Mosgov And Deng Situation

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Khmrp, Feb 27, 2017.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Why does rage need to be white?

:Crazyartest:

Asking for a friend.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Sigh.....always trying to start something. White "hot". Even Julius understands this. Right big guy? Well s*** maybe not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mentioned in the Unsubstantiated Trade Rumors thread that packaging Deng with Randle and Clarkson for some expiring contracts is probably the only way we get out from these. But the only way you do that is if you have a reason to. If TWO stars say they want to come here and to make room, then you entertain the idea of moving valuable assets in order to get rid of Deng or Mozgov. But it needs to be Randle you move (granted he doesn't erupt over the last 20 games) since next season is his last season before we have to make a decision on his future. I'm not saying you move Russell or Ingram or our top 3 pick (if we keep it this year). Randle is one year away from becoming expensive. I don't think he's shown enough to sign him to a big deal.

4. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm not implying that the 1st rounder is the deal breaker, but if a team has a player on the go, and needs a serviceable player, the draft pick sweetens the deal.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd say Noah, Parsons, Mahinmi, the weird Crabbe/Turner combo, and to a somewhat lesser extent Miles Plumlee are all up there too. If I had to rank them:

1. Noah
    2. Deng
    3. Parsons
    4. Mahinmi
    5. Mozgov
    6. Crabbe/Turner
    7. Plumlee

I might have missed a couple. Al Jefferson was bad retrospectively. Evan Fournier was paid way, way too much. Jeremy Lin has barely played this year. Solomon Hill got too many years. Dellavadova, E'Twaun Moore, and definitely Kent Bazemore all got overpaid. Marvin Williams was too much. Oh and of course Baby Rivers got way overpaid because Daddy was the GM.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  6. DOAKLEY8

DOAKLEY8 - Rookie -

I still think Parson's 4 year 94 mil is the worst. He's better off being a 7th man, backup playing about 16-17 minutes a game

John3:16 and TIME like this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It could very well be. Parsons has played almost half the year and sits regularly. He's played a maximum of 25 minutes this year and hasn't played more than 6 games in a row.

The Showtime Mamba and TIME like this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Agree with the posts above. As bad as Deng & Moz are, they at least are available to play whenever the coach calls on them, and they both give consistently mediocre performances. Painful to say, but that is worth more than some of the really bad contracts given out in the league this season.

I would really like to dump one of the two though; preferably Deng. I would not mind saving Moz for a possible trade filler down the line. If some star becomes available we may need a big contract to make the money work if we package a couple of our young guys who are still on rookie deals.

9. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I never found Parsons to be that great of a player in Houston but he was a fairly solid starter good for 15-16ppg 5rpg 3apg 1spg 37-38% on threes. It's amazing how badly his health has seriously derailed his career as of late. He's utter garbage this season.

That said, if he can get back to being healthy next season (and stay that way), he is more likely to come close to earning the next 3 years of his contract than most others who got questionable long term deals last summer.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Count me as one of those who wanted parsons but even at his current state and pay, i still think there's a better chance he plays up to his old self and at least live up a bit to his contract than deng playing up to his mia days

11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Not to keep throwing flames on Mitch and Jim but I just now started thinking amnesty and remembered that they also wasted our only amnesty on Metta's 2 year 7 mil remaining contract (14mil total). There is no amnesty in this new cba. And they used it early in the CBA which is not when you use your amnesty unless you are 100% sure you know you won't have a bigger lame contract later on. Any single year of the 4 years total we have either of Moz/Deng would be more than the total amount we amnestied Metta for. We're not on the new cba yet. We could have got rid of Deng this summer and saved 53 mil off the cap for the next 3 years. When we start hitting the tax, that's gonna be really relevant.

If we had that amnesty now, we could kill Deng's contract and somehow find something to do with Moz. Things would look better. Either stretch or in a few years use him as the money piece in a youth-for-star trade. Won't happen for a couple years though when his contract is a little more bearable to teams. No one is taking him right now unless he was just absolutely ballin' for us.

We have to face the fact that Mitch and Jim did us a liquid and we are dealing with these guys for at least a few years if not the full length of their contracts. We could start on a stretch now and get that ball rolling.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

make them work the concession stands in the 300 sections...they need a lot of help up there..it takes them forever to get me a tray of nachos, popcorn and beer

13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I may be wrong but I think the amnesty didn't work on players sign on the new (current) CBA.

TIME and Battle Tested20 like this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah I'm confident you have it right. We could not have used the Metta amnesty on either Deng or Moz, so there is no point in bashing Mitch and Jim for that.

alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  15. Alcindor

The new CBA is not in effect yet. They just now reached an agreement on what it will be. This most recent agreement will start with the 2017–18 season.

The massive increases in the cap due to the new NBA tv deals are what injected so much money and caused the spending sprees. We could have the amnesty to use still if we had not used it already.

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about the one that starts in 2017-18, I'm talking about the CBA we are currently in. The one they agreed upon in 2011. The amnesty provision only worked on old contracts, not new ones signed under the 2011 CBA.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q69

Alcindor likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

pretty sure amnesty only exists for contracts signed before the provision is introduced. deng and moz could only be amnestied if there was a new cba during the life of their contracts that included such a clause. thus, not happening. was never happening.

anyway, there's nothing to be done. no way i'm attaching an asset to shed salary, especially given how s***tily the lakers have fared in FA when they DID have cash to spend. best to hope to use them as back end rotation players (maybe even that's asking too much) and then be prepared to use them as trade ballast in their final year.

it hurts, but this one's over. don't throw good money after bad.

18. Alcindor

Yeah ok thanks, that's the bit that I had forgotten. Old contracts only. It's been so long since we had one to use I couldn't remember that detail. Anyways, no matter now, we are stuck with these contracts and have to figure out some other way. Just really disappointed in Mitch for having offered them in the first place. hate to remember him by his last move, rather think about something like Pau but even that could be said to be luck and his connection with Jerry West. I mean he had just traded Caron Butler for Kwame freakin' Brown and we were lucky Memphis wanted that expiring, ok ok, I know, let it go ....

therealdeal and alam1108 like this.
  19. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Now that is just unacceptable... :No2:

20. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

you dont know how frustrating it is to be waiting for beer while i miss our team go from 10 down to 25 down...