Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Affleck fired some shots at Marvel movies the other day, said some really stupid things. Stuff about how DC is being more realistic and trying to show the consequences of all this violence and destruction while Marvel characters crack jokes as civilians are dying (As if a movie about a space alien sent to Earth, and it's sun giving him superhuman powers, and then a movie about a normal human in some sort of armored suit is able to fight him is realistic to start with). Apparently Wayne's bundling was destroyed in the Superman/Zod fight and people he knew and that worked for him died, so he's mad. I believe the word "glib" was thrown in there somewhere by Affleck, which is always smart after the Tom Cruise "glib" incident (and also reminded me of Liv Tyler calling the SW prequels "camp" from her high horse since she was such a big character in the more serious LOTR trilogy).

Look, if you want to go the dark and serious route with the DC movies, that's fine, but c'mon, don't take shots at the incredibly successful, most of the time very high quality (IMO) Marvel comic book movies. Get your franchise established as quality before you do that, because up to this point, being kind and saying from 2000 on, if we aren't counting Nolan, most of the DC stuff has been garbage (Catwoman, Superman Returns, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern). On the other hand, what Marvel has done in weaving together this giant universe through movies AND TV shows and making it all work and fit, has been pretty remarkable.

Again, if you want to go dark and "realistic", fine, but these are comic book movies, nothing about them at the core, is realistic. Don't go overboard touting that angle in your movies. I'd actually say as far as realistic goes, some of the ideas Marvel presents are taken from current events. Some stuff in the first half of the first Iron Man for example. A lot of the ideas of CA: Winter Soldier, with Hydra sort of representing what can happen with something like Project Paperclip (obviously to a comic book extreme), and giving the government or military too much power (Eisenhower speech, military industrial complex). In the end, they're movies, they're fun and entertainment even in the case of serious ones, I don't see the point of Affleck's stupid comments.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    TIME likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

First of all DC's upcoming film slots are based off of the successes that Marvel has enjoyed as a massive shared universe. :D

Second of all their "dark" universe sucks. Man of Steel is worse on re-watch. You want to talk realistic? The sweet, flowery end to Man of Steel where he flies off and all the military personnel look at him like "oh you!" is completely preposterous. The world would collaborate to find some way to defeat him because he just was responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of people.

This current iteration of Superman is killing DC in America because he's no longer the symbol of hope and freedom and the American way. Sorry, but that title has been taken up by Chris Evans across the hall. For years Superman was about those three things, now he's a moody alien who destroys our stuff. He's as unrelatable as you can possibly be. For me, I've always been a Marvel guy because most of their core characters are based in some sort of human issue. Geeky kid who was bullied, outcasts, men full of hubris. These are all vastly human issues and they make the comic more meaningful to me. DC has always been more about the fantastic and the unimaginable which is fine, but not my cup of tea. Now they're trying to buck that trend and they're trying to be grounded? The ONLY hero that is half-way grounded is Batman and that's really mostly because of Nolan's terrific vision of the character. Superman isn't grounded and he isn't supposed to be. He's supposed to be an ideal.

To bash on the other movies in your genre is silly. They're paving the way for DC to regain some relevancy. Right now DC is far behind Marvel in movie production. REALLY far behind. DC hasn't even made their Wonder Woman movie and Marvel has made a movie about a talking tree and a raccoon, a movie about a guy controlling ants comes out next week, and they've made a dozen movies about characters half as popular as Batman or Superman.

Affleck always sounds like a pretentious jerk when he opens his mouth. Reminds me of a lot of talented people in show business.

Kenzo, TIME and Weezy like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

And here's cam quality partial of the suicide squad trailer. You can't see for the guy's head, but can hear Leto's joker

5. therealdeal

Looks super intense. First look at Wonder Woman looks good. I thought Man of Steel looked good in trailers too though...

I'm hoping for the best! Still not stoked about Batman vs. Superman but stoked they're in the same movie.

6. gill

gill - Rookie -

This trailer is much better than the first one.

Still not sold on this version of Lex Luthor. His voice is throwing me off.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  7. Weezy

That was a very good trailer, not having a problem with Affleck as batman at this point. Don't get or like Eisenberg in this so far though. I actually did like Man of Steel, so I do also like the continuation of the Superman story that I see so far, the bit with his mom was good. Still, don't get the Superman VS Batman aspect, as even in his armored suit or whatever, Superman just has to poke Batman in his exposed mouth, or bast his heat vision there, but it's a movie so I'll play along

Saw the full Suicide Squad trailer elsewhere, also liked what I saw. Liked what I saw and heard of Leto's Joker quite a bit, even if it was like 5 seconds of screen time maybe. Seems like one of the perfect actors for the job.

8. gill

gill - Rookie -

I see a lot of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns material in this trailer: How Batman is able to go toe-to-toe against Superman, references to Robin's death, and of course Batman coming out of retirement.

Not sure how Wonder Woman fits in the whole story overall. Aquaman is also set to appear in this movie to. Too bad they didn't show him.

It's definitely looking good! Still has a long way to go though in terms of catching up with Marvel's Cinematic Universe complexity but it looks like a good start.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. therealdeal

I honestly just don't like the feel of this. It's so dark and edgy to me it's not the right look for Superman. Superman is supposed to be the beacon of hope and instead they've kind of turned him into a monster. Batman is supposed to be the edgy guy everyone hates, but in this he's the one we're supposed to relate to. Just seems off.

I think Cavill and Affleck have the look absolutely though. Just looking at them in costume I think "yeah that's Batman and Superman".

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

It was a good trailer, too soon to really tell. @therealdeal I agree on the look, I was skeptical about Affleck...but so far so good.

@Weezy yeah, not a fan of Lex at this point. I don't know why Rosenbaum never got the chance, he nailed it in Smallville. If they wanted to go younger than the previous interpretations, he would've been my pick. I don't give two s***s about people mistaking it for a Smallville movie. Other than him, they should've went with the initial rumor of Cranston.

The leaked footage of suicide squad was better than I expected. Would like to see a better quality version though. Their panel was weak though, only 4 minutes (footage excluded) because they are busy filming and just dropped in to say hi to the fans.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

therealdeal likes this.
  12. GNC

GNC - Rookie -

[​IMG]

BvS and SS trailers were ******* awesome!

13. gill

gill - Rookie -

I'm a Marvel guy but even those trailers got me pumped.

I think Leto's Joker is gonna be great on its own but fans out there will always compare him to Ledger's legendary performance.

Margo Robbie looks great as Harley

And Will...

[​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

I feel like Smith is misplaced in this, but the trailer looks fantastic. I had my doubts about this movie, but I'm diggin' Suicide Squad. I like that one better than SvB actually.

lakersyunowin likes this.
  15. Weezy

As far as Leto's Joker being compare to Ledger's, it's inevitable. That said, it depends how much he's actually in the movie, which I hope is more than we've heard. I think absolutely he'll be compared to Ledger simply because that was the last Joker. But, that was a big budget, hugely anticipated sequel and one of the biggest movies of that year if not the biggest. This, is a small movie, a pretty different movie with the villains being the focus ,and I think if you asked the casual viewer they wouldn't even be aware a new move with the Joker is coming out or that Leto is playing him.

I think that works in his favor because for a lot of people this will come out of nowhere and if he's good as the Joker people will not have seen it coming, and be surprised by it, and love it. It's clearly a much different take on the character than Nolan's, more traditional comic book, and shouldn't be compared to Ledger's, but allowed to be what it is, and judged in the context of this movie/universe.

As for Will Smith, I kinda get it because he's an actor that is believable as a villain, yet one that you can root for and believe as the good guy at the same time. I think you need a guy like that at the center of this if you want it to give it some credibility, a little star power, a little more weight if that makes sense.

16. therealdeal

Yeah Will legitimizes the movie a bit, but I just feel like he's an odd fit still. Maybe it's because I haven't seen him in anything good for a long time.

I actually really dig Leto's Joker in that little clip. He sounds good and looks alright. I HATE some of the tattoos, but he's got a real crazy vibe to him that I love.

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Margo as Harley :inlove:

18. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

Looks like a lot of interesting casting in these movies, Ben as the Bats, Jared as the Joker, Jesse as Lex which I think is the most peculiar one but I guess we'll see how he pulls that off. I'm guessing he's wearing a wig in the shots we saw in the trailer. Anyway, if these two are good enough I think DC can start to build a solid universe, of course not on the level as Marvel (hell they're a conglomerate right now), but they actually might become respectable with a few movies.

Okay dream scenario. It would be crazy expensive and would require complete cooperation on both sides, but would love to see movie versions of the DC vs Marvel comics that were published back in 1996. I know it'll never happen, but one can dream...

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Epic....

raviator and TIME like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    special effects make something like this possible like never before.

I never followed this before, so I'm admittedly curious as to why super heroes are fighting, and who exactly is supposed to lose. Heroes aren't supposed to lose....