Magic Johnson Returns To Lakers As Advisor

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I doubt he will have final say, but I would think he'll have a good bit of input.

gcclaker and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe Johnson would be the last word in free agent signees or draft choices. He'll likely be more of a pitchman for the former and an influencer/mentor for the latter. I see him working with Kupchak in lending his thoughts on a particular prospect's skills but not necessarily the one doing the selection. All moot of course if Kupchak is let go and Johnson ascends to the role. I don't see that with the storyline, Johnson is an "advisor" much like West is with Golden State... If anything, Ryan West was supposedly being groomed as Kupchak's eventual successor.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Jimmy can't be feeling warm and fuzzy about this. Handwriting is on the wall considering his and Magic's past relationship. Him jealous of pops' treatment of Magic better maybe than he got and then all these recent statements and tweets from Magic attacking Jim. [​IMG]

I agree. Really want to keep Mitch for now until Ryan is ready and definitely not lose Ryan.

He's baaaaccckkkk!

[​IMG]

4. gcclaker

^Jim Buss though he's kept quiet never really distinguished himself... Jesse Buss, Ryan West and our international scout from what I have seen have had more impact.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Intriguing move, I'm nervous and curious about it. Hoping his role is with business and free agent pitches and just a small part in helping the GM.

Looks like Jim might be let go, have to wonder if Mitch will be too.

gcclaker, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

Sure there are things to be skeptical about with this but I loved what I was reading in there. Kobe's not around these guys at all it seems and now Magic will be often. Both 5 time champions, HOF, perennial all stars, consummate, obsessed competitors. 1A and 1B as greatest Lakers of all time. I have Kobe for his overall mastery of skills, playing through more injuries than humanly possible, longevity and just more thrills and chills over his career than even the great Magic Johnson.

Glass half full guy here. We have a HOF, 5 time multiple NBA championship player back in the organization to help form these guys' still mush mindsets (except Ingram, Nance and maybe a couple others) for greatness if that's what they are truly after.

Props Jeanie. Maybe she can win me back. This is huge.

I also really loved that he gave Nick so much love. Nick was beside himself that Magic said the things he said about him. Great stuff! That is warm and fuzzy.

:Headbang:

7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Torn. Second favorite Laker of all time. Have sort of despised his attachment to LA for the past decade.

Kenzo, Cookie, tada and 6 others like this.
  8. gcclaker

We were/are all aware of Johnson's flip-flopping of opinions the last decade... It could stop now that he is to be involved somewhat.

trodgers likes this.
  9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

not sure how i feel about this. magic has been pretty annoying the past few years. not to mention he supported hiring byron

but at least this could mean jim is finally shown the door

10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

God help us all.

1. Magic the non-player/non-businessman is a freaking dimwit
    2. This only solidifies the revolution is about to begin. I am very very iffy on the leader (Jeannie) of that revolution, especially combined with 1. above
    3. Stability, which is an extremely important part of young people upbringing, is going to suffer
    4. With all due respect to Magic being potential FA magnet, I doubt this generation of players cares too much about the legacy and such (consider Greak Freak having no idea who Kidd was and you'll get my drift)
    5. Whoever the new boss will be -- he will bring in new people, which will likely mean we lose Ryan west

I am not happy at all.

Jeannie will be the doom of this franchise.

trodgers and Weezy like this.
  11. BDG

BDG - Rookie -

The Lakers have lacked a big personality in the front office that can attract free agents for years now.

Just look at how Jerry West was able to convince Durant to join the Warriors. Many reports said that after their meeting, the tide swung in GSW's favor for signing him.

Jim doesn't have his dad's charm/personality so whether or not he's still around it'll be good to have a guy like Magic who can be a presence in these meetings.

Yes Magic can be annoying on Twitter/media/etc at times, but I think the guy just vents out of frustration as a fan.

At the very least it's a sign that we're not complacent right now and open to shaking things up if it means we get back to our franchise's winning ways.

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. This is how I see him moving forward. He was complimentary of our pieces and players and I think he and Mitch have a good relationship. I think it's possible Magic is here to replace Jim Buss.

I also think it's possible Magic is here to help find a different replacement for Jim Buss. To be 100% honest half the reason I've never fully jumped on board the "fire Jim" train is because I don't know who exactly would replace him. Bring back Old Man West? Does he want that job? I don't know. I don't know of any candidates that come to mind and maybe Magic does.

13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

good point, i agree that magic's presence could help lure FA's here

having jim attend those FA meetings was a complete disaster and i feel he's part of the reason why this team hasn't been able to attract big name FA's for a while now. there was a reason why i always hoped they'd lock jim in a dark room far away from the FA meetings when they were taking place

lakerjones and John3:16 like this.
  14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Not a Magic fan (since he retired). This will either go "so so" or very bad...

ZenMaster and Weezy like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

That was my great fear with her if she fired Jim while still being engaged to Phil. Phil of course you'd think which no one wanted in that capacity, and I was afraid we would lose the 2nd West with the way Phil had treated Pops. But then who was "she" going to choose to replace Jim if not Phil. How was that vetting process going to happen?

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  16. gcclaker

As already noted, Kupchak AND Jim Buss don't have the personality or pull if you like to hold the attention of free agents. Kupchak is dry. Buss isn't respected enough because of his father's shadow. Same goes with his sister. Not to mention, Kupchak had Jerry West at his side to close the deals for him. They already have Walton at the helm who has the good reputation to start.

ElginTheGreat and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

walton and magic are two great presences to have at these meetings

i agree mitch doesn't have the most enticing persona but i feel the presence of those two will make up for that

18. gcclaker

Jeannie fires Jim...brings Jackson to replace Kupchak...Johnson advises? Jackson is arrogant with all the success and will not respect Johnson's input. Strife and dysfunction... Not happening at least for the time being Jackson tied up in Gotham.

Likely case scenario: Jeannie fires Jim...Kupchak stays on as GM grooming Ryan West...Johnson advises without the outside media garbage...Jesse Buss scouts...Walton coaches. We go from there.

alam1108 likes this.
  19. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

We've struck out on every big name free agent we've gone after for several years in a row. That part can't get worse.

alam1108, lakerjones and Barnstable like this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Jim might as well start packing up his stuff from the office