Presidential Election Aftermath: What Now / What Next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by davriver209, Aug 11, 2015.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

The DNC chose the wrong person to back... I tried explaining this to my brother who was a die hard Hilary supporter. I'm like dude, she's got no energy, people hate her, she doesn't get the rallies like Bernie did... I personally don't like Bernie cause I feel he lives in a somewhat fantasy land where college is free, healthcare is free and unicorns and rainbows litter the landscape... But he would've either gave Trump a harder time during the election, or won... Simple as that, dude was getting crazy amounts of people at his rallies.

2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Bernie didn't promise "free" anything. That's as much as a misconception as Obama not being born American.

He was trying to make college and healthcare more accessible to everyone. Secondly, Bernie had a real plan to go after the corrupt players in the government and financial institutions where a lot of the money was being "lost" and could be used to fund such programs.

Barnstable likes this.
  3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Senator Cruz has proposed a bill for Congressional Term Limits.

:ShaqOh2:

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2940

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) today proposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to impose term limits on members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

“D.C. is broken,” said Sen. Cruz. “The American people resoundingly agreed on Election Day, and President-elect Donald Trump has committed to putting government back to work for the American people. It is well past time to put an end to the cronyism and deceit that has transformed Washington into a graveyard of good intentions.”

Cruz continued: “The time is now for Congress, with the overwhelming support of the American people, to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification. With control of a decisive majority of the states, the House of Representatives, and the Senate, we have a responsibility to answer the voters’ call-to-action. We must deliver.”

“Term limits are the first step towards reforming Capitol Hill,” said Rep. DeSantis. “Eliminating the political elite and infusing Washington with new blood will restore the citizen legislature that our Founding Fathers envisioned. The American people have called for increased accountability and we must deliver. Senator Cruz has been instrumental in efforts to hold Congress accountable, and I look forward to working with him to implement term limits.”

“President Trump, Speaker Ryan and huge majorities of the American people are demanding term limits,” said U.S. Term Limits President Philip Blumel. “Congress must listen and pass the Cruz-DeSantis amendment immediately.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree with everything both men said...but it ain't happening. They aren't going to give up their cushy gigs. They'll come up with some spin that they agree with term limits, but something else in the amendment is not good and they will deny it on those grounds.

5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm all for it, but I feel they stole the idea from somewhere. Can't remember who, but it's probably Bernie

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Bernie is one of the oldest members of the Congress, he's as guilty as any of them. :D

It'll never pass, but boy it'd be amazing if it did. Cruz must feel like he has nothing to lose trying to ingratiate himself to the people since his peers hate his creepy face.

TIME likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    And give up that ridiculous retirement package? Or does that remain, and become even more offensive since there will be so many more total members that served? That has to be addressed too.

John3:16 likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Cruz is a slime ball. He likely started this ammendment and snuck something in there that is so bad that no one will vote for it. That way he can say, "I tried to set term limits!" and know he will still keep his job.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  9. therealdeal

Oh absolutely. None of these crooks is going to actually take the path of giving themselves less money. That sort of altruism just doesn't exist anymore and certainly not on that grand scale.

10. lakerfan2

Am I crazy or does Trump really think Mexico will pay for the "Wall"?

Meanwhile, the US Taxmoney will be spent on initially building it...yeah, that'll go well.

Forget education, forget healthcare, spend the all of the money on building a useless wall and creating tax loopholes for companies...

11. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    How much do we give them each year in foreign aid? $41 million in 2012. $51 million in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_aid_recipients

A wall would cost between $5 and $25 billion.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...rump-plans-build-wall-along-us-mexico-border/

It would be an easy negotiation. Pay for the wall or you don't get foreign aid.

People can laugh (or cry) at the things Trump does and I'll join you, but when it comes to the economy, he'll be fine.

12. Barnstable

A wall will do nothing IMO.

They will just dig more tunnels underneth

John3:16 likes this.
  13. lakerfan2

I'm not doubting his prowess with his own finances, but the US Economy is a whole different beast.

When you have everyone coming at you trying to lobby themselves into his pocket, it's just asking for trouble.

Which is why I question a lot of his cabinet picks being so heavy with Wall Street players from the likes Goldman Sachs, when he was going around saying he would do the opposite.

I get he has positions on certain issues and those are his picks, but he's already got a lot of people with conflicting pasts coming in to "help" him make decisions.

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  14. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I'll definitely say that after Trump won, I got carried away by all the hyperbole on the left. Everyone was acting like the world was over so I started defending Trump a bit more and giving him the benefit of the doubt. It still is early obviously, but at this point I think it's settling in. No, Trump isn't gonna be Hitler, but he is gonna be pretty bad.

I don't even care about the Russia stuff though. It almost feels like the old guard/establishment on both sides are just using it to draw attention away from things that really matter.

Barnstable likes this.
  15. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^ my opinion on the Russian hacking:

- Trump was a leading voice in the Birther movement to delegitimize Obama presidency. Obama is returning the favor

- Clapper said Russia hacked. This is the same guy who said NSA wasn't spying on US citizens

- Assange has never been wrong on anything he's released. Not once. And he was destroying Bush when he was in office.

- where is the proof???

Barnstable likes this.
  16. therealdeal

The lack of proof so far is astonishing. Everyone is saying "look, look, look!" but I've yet to see proof of what the Russians did outside of the CIA and FBI saying they think it happened.

Meanwhile... what we're talking about here (and correct me if I'm wrong) is Liberals upset that the Russians hacked into the DNC and revealed that the DNC was cheating, lying, and covering themselves up. Is that accurate? So the Liberals are upset that they've been exposed and are somehow spinning it so that the bad guys are the Russians and not the Liberals who were cheating. Hm.

Helljumper and John3:16 like this.
  17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
  18. Barnstable

I actually think that's the DNC run media pushing that line. Most liberals I know are concerned about Russia, but they recognize that what was exposed, whatever the source, is the truth

19. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I think they need to change the word from rigging to influenced.

When I hear rigging, I'm thinking Russia added votes. That didn't happen.

Influenced I'd actually agree with, if provided some proof.

"The 80s called and they want their foreign policy back." -- President Obama to Mitt Romney during debate when Romney said Russia was our biggest geopolitical foe.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  20. therealdeal

I have no doubt that Russia influenced our election.

I also have no doubt that this is a common practice among every nation everywhere. We want certain people in positions of power who we believe will help the United States. If ALL they're saying is Russia used their influence to expose Liberal wrongdoings, then I don't care honestly. It's weird because people accuse Trump of BOTH being Putin's pocket AND being too confrontation with Putin and putting us all in danger. Which is it?

John3:16 and Barnstable like this.