Official Dc Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JSM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The craft beers on tap are also great for when I have to watch a Bridget Jones Diary movie or something like that.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If I were DC, I'd forget everything that happened before Wonder Woman and start there. Seriously I would. I'd recast if I had to. Gal Gadot and the goodwill she's fostered with this movie are enough to convince me to go that route.

She is immediately the most likable of all the characters DC has given us thus far.

There are some problems with the continuity now though too:
    if she stopped WW1 (or ended it) by killing Ares, why did WW2 happen? If it happened because people suck, why didn't she stop it? She was very against killing because everyone was under a spell, but once she was in the warzone it was fine and she killed a LOT of people. She told Batman that 100 years ago she learned not to interfere with men, but that's the opposite lesson she learned in the movie. That basically means she's worthy of telling us who to kill and everyone else isn't. If she's a god, is she not the most powerful person in the world? She's basically indestructible. She might be stronger than Superman.

The movie was good enough that I honestly don't care that much about those issues. Some people prefer heroes that don't need moralizing, they're just ideals to strive for. That's cool. I get that. Sometimes we need that.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Her powers are now really confusing to me. She got cut early in the movie during the beach scene. It healed fast, but she seemed more like Jessica Jones with some magic toys at that point. Is she actually indestructible? Does she need to block the bullets? Are her bracers the source of certain powers (like the lightning at the end) or do they just absorb other powers and fire them back?

I hope they clear up the powers a bit in Justice League. Despite this being a MUCH better movie than Batman vs Superman and arguably MoS (I still really do like parts of that movie) Superman's powers are pretty clearly defined. WW is all over the place. At the end of the movie it almost seems like she ascends to some higher plane of existence and has a sort of Neo in the Matrix (part one) moment. Almost to the point where she is toying with Ares. But 100 years later, Doomsday is basically having zero problem with her? If Superman doesn't use the Kryptonian spear, I'm not sure that Doomsday isn't still pummeling every living thing he comes across right now.

As far as the humans starting WWII without Ares, if Ares is to be somewhat believed, he isn't the one causing the wars. He is sort of suggesting them and giving information to scientists on how to build bigger, badder weapons. He's not controlling them. He's just sort of the "Kick his a--, Seabass!" guy. Maybe she didn't stop WWII because she realized humans did this with zero "encouragement" from Ares and that soured her a bit on people?

5. therealdeal

I'm fine with that logic, but then the very last shot is her springing into action against something we can't even see or hear. So... what changed? She sat there, even knowing men are stupid, and let WW2 happen, but she can't let someone get pick pocketed a few streets away. That makes no sense.

And yeah the power levels are all wonky. Unless that means Doomsday was by far the most powerful being that's ever existed in that universe as far as we know. To be able to hold its own against Superman AND Wonder Woman... That means whatever that thing is, is ridiculously powerful.

6. Savory Griddles

I'm kind of hoping the whole story Zeus told the Amazonians is a little fabricated. Maybe Zeus and the rest of the gods are sort of like the Engineers in the Alien universe where they technically did create man in a way, but are really just advanced versions? That would explain why Wonder Woman is uber powerful because she is a direct descendant of this master race that birthed the weaker humans rather than a half human or something to that effect. Regardless, I think the DCEU DOES have to nail down her powers a bit. If they don't, they can't really define the threat that Steppenwolf or Darkseid will bring. We need to know the heroes limitations to understand why the villain may have the upper hand and why we actually need to be "worried" about the fate of the world.

7. therealdeal

But she's not just strong, she's invulnerable. She heals extremely quickly, can't be touched by shrapnel, apparently has energy manipulation powers as well... she can't be human, right?

8. Savory Griddles

No. She isn't. But she still needs to be somewhat "mortal." I mean, Superman (kryptonite aside) still appears stronger and faster and is completely impervious to projectiles. But at the end of the movie, WW all of a sudden seemed like the "god" she was born as. For her origin, what I mean is like the Engineers in Aliens. Humans come from them, humans share a lot of their DNA, but modifications were made to make humans age, not be as strong, etc. Otherwise, like you said, if she's a straight-up god, why is Doomsday a threat? Why would Darkseid be a threat?

I wonder if maybe the reason she was so effective against Ares is because Zeus built her specifically to fight Ares? Against everyone else she is "just" really strong with magical bracers that suck in and deflect shrapnel? I don't know.

9. therealdeal

Now you're thinking. Now you're writing a story.

DC should hire you asap!

10. Savory Griddles

I wish. If they did, I wouldn't tell you guys. I'd just continue to bounce story ideas off you, Barnes, Kingsama, etc. until you guys eventually figured out that you were helping write the DCEU. :D

therealdeal likes this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

That is exactly how I feel after watching WW. It was a really good movie and I really enjoyed it, even with partially heightened expectations due to reviews. Now can Martian Manhunter mind wipe us and make us forget about BvS and SS and continue building the DCEU from Man of Steel and WW. They should have then came out with a Batman movie and there you have the Holy Trinity to then do a Justice League movie and so on.

The beach fight and the trench fight were spectacular. Pacing was great until the end, seemed rushed with Ares kind of thrown in, I don't know how to exactly explain it though.

In regards to what you guys have been discussing:
    When Wonder Woman was created in the comics, she was meant to be on equal footing as Superman, the female counterpart. But then of course Superman is essentially the face of DC so they kept on writing him stronger and toning down WW even though she's a demi-god. The crazy thing about DC is, most or a lot of their heroes are essentially gods with the power their creators gave them. Heck, Martian Manhunter should be as strong as both of them too.

But in regards to the end where she went "Matrix Neo", I'd like to think that that was her finally realizing the power she has and the lost of Steve Trevor unlocking that power.
    Also in regards to her "energy manipulation" powers, its those bracelets. Created from the metal of Zeus' shield, practically indestructible. And when she crosses them, it can absorb and reflect energy.

Also Gal Gadot :Kaream Surprise:
    I was a critic when they chose her for the part. Thought she was too skinny and "model-y" for the part but she nailed it. The humor parts were perfect, how she had to learn everything.

Weezy likes this.
  12. therealdeal

I understand everything in your spoilers but if that's all true then why does Doomsday stand a chance against her AND Superman? Why doesn't she stop WW2? Why does no one mention her as a precedent for Superman in either of his movies? They act like humanity has never seen anything like him before but they have.

13. alam1108

Because BvS was a bad movie? I still don't understand why Doomsday was in that movie. But yeah, he can beat both but not at the same time. Wasn't kryptonite involved during that fight, might have weakened Superman.

It's hard to explain those finer details between movies with all the different people that are working on them. Also the DCEU has been a mess of late but I get you.

14. therealdeal

I actually appreciate that WW didn't hold themselves to some nonsense from BvS. I'm glad they just made a good movie and said "to hell with continuity".

I just wish they'd start over and just build around Gal Gadot.

Weezy likes this.
  15. alam1108

I might be the only one that still watches Gotham after it had two lackluster seasons but season three has been great. They really set themselves up well to become a Batman show starting next season. They spent all season developing Batman's villain and setting up the city of Gotham, it has been great for me, a huge Batman fan.

16. Savory Griddles

I watch it. Not sure why I continued watching it through season one since it was pretty bad, but I'm glad I was stupid enough to do so because I have been awarded with a very good last season and a half. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the kid that is playing Bruce Wayne has a really thin build. He doesn't look like he could ever grow into Batman. He's a solid enough actor, but Batman in this universe will never be the brute he is in the comics and in the DCEU with Affleck.

alam1108 likes this.
  17. alam1108

Yeah he doesn't seem like he could play Batman, does a good job for young Bruce though. My theory is that the show runners weren't planning on going the Batman route this quickly or even at all but decided to do so after the bad reviews from season 1 and the good reviews of this half of the season with the villains and whatnot (remember they took a huge break half way through the season). Gotham was always branded as a James Gordon show, I thought the series finale was going to be Batman year zero. The actor playing Bruce is growing up pretty quickly so who knows if he'll develop the body for Batman but at least they can somewhat hide it when he's in that bedsheets costume.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Random, but I watched Batman V Superman on one of the movie channels yesterday for the 2nd time (theatrical version). I enjoyed it more this time, but that's not saying much. My main thought was that it was a shame/waste, because there's some really good ideas there, some really good imagery, and the bones of a good movie. But man, certain choices they made, turns they take, certain scenes really hurt that movie bad. Some good I take away is Affleck is great as Wayne and Batman, the Batman fight scenes are the best ever put to live action, and Wonder Woman is awesome. I do also like the game that Luther plays throughout the film and his playing Superman and Batman against eachother. It feels very much like The Dark Knight Joker's plotting and scheming of turning everyone on eachother. The Luthor character and how he's acted/portrayed are so bad though. I guess all that said I still do really like Man of Steel, I think Suicide Squad is decent, and now I don't dislike Batman V Superman as much as I did, so I'm interested in justice league a little more, and the Harley Quinn movie for sure.

19. Savory Griddles

Have you watched the extended cut? It makes the Luthor plotting even better and fills in holes that I initially thought were huge logic jumps. But Eisenberg…is literally cringe worthy at times in his portrayal. Part of me hopes that the real Lex Luthor has yet to be introduced (Jesse plays Alexander Luthor Jr.). It does make more sense for an older Lex in this universe. Jesse looks young enough that his dad could be 50. That would do wonders in fixing one of the worst parts of BvS and it would fit nicely within the universes canon.

In the end they stuffed in too much and basically pulled the same crap Amazing Spiderman 2 did in trying to jump to a MCU-level universe on just the second movie.

Weezy likes this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I actually saw the extended cut before the theatrical version. So watching it the second time I kinda forgot what stuff was cut out, but I think the shorter run time actually helped my opinion a little because the extended one felt kinda bloated. Now if I went back and watched the extended cut again I might change my mind on that though.

I agree that changing to the father Luthor would be a great idea if they decided to use that character again, but I dunno, that whole stupid shaved head scene at the end seems to point to this being Lex. Eisenberg is terrible in that scene with Batman in the jail imo, but then I think that's also partly that dialogue. His dialogue is pretty awful throughout, like his lame "you do not want to pick a fight with this person" joke and his entire over the top speech on the roof before the final act about gods and whatever the hell he was spouting.