definitely NBA ready. Not a completely dominant figure, but he's smart in the post to get his shots and that's what's he's going to give you. A solid 18-20 ppl guy and 10 rebounds and that's pretty much it. That's awesome numbers but in terms of being a "superstar", I don't think that ceiling is there for him.

Russell on the other hand, with the skills he's already showcasing here and there, is really flashing brilliance to become a star once he gets acclimated to NBA pace and style.

RasAlgethi likes this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

So, is NYK we're facing tomorrow...are they starting Kristaps at the 4? Randle vs Kristaps? That's intriguing.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

man, if okafor was a laker, we'd be hyping him and posting Russell's fg% and turnover numbers. he's clearly ahead right now. doesn't mean it was the wrong choice or it's over, but why deny the obvious, child? (that reference is older than me).

anyway, I'm trying to focus on the positive that is Clarkson looking like he's made that crucial 1st to 2nd year jump that quality players tend to make. hopefully, this translates into the real action.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't see an Al Jeff ceiling with Okafor. I think he's almost there right now. I think he's already showed a little growth defensively since the last time I saw him play. I don't think he'll ever be a really good defensive Center, but he'll be alright. He'll be better than Al Jefferson eventually.

Anyone else like TJ McConnell? I think he'd be a great flier as a 3rd string PG if we can't find a vet to take that position.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

TJ can play...

8. LaVarBallsDad

I wouldn't be hyping Okafor up; I mean, he is what he is; I said a couple of months ago he's as good as Al Jefferson right now, but I take that back. I don't even think he's there yet. Will he be better? Possibly.

NBA.com is hyping up Okafor, though. They have him averaging 33.2 ppg, 19 rebounds per game. :rofl::rofl:

9. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Okafor is absolutely an NBA player. I just don't see his impact on the court will be as large as his impact on the stat sheet. I'm not downplaying what he's going, he's got some serious grown-man skills.

He's slow though, his conditioning and shape is a huge question mark. He doesn't always run the floor as well as you'd like. He looks less mobile than Bynum his first year (from what I can remember, that was 10 years ago).

I think if he works with one of those big-time trainers and really muscles up and loses some fat he can be a real force. He's dominating fringe NBA players. We expected this, we saw it in college. Can he do it agains NBA bigs? What about good NBA bigs and crafty guards?

10. LaVarBallsDad

I'm not saying he's not an NBA player. He absolutely is an NBA player. Without a doubt. He's had 2 subpar games and 2 games where he's had double-doubles. He's also struggled with lengthier defenders and it has been a little hard for him to establish great position inside. He's had 3 other games besides the Lakers. I've watched them all, and I think he'll be fine.

11. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

Hi Guys,

I just got back in from Vegas a few hours ago where I was able to catch both Laker Summer League games. I got a couple of cool photos to share with you guys. I'll write up on some observations I noted in a bit. Sorry some are a little grainy...I had to tinker with them a bit to get them under 700 KB.

Attached Files:

12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

His free throw shooting form isn't bad like a Jordan or a Howard. It's them big mitts that doesn't give him much touch on his shot. His offensive game reminds me of Duncan's... Face up banks...corkscrew shots...up and unders. Okafor has nimble footwork but he does settle too far away in the post. In time, he will tone his body, build up his conditioning and will have a better understanding of the pro game.

Young Buckeye and the crew are there to get a feel for each other's game against competition. They had a nice run together which the bench promptly gave up. It's a process and will take time. When the real games happen, the vets will be there to slow things down for them so they can figure it out.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

Some interesting tidbits I thought that would be cool to share from going to SL Live that maybe aren't as noticeable on TV...

- Jordan Clarkson's Leadership - In between timeouts, was giving pointers and putting his arm around the young rookies. You could tell he embraced his role during summer league as the "Vet" of the squad. Seemed to be pretty close with Anthony Brown, punching him around during a timeout trying to get him pumped up

- Jim Buss - something I thought was pretty interesting was Jim Buss' enthusiasm. Two times this summer league I saw him stand up and get pumped up in a Mark Cuban-esque kind of way. First time was in Game 1 when Upshaw rejected Towns, and the second time was when Larry Nance Jr. got the crowd chanting his name. For a guy who remains pretty mysterious to me, I thought it was pretty cool to see a little emotion out of him

-Tony Mitchell - Athletic Freak. He put on quite the dunk show in warm-ups for both games. That being said, I thought maybe he should have dedicated more of that warm up time to get his shot tuned in but hey what do I know

-Laker Personnel/Former players around:
    - Mitch Kupchak - Sat next to Jim most of the game, and didn't show much emotion. Right before the 2nd game he was sitting right next to George Karl which I thought was interesting.
    - Byron Scott - Sat Courtside with his family during the 2nd game. Jordan Clarkson came up to him a couple of times between timeouts...looked like they were going over X's and O's
    - Rick Fox - Was there for the 1st game. My friend said she thought he was flirting with Kelli Tennant, TWC Lakers Sports Reporter. They chatted for a good five minutes and were pretty chummy, but I told my friend that she and Rick were most likely talking X's and O's...yeah right
    - Trevor Ariza - Gave mad love to Laker fans. Took pictures with a lot of them and seemed pretty humbled when they gave him a little standing O as he walked to his seat during halftime.

TIME, gill, JSM and 11 others like this.
  14. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Mitch and Karl are both UNC alums and former college teammates. So I'm not surprised they talked to each other.

15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I am trying my best to avoid the Okafor talk but since we apparently just aren't going to let this go and move on.....

I think Okafor is showing a lot of what the scouts saw - slow, a lack of conditioning, poor on the defensive end, and he struggles against taller defenders. There were questions about the validity of those scouting reports but I always thought those knocks on Okafor were valid. Those issues were evident in several games at Duke particularly against bigger teams like Utah, Gonzaga, and Wisconsin during the tournament. Also, if you've been following his games in the summer league, you see that he gets his shot blocked a lot. An ESPN writer noted that he has probably been swatted more in summer league than his whole career and I agree.

That said, his post game is still very good. With his moves he will be able to put up good overall scoring numbers even if his percentages aren't as high. I am getting the feeling a lot of people will just look at that to draw their conclusions and that's fine I suppose. But with Okafor's post game if teams really believed that he could solve his conditioning issues and be a rim protector he probably would have gone 1st before even Towns.

TIME, gill, Chillbongo and 2 others like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Thanks. Wow, #4 you could have reached and yanked on Harden's beard..... taken one for the guys here. :D

EJones06 and therealdeal like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Cool tidbits indeed, thanks for sharing. Liked hearing Jim Buss was getting excited and Clarkson mentoring some already like Kobe did with him. Russell talks about that too. They have a good relationship. Foxy!! Ariza!!

EJones06, Chillbongo and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Awesome recap man! Great stuff.

EJones06 likes this.
  19. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

^ No vids of Mitchell's dunk-a-thon? Booooooooo :devil:
    Seriously though, nice recap, thanks for that.

EJones06 likes this.
  20. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Hmmm karl and mitch talking. .... demarcus cousins?

EJones06 likes this.