Jim Buss Interview 5/4/2016 ( Pincus Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, May 4, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/lakers-jim-buss-on-free-agency-luke-walton-and-more/

I won't post the whole article out of respect to Pincus, but here's the first bit:

2. therealdeal

The biggest highlight maybe is that Jim thinks we've got FIVE core pieces to build around: D'Angelo, Julius, Jordan, Larry.... and Lou.

He also like Marcelo ("in the right system"), Brandon Bass, and Tarik Black.

Jim also indicated that we have the "perfect" amount of young guys and will look to sign veterans. What that means for the pick should we get it... I don't know.

Lastly, he compared Boston's situation to ours and indicated that Luke could be our "Brad Stevens" type and grow with the kids. Exactly what we'd all hoped for.

I encourage you to click! He also briefly touched on Kobe and that big contract from a couple years ago.

ElginTheGreat, Toklat, revgen and 2 others like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm not opposed to keeping Lou at the price we have him at, as long as he moves back into his 6th man role, way fewer minutes, not playing with the starters. He's a valuable player if used right, he's Nick Young that can actually make shots, get to the line, and without the off court nonsense. The other 4 I'd absolutely agree are a core, Nance was a great pick. I'd hope we try to keep Black as well. I'd love to keep Bass too, but I think he'll get paid elsewhere.

4. therealdeal

He seemed warm to Marcelo and Brandon, but he definitely didn't view them as part of the core group moving forward. I thought it was interesting that he didn't mention either Black or Anthony Brown as the "core".

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Good read. Waits for Buss detractors with the passing on Snyder and Clifford and whoever else during Boron's two stink years. (Great picks out of them very fortunately thanks to the tankmaster however) But waiting for Walton or at least pulling the trigger now when it has become apparent about his potential ..... is ultimately a much better move they have made.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That's good actually, maybe Brown can still be cut or bought out. The interview itself I thought was pretty good, if brief. Jim never comes across to me as the idiot people seem to paint him as, I dunno. He said they were fair with B0ron and I think they were more than fair, and he's right we could have started the rebuild sooner, but now at the end being able to look back, Kobe deserved to go out like he did. Sucking also got us Randle, Russ, and possibly a top pick again, so it's not all bad.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    He actually sounded like he knew what was going on, had his head on straight and had a plan. Good for him. Now only if that sister of his could do the same or at the very least keep her thoughts to herself.

8. LTLakerFan

Thoughts to herself? Chauvinist. What do you have against babies and puppies in Lakers gear? Typical male. :Shaqwink:

revgen, TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  9. therealdeal

@Weezy and @Doc Brown I'm 100% agreed that Jim came across great. You can certainly sense a level of excitement with him even through the text. It certainly seems like the Lakers have a great idea of what they're going to do this summer. They seem happy and relieved to be past the "Kobe Farewell Tour" Era and now we're going to start seeing their true vision of the future. The confidence Jim, Mitch, and Luke are speaking with right now tell me they've got a great plan in place.

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

wouldn't mind seeing lou back as a 6th man off the bench

bass is as good as gone though. sucks because i really like the energy he brings off the bench

really hope we keep black and huertas

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Nice interview. I'm not as high on Lou as Jim is, but I appreciate his candor.

They will probably shop the pick around, but I don't think they'll get rid of it unless they get a star in return.

12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I hate Lou (as a basketball player, not real hate). One of the reasons I want to trade the pick is Lou can hopefully be sent out with it. How is Lou a core piece? Toronto let him walk for essentially scraps (considering the new CBA). They were on the cusp of being a top team in the East (which they ended up being anyway).

revgen likes this.
  13. therealdeal

It's funny because I think Toronto could really use him right now.

Toronto had a choice of either Lou or Ross and they chose poorly.

ElginTheGreat and tada like this.
  14. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

I love what Buss said besides Lou Williams being a core player going forward. I think that Buss could have also been pumping up our "core" players trade values by saying they are our "core" players going forward. Either way, loved what he said in the interview. Also, according to Pincus, he said that Buss also said he likes Tarik Black a lot and thinks he can be a rotation player. I saw it on Pincus's twitter. So don't worry, he LIKES Tarik Black.

I think biggest thing was him saying that he thinks we already have enough young players going forward...which means we are definitely trading the pick. That's encouraging because we know we'll only trade it if it nets us an all star like Butler, Cousins or Paul George.

Even though I hated the Kobe deal...it looks like we were right. They did it because they want to show that the Lakers org takes care of their own...and hopefully this will blow over well with other FA's that are thinking about coming here.

Loved his comments on Luke which is exactly what we were all thinking...and he did give Scott a MORE than fair shot at it with the amount of time they waited.

I've been saying it for a while now but I really think JEANIE buss is the problem....not Jim. I don't like this self imposed deadline that Jim gave himself because I don't want the Lakers to make bad moves as a result or lose leverage in any deals because people know about the timeline. Also, I don't want Jeanie bringing Phil back and firing Mitch and Jim so that we can run the stupid triangle again. Jeanie worries me way more than Jim. Jim is literally in a make or break off-season and he's off to a GREAT start with the Luke hiring and these comments. I have faith in you Jim....keep it up.

15. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Did Jimmy Boy just make me change my opinion of him?

Hmmmm........

16. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah...Jim sounding extremely level headed these days. Great read and I have little criticism of him lately. Honestly the reason I used to criticize him was terrible coach hires and poor FA pitches. We mitigated one of those recently.

Jim basically revealed we'd be going after veterans in FA. Him talking little about our potential pick probably means our #1 goal with the pick is to trade it. Fine by me, no obvious franchise players from what Ive seen.

Id recommend reading the article.

17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Good interview. Now let's see what he and Mitch can do this summer. Right now at least the future finally is starting to look bright. The Lakers are in a good position to rebuild and potentially a lot quicker than we might have thought. A lot is riding on keeping the pick though. Hopefully we fall into good luck there.

LaVarBallsDad, LTLakerFan and revgen like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

No no no :dwightcrying: .....the other guy ....errr.....fan is the punk .... SIR!! I am feeling lucky though. :Magic Brows:

[​IMG]

19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Its nice to hear from Jim, I wish he made himself more available for interviews. At least he and Mitch seem to know where we are and what we need to do. But man, Jim, go fix things with your sister, get the FO back in one piece and take us back to greatness.

20. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Maybe Jim is finally turning the corner and learning from his past mistakes.

Off Topic - Just realized the Lottery is on my birthday, good news please!

DjBelvedere, Cookie and Weezy like this.