Paul George Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 23, 2017.

1. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I think at the end of the day, we have to divide objective points and subjective points into two seperate piles.

OKC being able to spend is objective. OKC being willing to spend is subjective.

OKC offering the max to PG is fairly objective. OKC being competitive enough to convince PG to sign is subjective.

Right now I lean towards the he is gone camp. I just don’t believe the reasoning has to do with money or ability to spend. I think Roberson was a huge part of their starting unit and ability to win in the playoffs. And this was a one year audition.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

@real and vash: harden didn't leave because the thunder wouldn't offer him enough. he left because they could NEVER offer him what he knew houston could. it was one of the great ironies of the lockout fallout--a small market team got killed because they had drafted too well. the money he's making right now in houston simply could not have happened had he stayed in okc. his agent knew that, and his direct quote supports this notion as well: if he could be making 40 million per in okc right now, he'd still be there. but he couldn't. not because they refused to pay, but because they were barred by nba rules from being able to pay him like he's paid now.

they had to decide whether to pay westbrook and durant or harden and one of those two. they tried to lock up harden long term (and most certainly would have made up the 1 million per year difference, lol), and he and his agent saw the writing on the wall, as did okc. every single team in the league would have done the same.

long story short: harden left because of money, but not because okc was cheap--which is the point that would be relevant to the current conversation. okc isn't deciding between paul george, kevin durant, and russell westbrook. they're deciding between westbrook and george and westbrook and the MLE. just not at all comparable.

svtzr likes this.
  3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is inaccurate.

Oklahoma decided that they would not give him the full max contract. There was no rule keeping them from doing that. They had a policy of asking players to take less to stay in Oklahoma City. Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka both signed contracts for less than the market price to stay. Oklahoma asked James Harden to do the same thing and sign for 4/55 million (originally tried for 4/52 million) instead of 4/60 million which was the max. That was Oklahoma's choice, that wasn't forced on them. They had every ability to offer James a 4/60 million dollar deal and they decided not to in order to avoid luxury tax penalties.

The Thunder essentially claimed they couldn't pay for everybody. Westbrook took a cut, Ibaka took a cut, and then the gave 36 million to Kendrick Perkins which was the nail in the coffin. Here's a post breaking down the taxes they'd have to pay. But the point is they didn't and they decided to trade Harden instead. They let Harden go to avoid paying massive taxes. They essentially, and this was a discussion point at the time, chose to keep Kendrick Perkins over clearing enough space to keep Harden. Doesn't that situation sound similar to this one?

Here's the story from Windhorst in 2012 that details Oklahoma "staying to their script" of not paying massive luxury taxes and sacrificing to do so by forcing their players to either sign for below market value or get traded. This is what OKC has done and has always done. They jettison players before their big paydays with the exception of their stars. We all agree that George will be offered the max in this new climate where the stars need their max money, but that 100% means that the Thunder will do what is necessary to get below the luxury tax penalty. Carmelo Anthony's No Trade Clause was retained after his trade from New York to Oklahoma so he's going to likely stay (unless he's traded to one of his friends). That means that Adams is the likely candidate heading out as well as maybe Roberson.

4. therealdeal

If you mean that you think George is gone, I agree with you.

I try to be rational about these situations. I know I'm biased, but I still try to see it from other perspectives. I honestly though at this point don't see a situation where the Lakers don't at least have a GREAT pitch to throw at George. We can offer him almost anything he wants. We've heard complaints about our pitch before; usually it's about our product on the court. Well in that meeting we have:

1. Cheap, useful, versatile talent.
    2. Money. As much as anyone can offer besides OKC.
    3. The ability to get him a running mate that's max level if he wants it.
    4. The LA market which is absolutely parched and in need of a "hero" on the court. The market is flat out famished waiting for a star to come take this place.
    5. Flexibility to do what he wants done. Trade the young guys for established talent? Sure. Keep the young guys to stay fresh? Sure. Go get a max guy and trade the kids? Sure. Go get a max guy and keep the kids? Sure. Which direction do you want to go? We can do it for you.

We've got all the right answers. The question is can we sell it? And can we get someone else to buy it too? I don't know. I hope so. I would certainly buy it, but I'm not the guy on the court.

5. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Although I understand the points, I still have a hard time believing $1m per was the deciding factor in all of this. Harden would of never been eligible for a 5 year super max contract with Russ and Durant in front of him. He also would of never got the role he needed to show what he was capable of. I’m quite sure when they sat at the table it wasn’t just the $1m Harden was asking for - but rather a larger role, maybe even a swap with Westbrook in the pecking order.

6. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I see it the same way as you Nostrabeerus!

TIME likes this.
  7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Great breakdown....recent renditions of the CBA has heavily favored the home team and their drafted players. If Clay and OKC ownership wanted to keep their young core intact, nothing would hold them back from doing so...other than themselves, of course.

Also, with Melo opting in and George demanding the max, 10 players will have guaranteed contracts that come out to 146M. Therefore, OKC is only armed with the tax-paying MLE of 5.4M and vet mins to fill out the roster and since they are above the tax apron of $129M, they will not be able to participate in S&Ts and will have far more stricter trading parameters.

Oh and did we mention the taxes that would come with a roster that isn't even a definitive Finals participant....meanwhile in 2012 they had one and didn't partake in far lesser punitive luxury taxes to retain that core.

Hey, but keep believing Clay is that dude.

8. therealdeal

I agree about the super max, but Harden himself admitted if the Thunder had given him his max at the time he would have taken it. The reason he left is they offered him less than the max AND wanted him off the bench. That was too much to ask.

The point still stands that they refused an extra 5 million and it cost them at least 4 years of Harden. The franchise has a reputation for thrift for a reason.

TIME, Barnstable, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  9. JohnnyComeLately2k6

JohnnyComeLately2k6 - Lakers 6th Man -

Data Vampire Buckaroo
  10. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Oklahoma were up by 28 points
    Now they are losing
    Let's go Queens

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Oklahoma won .Well..

12. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    You give them lotto teams and they may actually miss the playoffs. Too bad they have a lot of games remaining against the elite teams.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

*sigh*

the point doesn't stand. it's ridiculous to believe they were moved to trade harden over the 1 million per year difference in contract desires. it's ridiculous to believe harden if he says it. i don't even think you really believe that. it was about a lot of things, and the money involved, long-term, was MUCH larger.

none of those other things are true now:

they have a clear role and obvious need for the player in question
    the player in question is an obvious superstar and not a bench player who just s*** the bed in the finals
    the player in question does not stand to make significantly more money over the long haul by requesting a trade elsewhere

okc is cheap. the let kevin martin walk after taking him as a key on-court piece in the harden deal. but they haven't played that game with allstars, which is why we're discussing it.

if we were arguing whether they'd attach a second rounder to move patrick patterson, you'd have a point. but we're talking about whether they will offer george the max. they will.

svtzr likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Wait, so you're just going to ignore all evidence and a person's own account? How exactly can you make a reasoned argument? You made a claim that OKC couldn't offer more money, that was wrong and I proved that. I showed exactly how OKC decided not to offer the max, why, and how it affected Harden's decision making, and you just ignored it.

This is a statement of fact that you cannot escape: If the Thunder had made a full max offer, Harden would have stayed. That's the truth. It's been reported on for 6 years and has come from Harden himself. If you don't want to hear it or admit, then this conversation is over because I've already provided evidence for it. The Thunder had an opportunity to keep Harden around and stay competitive for a max offer and drew the line at 4/55 instead of 4/60, that happened, it's the truth. You can keep dismissing it if you want, but all that does is weaken your argument. I won't link any more articles proving this to you, I already have.

Well here's one more, I'm not sure if I included it last time. http://dailythunder.com/headlines/harden-money-was-the-deciding-factor-in-leaving-okc/

If you can provide any sort of evidence against Harden signing on for 4 more years, I'm all ears. At that point, who was thinking about the supermax extension for him? He and his agent were really counting on that for the 6th man? Sure Houston opened a door, but they couldn't have known in that moment that he'd be worth that much money thanks to the NBA propping him up for years. It was an opportunity, but it was a footnote. He could have stayed in OKC, won titles, earned more money off endorsements, and at that age why wouldn't he consider that?
    1) you already, just now, admitted that they're cheap so I already have a point. I don't need to worry about Patrick Patterson.
    2) I already have said, and have said multiple times, that they're going to give George the max. We've agreed on that.
    3) Their cheapness is in reference to the fact that they will sign George to a new deal if they can and then they will proceed to gut their team from large, movable contracts. Considering that Carmelo has a NTC, it's likely that they'll have to dump Adams and/or Roberson in order to avoid major luxury taxes. OKC is good at the shuffle and will likely still be somewhat competitive, but their aversion to paying big luxury tax penalties is now well documented in this thread alone (by me). I have no doubt in my mind, and nobody else should either, that when the time comes they'll offer George the max and then proceed to shed salary.

TIME likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

because it in no way addressed the point: okc couldn't have done what houston (or other teams, for that matter) has done contractually for harden. it's pretty simple.

yeah, i've got bridges to sell. he may have been insulted by the negotiation process, but people (including harden and his agent) were aware of the opportunities elsewhere. it's not the sort of thing you discuss with the press. didn't harden almost immediately sign a huge extension for more money in houston? couldn't have happened in okc. no way he and his agent didn't know that. i'd lay a lot of money down that morey's people had made sure they knew that, probably via illegal contact.

https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2012/10/31/james-harden-houston-rockets-max-contract-five-year

and okc didn't draw the line at 55 million; they simply realized that harden was eventually leaving, probably as a disgruntled player. so they sold high (at the time, people thought it was a good haul).

again, george isn't in that situation. they don't control his contract, and they don't have better, more expensive players ahead of him.

the point is that it wasn't about 4 million. not to okc, and that's who matters in this case. whether it was about 4 million to harden is immaterial.

don't know what they'll do, other than offer george the max. people have been holding up the harden situation as suggestion that they will try to lowball george in negotiations. i've pointed out why that's not happening, and you seem to agree.

whether they're going to cut salary otherwise has no bearing on what's going to happen with george, a point you've already granted. i'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but i've already proven my point: that finances won't impact how they approach paul george in free agency.

16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

OKC is a flawed team. They arent winning d***. PG will be in PG in July. Sit back and enjoy the games.

tada, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  17. therealdeal

For that contract, you are 100% wrong. OKC could have offered him the max and they didn't. I don't know why you're so stubbornly refusing to admit this point. They could have offered him the max, he didn't sign it. It's well documented. If you're unwilling to accept this truth, there's no point in continuing. I've provided nothing but evidence for you and you're at this point purposely ignoring that point. You're right it is very simple.
    Of course it was down the line, but we've been talking about the details of negotiation in this page for weeks now: it doesn't matter down the line. In the moment, Harden was willing to sign a max extension to stay in OKC and he didn't. OKC held firm on their offer and then traded him when they couldn't get him to sign for below market value. If you need the sources again here you go:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ract-forced-okc-thunder-to-trade-james-harden
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1386950-james-harden-reportedly-rejects-4-year-deal-with-thunder
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8563645

Had they offered the max at the time, James was going to sign that contract. After that, things would work themselves out. Once it was clear that OKC wasn't going to make that offer, then sure they moved on to what they may have considered a greener pasture, but the argument you're trying to make is revisionary and flies in the face of facts that I am showing to you. Moving out of OKC was a door closing (competing, trying to become a dynasty like the Warriors currently have) and a window opening (perhaps future competitiveness and a bigger payday). You're trying to frame what actually happened (OKC refusing to pay) as Harden masterminding his way to a massive payday that nobody was counting on. Nobody was counting on Harden, the 6th man, being an MVP candidate. You, as someone who hates Harden, should know and appreciate that. Unless you think Harden and his agent in 2012 knew that Harden was going to make multiple All-NBA teams (a condition of the super max). Harden didn't even make an All-NBA team until his 2014 season though, so it would seem that was more of a " hope and opportunity" than a "I was never going to sign in OKC" which is what you're essentially claiming even though he said the exact opposite and I provided a link to that as well.

And sure he signed that deal as soon as he landed, why wouldn't he? Again, this all happens only after Houston gets him. It's not a thought if he signs a max deal from OKC which was never offered. Because they're cheap.
    This is false though. The OKC Thunder sold him only when he refused to sign for less than a max contract. They never offered a max contract. They sold high on him only after he refused to take a pay cut to stay with the team (that also wanted him to stay as the 6th man) and they refused to part ways with Kendrick Perkins in order to avoid the major tax hit that was coming. The Thunder picked thrift and Perkins over Harden. It's well documented.
    It was never about 4 million (the number is actually 5 million). It was about what 5 million more to Harden would do to the Thunder's payroll. That is why the George and Harden situations are similar, it's pretty simple. If they pay George, they're going to have a luxury tax penalty that is worth roughly twice what they would be paying for the team regularly. The OKC Thunder will not do that. They will make moves to lessen their tax hit as they always have. That move will not include trading away George or Westbrook and is unlikely to include Carmelo (NTC). That means Adams and/or Roberson is likely out. That is my point and has been all along.

The point is that OKC refused to offer a full max contract and thus lost their chance at a dynasty. They had routinely asked players for years to make sacrifices so that the team's payroll was within reason and Harden refused to take less than the max. They refused to pay less than the max, and so they lost their chance at a dynasty. Now we're expected to believe they'd be willing to pay 300+ million dollars for this roster? Why would I believe that?

I don't know what you're arguing either! I've agreed with all of that already.

My point is that the finances will be dealt with after they've signed George (if they can). They'll shed players and salaries to find a way to get George to stay, but the cheapness of the OKC Thunder has been well documented. They will offer George all the money he is eligible for, but the team's depth will suffer for it. They'll likely lose some of their role players.

It's up to the Lakers to be able to use OKC's thrift against them. The Lakers (lying of course) can say that they'll pay whatever they have to so they can field a winner. Our position of flexibility is something the Thunder don't have and can't have at this point. Signing two max guys now buys us about 3-4 years before we have to sign the youngsters to new deals and at that point we can figure out who/where we have to make moves. It's a pretty great fit (assuming the youngsters prove they can win). And if we have to move two of them for a more established guy, again all the contracts meeting at the same time provides more opportunity for flexibility when it's time for everyone to get extensions or whatnot.

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Is that anything like LeBron talking in the 3rd person?

:Magic Brows:

Cookie likes this.
  19. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    I'm confused. d*** in his post was what exactly? Anyway, as low as our chances of signing PG this summer may appear, it is still 10x higher and better than signing LeBron. For so many reasons, not one of which is talent.

We have Kyle, Julius and BI playing 3-4 already. Adding up a couple more players most efficient at those same positions doesn't make sense. Unless we don't want to maximize the talent of those acquired players in their peak or we want the development of our youngsters to slowdown a bit by having them spend a bulk of their minutes warming up the side seats.

PG13 is inarguably at his best @3. He despises playing 4 and the last time he played 2 was in his sophomore year. Lebron is definitely S/PF. Acquiring PG and/or LeBron, must be paired with signing at least a competent SG/PG & PF/C.

Although, fielding in a lineup of all 6'8, 6'9 guys in PF Kuzma, PG Ingram, C Randle, SG PG13 & SF LeBron would be insane. Unlimited switches.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

d*** is what d*** has always been

:Laugh:

"PG will be in PG in July"

Weak .... I know. Is it almost 7:30 yet?