Isaiah Thomas Thread: He’s Gone Again

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

We still have 45 minutes to trade him

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

No I totally get that... but the Lakers are unlikely to force KCP to the bench for exactly the same reason. If KCP is willing to come off the bench, that's one thing, but the two of them are trying to get a payday and that's not as likely if they're benched.

However, IT has really damaged his own reputation with the way he acted in Cleveland, fair or not. He would do better for his standing in the league if he was willing to take a bench role. KCP too for that matter, but it takes someone willing to do it though.

3. therealdeal

4. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

True. But I see it as kcp getting all season as a starter to prove his worth. He's proven he doesn't deserve to start over Isaiah, despite how disappointing IT has been. The rich Paul thing is a tricky pr situation.

Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  5. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

We better not buy him out...that would be the stupidest thing at this point.

Let his agent settle down...unless IT2 comes out and says "I NEED TO START", I don't care.

To be fair, I think IT2 SHOULD be starting. Let Lonzo come off the bench and ease back into things. Lonzo with the 2nd unit is actually better for us because he'll be with Kuzma and Hart and they can play a bit faster. Luke can figure this out...right?

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

No. Lonzo needs to start right away. Lonzo needs as many minutes as possible with Ingram, Randle and the players that may be with this team moving forward.

sirronstuff, Kenzo, tada and 2 others like this.
  7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Why is it stupid? We need some scoring after trading JC, i get that. But if he's starting with the demands, acts like a d*** and if there's even the smallest hint of him being a locker room cancer... GET RID OF HIM. Last thing we need is for someone to f*** with our chemistry right now.
    Also, hell to the no about Lonzo coming off the bench.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    raviator and Cookie like this.
  8. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the team. He is going to start one way or another, because Zo is not back yet, and you can always bench Pope. Ultimately, he easily replaces Clarkson's production; sort of a Clarkson/Lou hybrid when you think about it. Make us look better this season and then good luck to you. That's all there is to it. He plays for the contract, we can use his scoring for a short while.

9. therealdeal

Lonzo should not be coming off the bench under any circumstances. He's our centerpiece. He's the guy we want to draw FAs this summer as much as anything else. Putting him on the bench is a non-starter.

For the record, I think Isaiah is best suited as a bench player. He's a super charged version of a 6th man and that's his best role. If we start him, that's fine, I don't honestly care, but if I'm the Lakers I'm not doing anything at all that jeopardizes our plans this summer.

That being said, LeBron is clearly out of there and we have two max slots available so does his relationship to KCP really matter that much? We'll see.

RasAlgethi, tada, Cookie and 5 others like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Doesn't he play the point too? What was LeBron dissing Kyrie over ... that right?

11. fabfourlakers

Guys, I get what you're saying but we also need to WIN and right now, getting IT2 up to speed gets us closer to WINS, which is what will ultimately attract FA's. Lonzo is still gonna get his minutes, and in fact our 2nd unit becomes really dangerous with Lonzo off the bench. Also, a lot less pressure on Lonzo too with IT2 in the fold; now Lonzo can focus on setting up his teammates and he won't have to score as much. He can focus on what he does best is my point.

In crunch time, it'll be about who is playing well...can definitely see Lonzo and IT2 out there together with Ingram, Kuzma and Randle.

12. LTLakerFan

:Laugh:

13. LTLakerFan

If he's going to have us back to sucking on overall defensive rotations to cover him being a midget then Luke better not have him out there on those nights against the starters. We can't go back to a turnstile at one guard spot.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. Kenzo

I'm realy afraid guy is toxic, he's in "panic mode". Contract year, coming back from injury, not the sharpest tool in the shed either. He was once talking about truckw with cash... now he may end up in freakin china.

sirronstuff and Cookie like this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

naw he'll still get a truck sz worthy nba deal, the truck will judt be mire proportional to IT real sz now lol

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t think he’s toxic. Time will tell, but he’s a 28 game rental, so not a huge deal. I think what’s most likely is Cleveland has 3 Finals in-a-row-itis, and the players were sick of, and hated eachother. That’s why they replaced half the roster in one day.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. fabfourlakers

I do hope his agent STFU and realizes that IT2 has a golden opportunity here to bring us back to the playoffs, and he can do that coming OFF the bench like Lou Williams has been doing for the Clippers and still be our best player.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. Kenzo

But if he starts pouting, demands to start, acts like a d***, there goes the chemistry. Even if it's just for a few weeks.

Cookie likes this.
  19. therealdeal

20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Then he’s easily bought out, or like Deng, told to just go away. I really don’t see this happening though, this is his last chance to prove he’s still good and get a nice contract. If he acts like a cancer that’s not helping his case. I could be wrong, but I’m just not worried.