Julius Randle Discussion: MIP

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Another "not show up to play" / "not even engaged" hyperbole toss .... vs ..... he had a bad 4th quarter?

:Kareemlook:

tada and lakerjones like this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

And really more like a bad couple of minutes at the top of the fourth quarter. Otherwise he was fine. Certainly a better option out there than Lopez. Are you forgetting that the starters were only up by 2 or 4 in the first quarter when Randle subbed in? What happened after that? Oh the bench including Randle got us a 10 point lead. What happened when Randle went to the bench and the starters came back? They lost that 10 point lead and went down 1.

tada likes this.
  3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    It was NY. He partied with women and drank, and he's married.

:ShaqOh2:

Momma bustin' him when he gets home for sure.

4. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

THIS. No idea how anyone can put this game on JR. Find a new punching bag people because you're grasping at straws.

lakerjones and ZenMaster like this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think anyone is blaming him for the loss. If they're blaming anyone it goes: 1) Luke 2) Ingram and 3) Lopez.

But I don't see why we can't acknowledge that Julius was really bad down the stretch in that game. He was beaten repeatedly by freaking Michael Beasley. Hopefully he comes harder in this game against the Kang.

6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

And you're seeing what you want to see which is revealing of what you think about Randle.

Kuzma has been just as consistent in effort and production as well.

One game he's going toe to toe with Embiid, the next he's getting outworked by Michael Beasley. That's consistent to you? All I'm asking of Julius, and it's all I've ever harped him for since is to play with that fire every game. Yet, you say it's impossible to play like that for 20 minutes a game, then it must be something else then, isn't it?

therealdeal likes this.
  7. wallangong

he struggled but I'm more pointing to the idea that he didn't bring it or show energy. From where I was sitting he was still one of our best players most of the game so it just bugs me a bit. I'm not contesting some of the criticism, but it does seem to be the usual suspects that jump all over him as soon as he slips.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  8. therealdeal

I hear you. I actually thought all their energy was low. Ingram made uncharacteristic mistakes. Nance's defense was horrible. The only one who showed energy above the norm was Lonzo. What bothered me about Julius more even than the defense, was him getting beat to rebounds. That absolutely cannot happen for him. Him getting beat defensively down the stretch was frustrating, but him missing loose rebounds to stiffs like Beasley and O'Quinn... That's not going to cut it. Overall though I don't think he was the problem. I think Ingram is far more to blame for the loss two nights ago.

LTLakerFan and wallangong like this.
  9. wallangong

i know exactly what you mean with the rebounding. I did notice sometimes it was him against 2 or even 3 Knicks. He would look like he's about to grab it, and then someone else would come disrupt him. Normally I expect him to get those, so that was a bit disappointing. Ingram's performance definitely was more to blame and I had thought about mentioning, but I didn't want to bring BI down just to defend my guy Jules. Either way, it was a disappointing loss but I expect the kids to bounce back. Unfortunately, they're bouncing back against the Cavs.

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. lakerfan2

The criticism comes from wanting consistency out of player that you know that has so much potential. I did the same thing with LO until it finally clicked for him during the 08-10 run.

When I look at Randle, I see so much more for him, but it's so frustrating because he has so much to learn from a basketball perspective. The offensive fouls, the boxing out, the help defense. He still hasn't quite grasped it and he's in his 3rd year playing, 4th year in the NBA. It's the intangible part of basketball that's missing for him.

Some of you see a high energy guy putting up points and fighting every game, I see a player who still has so much more to learn from an IQ standpoint on the court.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Yeah you know I love Julius. I have faith he'll bounce back. I really wish I saw a scenario in which we keep him, but with Deng on the books I'm just not sure it's going to happen.

The good news is tomorrow starts the days when we can really dig into whether or not the Lakers will be able to move Deng.

12. wallangong

I’m with you. I’d like to find a way to add PG and someone else in the off-season without trading Randle and I believe it’s possible. However, I’m not entirely against trading him in the right deal to acquire PG and/or dump Deng.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. wallangong

I like to reference LO as an example as well. He used to get hosed on CL all the time until he found his niche. There are so many similarities in the arcs of Randle and LO and that’s exactly why I get frustrated. LO was my fav player since his Miami days so I remember having similar debates to this on CL. I preached patience then and I’m sticking to my script. :Headbang:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Hey Randle is probs a legit key player tonight. Lonzo and Randle need to have solid-good games. KCP is probs the wild card... If he can get 20 we got a chance to win.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. lakerfan2

KCP is out tonight. I want to see Randle challenge Lebron defensively straight up.

16. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    No KCP and Calderon needing to get 17 for them to win. Eh... Lebron is on our squad and its a blow out fa sho.

Glad KCP didnt play now ;)

17. wallangong

Randle had some really good defensive possessions on Lebron in the 4th. I would have liked to see that matchup more often.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Wonder if Lebron is thinking i need Randle to handle Draymond cause thats what im thinking about non stop now haha. Just dunno if possible.

19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Nope, Kuz has a long way to go defensively.

And you keep referring to a few minutes in the 4th quarter. I could pinpoint a lack of effort or inconsistency from any of our players for entire games. Especially Ingram, Ball and Kuz with their recent disappearing acts. And they have a ton more potential than Randle so what exactly is your gripe with him?

From a game to game basis, Jules has been most reliable, especially on defense. Feel free to bring up another player if you want to argue otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  20. lakerfan2

I keep referring to a few minutes in the 4th quarter? I mentioned it once, but okay, keep putting words in my mouth.

I don’t need much to compare 1st and 2nd year players who already do the intangibles vs a 4th year player who still makes the same mistakes game to game as I did mention.

But go ahead and chastise my opinion with childish name calling because I view Randle differently than you. Just shows the type of poster you are, and how much value I need to take from your posts. None.

therealdeal likes this.