Kawhi Leonard Discussion: “I’m A Snake Clipper Guy.”

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Helljumper, Jun 15, 2018.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It probably doesn't matter because he and the Lakers know they're not likely to trade for him.

Jeff Ayers talk.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  2. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

3. jordan-esque

jordan-esque - Rookie -

Was this posted? Y-ouch!

4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

5. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

He'll lose a little less than 1 million vs. Texas. Talking state here, not federal which he still pays only to the US. Not "millions" but still significant and he may view that as a big negative considering he expressed his desires as to destinations. Also the difference in tax between Ontario Canada and California on a 20 mil contract is only around 200k more in Canada. Since the exchange rate is favorable, if you purchase things and services (rent etc), it's not that big a difference between California at all. I don't think that is going to be thought of now or cared about, the 1 million tax hike from Texas will be pointed out to him I'm sure though and resented. The man needs a passport to get home now. We know he won't mind paying the higher tax in LA if he got the LA lifestyle and going home for him.

And speaking of lifestyle, these players coming out in Youtube vids like Jalen Rose and saying Toronto is a great city, well it is a cool city. But don't compare it to LA. Weather aside, there is far less to do (a big reason for that being..the weather). But let's not put the weather aside because it's very much a factor on all things there and the bad stuff is there exactly during the NBA season. It's grey, cold, snowy, icy roads (driving is f*****) and there is far less to do. Period. Toronto in January is a 1.5 vs LA which is a 9-10. No comparison. There's a reason you don't see Drake's a** there in the heart of winter. Guess where he is? Oh yeah, LA at his home here.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Kawhi is ours. No doubt in my mind.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Did OX hacked your account? :giggle:

8. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Riiiiight.

9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

This was a calculated risk by the front office, but one I think will pay dividends down the road. I've been saying all along that Kawhi, Lebron and maybe Ball isn't enough to beat the Warriors. But Kawhi, Lebron, Ingram and Ball might be, especially when you consider Ingram will be entering year 4. It also keeps our future intact. As Lebron fades/retires, Kuzma steps into his starting role alongside Ingram and Kawhi.

10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Hmmm, one word post... sounds like OX.

tada, alam1108, Barnstable and 5 others like this.
  11. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Probably went something like this....

"Kawhi, just have your people chill out for a minute. The Lakers rookies that just signed can't be traded yet...so sit tight for a bit and we'll get you to LA. Till then, you got any questions or concerns for us? Hey Kawhi, you awake bud?"

My bad...I didn't intend to put words in your mouth bro.

12. jordan-esque

jordan-esque - Rookie -

Kawhi already planning out his exit from Toronto and in contact with other players to team up in L.A. or Brooklyn:

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-ru...eaming-up-lakers-2019-free-agency/2018/07/19/

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Logo or not, that franchise even with three max slots isn't attracting stars. Not after the way they wined and dined Blake Griffin only to dump him in Detroit.

15. therealdeal

16. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I personally think LA moves on him this year.

Think of it this way...why would Toronto heavily protect that 2019 1st rounder going to SA if they sincerely thought Kawhi would be there all year to get them deep into the playoffs? It's almost like they're anticipating Kawhi will be dealt later this year for rebuilding pieces. We just have to make sure our bid beats the cLips. And let's not kid ourselves...out of the 2019 free agent class, Kawhi is THE free agent, meaning if we lock him up, we won both 2018 (LABron) and 2019 (Kawhi) free agency. I used to be high on KD, but dude is soft as they come and busy sucking off Lacob while defending his fragile ego against college kids on Twitter, rather than getting better. I don't want his soft a** around Bron and our kids.

Also for those worried about Kawhi's health, Woj mentioned that he's got word he's healthy. We'll have to see it for ourselves, but I'm confident him holding out in SA was strategic and not due to health issues.

17. therealdeal

Soft or not, Durant is the best FA available in 2019. Kawhi, if he's healthy, is probably 2nd though and would indeed constitute a "win" for us. I think the Lakers will happily go all the way to February experimenting with these youngsters. If by February it's clear there's some who fit and some who don't, they'll try to flip the ones who don't at the deadline I think with some expirings and picks and go get Kawhi then.

But if things are going really well and we're doing better than expected, I don't think we're going to move anyone. It should be a fun ride.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

players can ignore stuff like that when they can play together

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Boom! I agree realdeal. That's the nice thing about this trade to Toronto: number one it buys us time to see if Kawhi is fully healthy and number two we get to see how our kids are developing with Lebron. We can revisit the trade idea at the deadline with the Raptors who know they are going to lose him instead of dealing with the Spurs' stubbornness, high demands and unwillingness to trade within conference.

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Yes.