Star Wars Thread (a Galaxy Far Far Away) Obi-Wan Movie In The Works! (36)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DarthRekal, Oct 13, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

And there's only 1:30 of footage in which he has the mannerisms of Han Solo to me. The only difference (only? :D) is that he looks and sounds different, but I see nothing in this trailer that makes me think "oh Han wouldn't say or do that". What are you seeing that looks so non-Han like? I have friends that haven't changed much, but I also have old friends too and they act extremely different from a 10 years ago. Hell most people change a LOT from early twenties to late twenties. They mature, they wise up, etc. I can explain away appearance and voice as timing, but he still acted pretty much like Han Solo to me. Bravado, sarcasm, the smirk. In a tiny window, that looked like Han Solo to me. I wouldn't say anything in that trailer struck me as something Han Solo certainly wouldn't do mostly because we have extremely limited footage.

I'm not blindly defending this because I honestly don't have a strong opinion, I just don't see how you can easily dismiss this based on that small amount of footage.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Now I get why they didn’t show Han from the front in the teaser trailer. :D First of all, his hair looks stupid and weird, like they tried super hard to copy Han’s hair from ANH but Ehrenreich’s hair didn’t want to cooperate and it came out looking like a weird wig/woman with short hair. After that, accepting him as Han is going to be hard for me, it was just weird, it was off. The voice isn’t Han in any way (I didn’t want an impersonator, but I have to believe it’s yhe same person), and I kept thinking the poor little guy needs lifts in his boots or a box to stand on. Unless in this galaxy humans don’t finish growing until their late 20’s for some reason.

The rest of the movie looks fine, Lando looks awesome, it looks like a beautifully shot film, if maybe a little boring in tone from this trailer. So basically everything about Solo looks ok except Solo. :D I’m sure I’ll still see it, but my excitement dropped to almost zero after that trailer. To make me interested in a Solo movie you have to nail the Solo part, and this trailer didn’t sell me. Actually made me believe the rumor of an acting coach having to be brought in for Ehrenreich could have some validity. I dunno, I think Disney might have legit concerns with this one, I think moving it to May might have been a mistake. I never anticipated feeling SW fatigue, but this trailer gave me that feeling, the look of it is just so reminiscent of Rogue One, and I was expecting way different, brighter, lighter for an Solo adventure film. I don’t know, this is gonna be a hard one to judge I think. Some may love it if its fun, some may just not care.

3. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

If they are doing this just have the guts to make an awesome big budget animated movie.

4. therealdeal

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. That's a lot of films. Rian's trilogy, their series, the Obi Wan movie...Are we going to two a year?

6. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

It's a good sign. We can only do the rehash old star wars characters so long.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I believe this'll come 3-4 years down the line. They're still doing Rian's. I don't know what happened to the Obi-Wan movie, but Ewan says he hasn't heard anything. From what I can gather:

2019- Episode 9
    2020- Rian's 1st
    2021- GoT guys
    2022- Rian's 2nd
    2023- GoT guys 2nd
    2024- Rian's 3rd
    2025- GoT guys 3rd
    2026- Episode 10? Obi-Wan?

8. Weezy

I think if anyone is fit for the Old Republic these guys probably are. They are called Jedi Knights after all, give us something radically different and beautiful.

Savory Griddles and therealdeal like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Maybe they hired them to replace Rian Johnson's trilogy. We'll just sort of get a press release a few months from now that Rian decided to step away because he didn't want to be tied down to one intellectual property for so long. Everyone saves face and the 52%* of people that hated Last Jedi don't have to put up with more of Rian's blasphemy.

*Number based off the highly scientific, infallible Rotten Tomatoes fan score. People who disagree with the score have been proven to hate puppies. People will write songs one day about how perfect and inerrant the Rotten Tomatoes fan score is.

therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  10. therealdeal

11. Weezy

“Like” for commitment to the bit and making me laugh. I think there is a possibility that Rian doesn’t direct the first or maybe even second of his trilogy though. I hadn’t even thought of that, but they talked about it on Jedi Council and Kristian made some good points. Try to win back some fan favor with the Solo movie, give fans that lighter, more fun SW adventure film that TLJ is certainly not. Then JJ does 9, possibly “corrects” perceived “mistakes” and wins back more favor, closes the trilogy off with a crowd pleaser like 7. Then maybe the Obi-Wan movie. Then possibly the first of Rian’s movies but directed by someone else, then the GoT guys’ movie. THEN, possibly 5 movies after TLJ, Rian gets back in the directors chair if the first movie written by him is well-received. That’s a lot of time for SW fans to forgive and forget. Who can say really, but I thought it was decent speculation on Harloff’s part.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Yeah. I watched that Council episode. I agreed with Harloff. He's got a very level head regarding the state of fandom. He doesn't think Star Wars is doomed (neither do I) nor does he think it's simply some tiny vocal minority that some people at Lucasfilm are trying to make it out to be. The only place where I somewhat disagree with Harloff is that not having Rian direct will placate all the fandom. Most people who disliked The Last Jedi didn't really have an issue with the directing of the project. It was the story choices. Most, if not all my problems with the movie started on the page not on the screen. Rian the screenwriter is what ticked me off. Fortunately a lot of the public won't pay attention to the details of that. If JJ cleverly corrects just one or two of my (many) problems with the film, and then the Obi Wan movie crushes, I'll probably be back like the sheep I am. The Han Solo movie is inconsequential. Didn't want it before, don't want it now.

Weezy likes this.
  13. Weezy

I think the issue was mainly with Rian’s story/writing for beloved characters though. He said this new trilogy would be something entirely new, part of the galaxy we’ve never seen, etc. I think with his skills and blank slate, that’s much more of a recipe for success, because he makes damn good movies.

I enjoyed Harloff’s rant on Kathleen Kennedy and the story group at Lucasfilm though, I thought he was mostly spot on. They don’t seem to have a set plan or direction for what films come next and why. He compared it to Marvel, and while I don’t think they need to go THAT far with SW, some form of the Marvel formula is a good idea. We have seen some of that as they pointed out, like a seemingly throw-away line in Rogue One paying off in TLJ about the hyperspace tracking. We’re seeing cool easter eggs repeated like Han’s gold dice. But the larger point about overall canon needing to connect more if they were going to erase the EU so that new canon WOULD all connect and matter was a good one. It’s time to see animated characters/comic book/novel characters more in movies, or vice versa with movie characters in animation. Looking forward to seeing the Emperor on Rebels, hope to see Krennic like they mentioned ok Council as well. They can’t let this new canon get too large and out of control IMO though, a good number of these stories would make better movies/animated shows than comics, they don’t want to get to boxed in with certain periods of time, using really good material on media that only the hardcore fans will ever see.

Kingsama and Savory Griddles like this.
  14. therealdeal

[​IMG]

Han turned this thing into a s*** show.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Weezy like this.
  15. therealdeal

Also Harrison Ford met with Alden Ehrenreich to help with the representation of Han. The movie was also written by Kasdan and his son who helped write Force Awakens and Empire Strikes Back so they know the character thoroughly. Below is a link to a good article that details how much these people put into representing the character well.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/07/harrison-ford-solo-star-wars-story/

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Weezy like this.
  16. Weezy

He made a lot of special modifications himself. :D

I’m liking that this is apparently so many years before ANH for him to be able to do that much. If it weren’t I’d have a harder time buying him as Solo.

17. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Hey man running drugs is a hard business and really wears on your vehicle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

18. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking forward to Rian and GoT guys take on SW. I'm frankly tired of rehashing the old characters and have zero interest in the Solo movie.

therealdeal likes this.
  19. therealdeal

I'm actually slowly building interest.

The lack of marketing is keeping it mysterious which has me interested. :D

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. therealdeal

Anyone watching Rebels? Those last two episodes were pretty tough.

Kanan's death was beautifully rendered and I was surprised by how dark the show got in comparison to it's usual tone. Torturing Hera, killing Kanan, having Zeb almost beat someone to death. That's all pretty heavy. I didn't love the Rohk being painted thing, but everything else was interesting.

I'm eager to see where the crew goes next.

Weezy likes this.