Ss&r: Why D'angelo Russell Deserves Consideration At Number 2

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, May 21, 2015.

1. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

My latest at Silver Screen and Roll where I make the case that D'Angelo Russell should be considered for the number 2 overall pick if it comes down to him and Okafor.

The Los Angeles Lakers not only kept their top-five protected pick on NBA Draft lottery night, they were the only team to move up in the draft, jumping from fourth to second overall. Now the question of who the Lakers will pick is resonating throughout Southern California. The players available for the Lakers to select largely depend on what the Minnesota Timberwolves do with the first overall pick

There have been rumors floating around that the Wolves may select skilled center Jahlil Okafor (and his giant hands) out of Duke. Should that scenario play, the Lakers should unquestionably take Karl-Anthony Towns; the shot-blocking, sweet shooting big man who many have sitting atop their draft boards as the best player available. Towns would be a no-brainer pick for the Lakers, as not only is he the prototype modern-center with rim protecting capabilities and a solid jumper, but he also complements fellow Kentucky alum Julius Randle perfectly.

For now though the Lakers have to assume that the Wolves will come around to the consensus that Towns is the best player in the 2015 draft class, and as such they take him first overall. Without Towns on the board the choice Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss must make likely comes down to Okafor or Ohio State guard D'Angelo Russell. While we can't completely dismiss international point guard Emanuel Mudiay he currently appears to be a distant fourth to the trio of Towns/Okafor/Russell.

Most mock drafts currently have the Lakers selecting Okafor with their second pick, and fans have latched on to that notion, plastering photoshopped images of Okafor (and Towns as well) in Lakers uniforms across social media.

[​IMG]

Our current SS&R poll understandably has Karl-Anthony Towns as the favored pick by a large margin, but after that Jahlil Okafor has more than double the votes of D'Angelo Russell. However, the race between the two is closer than the pro-Okafor sentiment sweeping through Los Angeles would suggest.

D'Angelo Russell is a very real contender for the second overall selection if Towns is off the board. With a strong workout he could find himself donning the Golden Armor instead of the big man from Duke. While the NBA has had the general sentiment that finding bigs takes precedence over guards, that trend may be changing.

The modern NBA has been pushing more and more toward guard-oriented play, with screen and roll actions and ball movement dominating offensive schemes of the top teams. While Lakers coach Byron Scott may not agree, guard play and three-point shooting has become integral to running an efficient offense.

While Jahlil OKafor is a talented player, D'Angelo Russell fits the new breed of NBA basketball perfectly. He shot 41 percent from three in college while dishing out five assists and grabbing 5.7 boards, and his ability to see the floor to find open teammates is a major weapon. Even off the ball he can occupy a defense with his ability to make teams pay for losing track of him with his shooting skills. Versatility is important, and Russell's ability to contribute in a number of ways shouldn't be overlooked.

At 6'5" he's already big for a point guard, and his impressive 6'9.75" wingspan compounds that height advantage and allows him to shoot over defenders easier than most guards. His long arms also help him amass more steals (1.6 per game at Ohio State) and deflections in the passing lanes than those with shorter, T-Rex-style arms.

Good teams get defenses out of position and find open lanes to the basket or kick outs for uncontested threes, and Russell is fantastic at doing just that, especially out of the pick-and-roll. He moves well off the ball to find open space and can get his jumper off quickly if the defense doesn't rotate fast enough, and his tight handle allows him to slide past his defender after even the slightest mistake. If that wasn't enough, his passing can be breathtaking. He finds cutting teammates with pinpoint accuracy, often hitting them with a slick pass before they even realize how open they are.

All of this goes a long way to mitigate concerns about Russell's athletic ability, which has been the biggest knock on him in NBA circles. Teams are rightly concerned about whether or not he has what it takes athletically to become a star, but NBA history is littered with players whose skill level made their perceived athletic faults a non-issue.

Russell also plays the game with the kind of flair that would ignite the Staples Center crowd. No-look passes, killer ball-handling, and deadeye shooting are all part of the package with the lefty assassin. The Lakers could certainly use that kind of showmanship to give their brand a fresh feel. While winning trumps fancy passing and ankle-breakers, Russell is able to incorporate eye-popping plays with efficient basketball, which is an enticing combination for any general manager.

Check out the rest HERE, and vote in the poll!

shoe and thkthebest like this.
  2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if the Russell love is at least partly due to Curry's recent breakthrough/success. A great basketball player that doesn't blow your mind with athleticism, but beats you with skill and vision...both have that "it" factor. That flair.

I like Russell, but we have to take Okafor. We have NO center. Randle may end up being a hybrid which means we may have NO bigs. We DO have a very talented young guard though. And as always, all things being equal, take the big.

I will say this though, if we take Russell and don't take Okafor, I will trust it's because the FO saw that special something that West saw in Kobe 20 years ago, and I will not be mad...and it'd be hilarious that Philly would likely have to take Okafor and be stuck trade one of their bigs.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  3. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i wish there was a way we could watch these picks working out for the Lakers

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Call Jeanie. She's really cool about stuff. [​IMG]

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  5. pound4pound

in the age of social media and everything being 'news', there's GOTTA be a way to watch these prospects work out

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

We're going to draft Okafor. Then sign Rondo to fill the PG need...

7. pound4pound

i think Rondo would just eff things up

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  8. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Your articles are top-notch. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy them.

9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    [​IMG]

Shaq does NOT approve this little man focused thread.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. Savory Griddles

We have this guy who was First Team All Rookie, had a PER well above the league average and is a tireless worker. He's also really athletic, has a fantastic head on his shoulders and is making 900k next season. As luck would have it he plays point guard. What is this "PG need" you speak of?

Ryanwestlombardi and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

Just trolling man, honestly. Rondo always gets the reactions. :)

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  12. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.

[​IMG]

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Sure he should get considered, but then we should take Okafor or Towns and not look back (probably and for me preferably Okafor).

Look, I'm honestly getting pretty sick of this "recent trend" argument. How many teams win without a dominant post presence? At least a reliable post presence? How many teams win with combo guards on the wing?

San Antonio- Duncan
    Miami- Bosh/LeBron
    Dallas- Nowitzski***
    Lakers- Gasol/Kobe
    Boston- Garnett***
    Miami- Shaq
    Spurs- Duncan
    Detroit- Wallace***
    Spurs- Duncan
    Lakers- Shaq
    Spurs- Duncan/Robinson
    Bulls- Jordan
    Rockets- Dream
    Bulls- Jordan***
    Detroit- NONE!

You have to go back all the way to Detroit in 1989 or at best Detroit in 2004 to find a team that has won without at least a post presence. You could argue that Dirk and KG aren't traditional post players, but they had fadeaways that they set up through back-to-basket moves that were unguardable.

I've been hearing about this trend to smaller teams for years and yet nearly every champion for the last 30 years has needed a post presence. How many of these teams had slender, average-athlete guards on them as one of their main components? The only one I can think of really is Ginobili or late version Wade, but both of them are/were more athletic than Russell. Maybe Kidd? But he needed Dirk. We don't have Dirk.

Dominant post play is what this league is about and always has been. That's why players develop it as they get older. This season will be the first season since Detroit that a Championship is won without a post presence. Is that because the league wants it that way or is it because there's no dominant post players? So what's more likely do we think? Unless you are absolutely convinced that Russell is the next Curry, there's no way I pick him over Okafor or Towns. None.

14. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'll take it a step further. Even IF (big if) Russell is the next Curry, I still lean toward the guy that is the next possible Duncan. Curry hasn't won anything yet. Duncan has 5 times.

Now if he were the next MJ or Kobe...

15. therealdeal

Exactly my point. The next great wing player is such a crap shoot. Most big men with size and a little heart will at least be NBA players. Finding the next star perimeter guy is much more difficult.

Kellerman on ESPN710 compares Russell to Magic Johnson, Ricky Rubio, and Mike Conley... I don't see any of those comparisons being terribly accurate.

Sorry @unpossibl1 I'm not trashing your opinion of the kid needing consideration at this spot. I think Mudiay, Stan Johnson, Cauley-Stein, and Winslow all need to be considered briefly. In the end though the right player is either Towns or Okafor.

16. Savory Griddles

[​IMG]

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

LOL!!

18. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

No worries at all, I'm not even sure that Russell should be the pick myself. I would be happy to get Towns or Okafor, my point was mainly that we shouldn't just dismiss Russell as an option. All the rumors thus far have the Lakers taking whichever big Minnesota doesn't select, but we have heard very little from the Lakers themselves (and rightfully so). The Lakers are a tight-lipped team, their moves tend to come from seemingly out of nowhere. Even though Okafor is the favorite Russell has some serious skills and needs to be given a long look before any conclusions are reached.

Heck, it wouldn't even shock me to see the Lakers select Mudiay. Mitch and the front office do a solid job of evaluating talent, and if they decide that Okafor is the better pick then I'll happily celebrate his arrival, just as I will if it's Russell, Mudiay, or Winslow. So yeah, no offense taken at all.

19. therealdeal

Awesome attitude and exactly the one I have. I know I come off anti-Russell, but I think that's just because there's such a strong pro-Russell group.

I'd love to know that the Lakers are working out ALL of the top 10 prospects just to see what they're getting and what they might be missing out on.

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Stay strong @unpossibl1

Don't let @therealdeal bully you.

Russell is the best guy in the draft hands down. Lol

LaVarBallsDad likes this.