Nfl Off-season - Free Agency And Draft

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by JSM, Feb 6, 2015.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I like Woodhead. Worthy back-ups are still needed. Although we lost both games to San Diego last season, we were competitive even if we were unsettled and dealt with injuries. Bolts also took Orlando Franklin...good pickup from Denver. I don't mind San Diego. Relatives live in that fair city and are fans. KC and the Broncos are another story.

Headache Harvin a Bill.

2. gcclaker

Saints CB Keenan Lewis on the block... He is the best player on their secondary. What on earth is going on in The Bayou?

3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    There must be something lingering behind the scenes there - they're getting rid of everyone. Gotta be a locker room situation or something.

John3:16 likes this.
  4. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I'm a Chargers fan. I like Woodhead and Oliver, but we desperately need a legitimate starting RB. We made some moves on the O Line which is nice, but without the threat of a running game last year, Rivers was getting eaten up by opposing defenses. We had to let go of Mathews. I was a big fan of his and always hoped he'd succeed in SD, but we simply couldn't rely on him to play due to his injury history. We need to find a replacement though, and it looks like the free agent market is drying up. I'm still desperately hoping we can pull off a trade for AD.

Losing Royal will also hurt us. Floyd is pretty old and has a history of injuries. Allen had a disappointing sophomore season. We've been linked to Stevie Johnson and Michael Crabtree. Both of them were disappointing last year in SF, but I'd definitely take a chance on either of them. I'd probably throw Greg Jennings into that list too.

5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, both aren't starting caliber RB's. Has anyone picked Forsett yet? He had a nice year with the Ravens and I'm surprised no one has gone after him yet. I'd also through Reggie Bush into the conversation, even though it's been long since he's had a good string of games.

As for WR's, it seems slim pickin's from a Free Agency point of view, probably where the Charger's might focus on in the draft. I think Allen just had a rough sophmore year after his breakout year, defenses put their best guys on him and guys like Royal and Floyd made a living off it. I think he'll be better next year with the better pass protection and time that Rivers should have.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Forsett went back to the Ravens on a 3 year deal.

7. lakerfan2

Looks like Stevie Johnson it is.

8. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Looks like no one wants Crabtree. Dude has amazing hands, but lacks a 2nd gear and his attitude sucks.

Did Sherman expose him or is the market just playing out?

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Tomorrow's the big day.

Praying the Falcons don't enter the draft with the same one they entered FA with.

Going to be an interesting evening with all the trade rumors at the top. That and to see if Gurley really does crack the top 10 as some mocks are now predicting.

Also, how big of a dummy is Shane Ray! Went from a guaranteed top 10 pick to possibly slipping into the second round. Great timing on getting busted by the cops.

10. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Would it be awful to do Gameday for the NFL Draft?

JSM and TIME like this.
  11. lakerfan2

As a Chargers fan, I wonder what will make of this whole Mariota interest. Are they willing to part with Rivers? Is Rivers + #17 too much? Do the Titans want Rivers on a rental?

It doesn't make sense for either side, but I've seen stranger things.

12. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'm down.

trodgers likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'll just be glad that all the rumors will come to and end tonight. It's giving me a headache. 20 teams, 10 NBA teams, and 5 MLS teams are trying to trade up in this draft.

As far as the Falcons, I'm setting myself up for disappointment. All the current indicators are pointing to Bud Dupree who I have no interest in. I wanted Fowler and there's rumors we're trying to move up for him, but at the same time we can't afford to mortgage picks when we have so many needs. Then I wanted Gregory, but most GMs don't think he has what it takes mentally to hack it in the NFL. I read a lot of teams took him off their board completely. Considering he's top 5 talent, he must have really blown the meetings/interviews. Then Ray was my third option, but he's dropped to the end 1st/early 2nd with his drug possession. So if we can't land Fowler without giving up the farm, I'd rather trade down and get Gurley/Gordon and Shane Ray. Options at 8 are just not looking attractive.

14. gcclaker

^Beasley for your Falcons...

15. lakerfan2

Love the Melvin Gordon pickup for the Bolts.

He's exactly what the team needed with Mathews gone.

He looks like a beast and will contribute immediately.

16. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    49ers offseason from hell continues. First 3 picks were head scratchers. We keep drafting backups instead of needs.

Frustrating.

17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Raiders dealin'.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Very pleased with the Falcons draft, best one we've had in several years. You can tell a big difference when Domitroff isn't the one making the selections. I'd give them an A.
    Beasley - wasn't my top choice, but better than the pass rushing alternatives left that they'd take. Has the tools and fits our biggest need. Interviews well and seems like a smart kid.

Jalen Collins - finally a big CB. As a Falcons fan I've been so sick of our historical fascination with small corners, especially considering the increasing size of the ball catchers in our division. He's big and physical. Only concern is his footwork, hopefully they can do some coaching up in that regard. If not, they'll move him over to safety. Had first round value.

Tevin Coleman - looks like a great runner on tape. He's not Gurley or Gordon, but is talented enough to be the week one starter. Put up some very impressive numbers at Indy. Solid value.

Justin Hardy - found a replacement for Harry Douglas. Good slot prospect from a small school. Most impressive stat I heard - 70% of his catches were for 1st downs.

Grady Jarrett - tremendous value. Most the experts graded him as a 2nd rounder. No clue how he dropped down to the 5th. Got a good, quick first move and gets up the field in a hurry.

Jake Rodgers - only addition to the O Line. Raw RT with tremendous size. Good depth.

Akeem King - CB/S prospect with good size. This late in the draft he'll probably make his living with the special team.

3 of the first 5 picks were all supposed to go at least a round earlier. Great value across the board and they filled big needs in the process.

I would've liked for them to have added at least one significant addition to the O Line. They tried moving up a couple times during day 2 to address the need without luck. That's my only knock to their entire draft.

TIME and trodgers like this.
  19. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I know a bunch of dudes who went in this draft, having worked with them during FSU's Freshman Bridge program.

Cam Erving, Eddie Goldman, Rashad Greene, Bobby Hart, Josue Matias, Nick O'Leary, and Karlos Williams

Also possible FAs: Austin Barron

That's cool.

John3:16 likes this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Damn. Tough break for Fowler and the Jags. Out his rookie season with a torn ACL.