Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

[​IMG]

Yeah can you put up a big dome and heaters all throughout the city?

True story, my wife's childhood friend and neighbor (they grew up in the Toronto area) moved to California where he found a job as a pastor of a big church. I had recommended they move to the Santa Barbara area and after looking for a few years he found a great job in the area and they moved. I went to see him after he got there and he was in love with the weather and area. He seemed relaxed and peaceful. I went and saw him after he'd been there over a year. He was tan, wearing cool shades and driving a convertible. Not at all like the dude I saw up in Canada who took me to a few Hockey games and tried to show me how cool Toronto was. I asked him when he'd be going back to Canada to visit (he has kids there) and he said. "Why in the world would I go back there?" "My kids can come here and see me, I'm not going anywhere." He's never stopped thanking me for referring him to live where he does.

It just goes to show that you can even grow up in Toronto but the comparison to California doesn't get very close for a lot of people.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

He will still remain Kawhiet for now...

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Just taking a wild guess here. When he signs here next year the Kawhiet one WILL show up at the introductory news conference. And he will smile. Probably just a quick smile though. We should set an Over / Under on how many words he will speak that day.

:Blink:

4. vasashi17

Quick notes:

Masai hasn't met with Kawhi and his reps in person yet...just talked/messaged by phone.

Kawhi is not in Canada and as a result, has not taken his physical yet. Masai stated that he will take the physical in the next few days...but no given time yet. (FYI: with the consent of the team, a player can conduct their physical outside of the 48 window after the trade call to league offices..that's obviously what has happened here).

Don't know how hot it is in Toronto right now and I tend to uncontrollably perspire myself, but Masai is literally sweatin it up there haha

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

6. therealdeal

Masai says he spoke to Kawhi's people and didn't get any sense they had resistance to staying.
    Masai also admits that convincing Kawhi to stay is a challenge. Hopes that they'll see what Toronto has to offer and decide to stay.
    Masai says that without the medical questions, Toronto would have zero chance at a player of Kawhi's caliber. In other words it's worth the risk.
    He said they saw some medical stuff and are awaiting the physical.
    Masai has no idea what happened with Summer League. :D But says he's happy with the players and their ability.
    Has not talked to Kyle Lowry at all as of yet. Hasn't talked to him since Summer League. Knows this will be hard for him. Hopes to talk to him soon.
    Says the next step will be meeting face to face with Kawhi and developing a relationship "whether that's for long-term or for the future".
    Masai told DeMar and his reps that there was no deal in place for him, talks moved quickly and things changed.
    On fan response: they don't have the info we have. He doesn't make moves based on fan opinions. Narratives change all the time, this was worth the risk.
    On what kind of person Kawhi is in Masai's opinion: a basketball player, a guy that produces, a gamer. Hasn't spoken to him, but his opinion from afar.

The conference did absolutely nothing to inspire confidence in Kawhi staying long-term. Kawhi was not there, hasn't spoken to Masai directly, and has made no statement about the franchise.

Also concerning: Toronto sort of leaned into the "if things check out on his physical" angle because Kawhi hasn't taken the physical yet. There's a chance he fails this physical and that could be disastrous for everyone. There's no way DeMar plays for the Raptors after this. Do the Spurs re-work the trade? Do the Raptors then do what we had to do with Lamar Odom and just send DeMar somewhere else in a rush move?

7. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

tor has way to much on their plate to make this work imo....new coach/system, besides lowry its just a bunch of above avg role players. Og is nice but hype is to much from tor fans, theyre talking bout him having leonard potential as well lol. if tor is bottom half of playoff team by trade deadline, i can see masai trading leonard and or he possibly gets fired

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Let me try to interpret all of Masai's statements today. He flat out told DD that he was their future. Then, the chance to get Kawhi happened and in his excitement he made the move without considering how cutthroat it would make him and the Raptors look so now he wants everyone to cut him some slack.

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if trade fails we should offer deng n picks for leonard n waive the physical lol

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not many I am sure. See OX's press conferences. "Yes". "No". Will be similar. BUT ....

Where's @sirronstuff? What country and time zone today? :giggle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

How good are the Raptors? With a healthy Kawhi? I don't see a lot of talent on that roster.

12. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

1st in east last yr but dont know much bout their new coach/system...think they over achieved again last yr...their bench was #1 last yr though that should continue

Lakeshow85 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  13. therealdeal

They're pretty good. Similar problem to us: a lot of good guards/wings and not much going on with bigs. OG Anunoby is a good young player. Him, Green, Leonard, and Lowry make up a really good back court along with VanVleet in a limited role. Siakam is a solid prospect as well.

Lakeshow85, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Ok. Thanks.

Lakeshow85 and therealdeal like this.
  15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    How could Kawhi want to leave the Raptors after all that.... :giggle::D

16. vasashi17

Nailed it!

I'm still looking at that heavily protected pick that they traded to SA. If they weren't worried about Kawhi getting on the floor for the majority of next year (injury, rerouting him or otherwise), then why heavily protect the pick. I still anticipate Kawhi heading to LA before next summer hits...I just hope its not to the cLips.

Also, Masai's explanation to how he handled DeMar...uh, try again...

Kawhi, do you really want to re-up with this man and that Toronto organization? Do you really think other free agents will be convinced in being recruited there to team up with you, knowing how they did DeMar?

Let's try bringing you home....just hang tight, till Mag/Rob swoop ya up.

#FutureSmashBro

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i hope leonard doesnt get salty towards us for not trading for him like the palmdale puss

Lakeshow85 and sirronstuff like this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    We offered something, Spurs wanted the whole cupboard

19. vasashi17

That doesn't sound like a team that wants to compete with Kawhi on the roster...does it?

Anyways, right now they have 13 on the roster and are about 15m over the salary cap.

I wouldnt mind taking back Valanciunas in a Kawhi deal cause dude has a player option next summer and theres alot more money to be had next summer, so he probably opts out. But then sending them back Deng doesn't make much sense and Kawhi/Val make 40m together so we would need Deng and KCP (no-trade clause) to make it work. My cap heads...want to work out deals to bring back Kawhi while shedding Toronto salary for their rebuild?

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

The Raptors have started rebuilding. This is just a move that allows them to save face so it doesn't look like they are tearing down the #1 seed in the East.