Official 2016 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Nov 16, 2015.

1. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

Would mind that lineup at all. Just remember to leave a spot for Ben Simmons though ;)

trodgers likes this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Didn't your read? Simmons will serve as ball boy for a year if Byron is coach.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if you want Whiteside? I mean cmon now. Sometimes I feel like fans would see Larry Bird as a free agent and say "yeah but his defense isn't great".

Give me Whiteside, the 27 year old who has 31 more blocks than the next closest person in the league, who is 7th in rebounding, who is 11th in PER (higher than Drummond), 10th in true shooting percentage, 3rd in effective field goal percentage, and nearly doubles the next closest block percentage of Rudy Gobert (more than doubles Hibbert's).

I'll take that kid any day of the week and he might honestly be my first call when FA opens.

sirronstuff, TIME, Lakers2015 and 2 others like this.
  4. lakersyunowin

lakersyunowin - Lakers 6th Man -

Whiteside is a defensive beast and his offensive game is under-emphasized. He is leaps and bounds beyond Hibbert...and I like Hibbert!

trodgers, sirronstuff and TIME like this.
  5. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Yep it boggles my mind why anyone wouldn't want a clearly superior player in Whiteside. He can do all the things Hibbert can't. Finish inside, rebound, the mobility on screen and rolls, his offensive game seems to have improved this and last season.

TIME likes this.
  6. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

LOL. Makes sense. How else would Byron find the 40+ minutes per game he plans on giving to Mike Miller when we sign him to 2 years/7 million this offseason? :D

trodgers and sirronstuff like this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Reasons I'd be hesitant about Whiteside, his attitude and his only playing this well for less than a year. Does he regress when he gets paid/is he another one year contract player? Do those legit questions really boggle the mind? I don't think they should, players' value is more than numbers on paper.

8. therealdeal

This is his second year doing it now and he's better than he was last year. You could ask those same questions of Jordan Clarkson too, but I'd still take him no question for whatever the price tag is this summer.

sirronstuff and Lakers2015 like this.
  9. Weezy

It's only been one year, almost to the day, since he started playing for Miami. That's not enough for me. Where was he before that? I'm not saying I don't want to go after him, only that I'd absolutely have concerns and consider those when going after him. He is better than Hibbert, but is he the team player, locker room presence and leader that Hibbert is? I don't know. And again, he hasn't been doing this long, one year, and when you give a guy a max deal who has been doing this a year you are taking a risk. It has burned many other teams. The Clarkson comparison is fair, but JC wasn't invisible his first 2 seasons, this IS his 2nd season. I just think we serously need to consider fit and other factors with this team, not throw money at whoever is putting up the best numbers only.

10. therealdeal

I don't know man I'm kind of okay throwing money his way... At 27 even if he regresses, he's young enough to move. Just like this summer the Bucks got Monroe who is young enough where they can move him if they have to because he's been a little disappointing thus far.

I just want talent man. I'm sick of watching a talent-less team. I'd rather be the Clippers who have a bunch of talent but are going to fail again this year in the playoffs than be competing with the Sixers for a third straight year. I'm sick of it all. Give me talent and I think we can say pretty definitively now that Whiteside has talent. Not to mention that with under six seasons on his resume his max is only 4/96.26 compared to longer term veterans (say Al Horford) who would be 4/134.77 million dollars.

I know there's some risk there, but just given what I've seen if he regresses a bit we'll end up with Hibbert and I'd be okay with that outcome. You're right personalities matter and it remains to be seen if he would fit with the young guys, but honestly it remains to be seen if Hibbert fits personality wise to the young guys as well. If we get a more talented person who doesn't fit in, I'm down with that. I like Hibbert a lot, but so far I'm not sold he's the guy we should be counting into our future plans at the Center spot.

11. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

It is mind boggling because you can say that about any young player who has a breakout season in his fourth or fifth year. We have to start improving the team. We can't be afraid to give big money to a guy just because we're afraid of him regressing because that can happen to anyone. Whiteside would be a perfect fit with this young core. He can actually catch unlike Hibbert, can run the floor, and one of the more athletic centers in the game. You don't need to run any plays with him. Imagine the breaks between all these young guys. All those breaks the Clippers have had with Griffin and Jordan we could have with Whitside and Randle's athleticism.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Hibbert is who he is at this point. It's about 'fit.' If you're going into the future with Russell and Randle, you need certain things at you 5 position: a finisher, a great screener, a rebounder, and a rim protector. Whiteside fits perfectly...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. Weezy

All I said was I have legit questions and concerns about Whiteside. Like Zen said, I'm not sure, I don't see being unsure about a player as mind boggling, but whatever. That said, a lot about him will probably be answered the rest of this season. I said I'm not saying I don't go after him, because you're right real, we need talent, I have said the same thing all season, but I still keep a close eye on him in all areas, even other than basketball.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

True. I know Whiteside is known to be a meathead. I don't know if he's a knucklehead or not though. Still, that'll be true for anyone we sign. It's up to Mitch to be thorough and conduct a solid background check.

lakersyunowin likes this.
  15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Whiteside vs. Hibbert - if it saves us millions and allows us to spend elsewhere, Hibbert becomes more attractive.

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

65 million in cap space, and we know that 1 offseason isn't going to fix all of our holes, right? Ok, so, the cap is reportedly going to up $90 million next year and $110 the next, and Mitch has put us into a position of great flexibility. I say, knowing those things, I go after Whiteside; better fit, adds more wins, and I'd argue will be a more attractive piece to build around when courting other free agents than Hibbert.

trodgers likes this.
  17. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I had no idea Whiteside worked out for us the summer before he signed with the Heat and we didn't keep him .

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I think we chose to keep Wayne Ellington instead.

19. Weezy

Everyone makes mistakes. But, sometimes getting cut also makes a player push harder and get to that next level. We also gave Gerald Green a shot at one point, but if he was the player he ended up being with Phoenix when he was here we wouldn't have cut him. Took him a long time to become that player. Maybe he didn't have it for all that time yet, or maybe it took all those different stops fo him to finally get it.

I only say this because I think Mitch and whoever is with him are pretty good at judging talent. Clarkson was a fantastic pick, and Nance Jr looks smart this summer too. Also most late draft selections we do cut don't seem to amount to much elsewhere so we usually hang onto the good ones. Every team lets go of good players that benefit other teams, Tarik Black was one of those for us, f****** B0ron just doesn't f****** play him.

20. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I have a bad feeling Jimmy-boy is going to swing for the fences rather than growing this team organically.

Trade Russell and Clarkson for Cousins
    sign Conley and Durant to max deals in FA
    fill out roster with vets who take less money for a championship

Conley/vet pg
    vet sharpshooter/Lou
    Durant/Young/Brown
    Randle/Bass/Nance
    Cousins/Black/Upshaw

Head coach: let's see what he can do with talent, Byron Scott.
    :dwightcrying::Kobepuking:

I'd prefer:
    Russell/Vasquez
    Clarkson/Lou
    Batum/Young/Brown
    Randle/Bass/Nance
    Whiteside/Black/Upshaw

Head coach: Luuuuuke