Is Our Window About To Close?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by sirronstuff, Apr 16, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Was it already closed? If not, is it about to close officially?

https://www.espn.ph/olympics/story/...asketball-finalizing-24-paris-olympics-roster

Both Lebron and AD plan on playing in the Olympics this year. In the past, we've seen younger players have their next season pretty dramatically affected due to fatigue. How about the guy with more miles than anyone in the history of the league? How about the guy with a history of injury even though he's been in one of the healthiest stretches of his career?

Lebron played a LOT of games this year, and AD played more than any other superstar. When adding to this the intense load of an Olympic Games, can we really expect them to be ready to play more than 50% of the season next year? If they play more, will they be healthy? When they do play, will they have enough in the tank to sustain through a playoff run if they were to get there?

I get wanting to represent your country, but to me, this represents the beginning of the end even for the biggest genetic freak in basketball during our lifetime. I don't think you do this after year 20 and expect to be able to carry any reasonable load the next year. I don't expect his impact to be there, and although I'm sure he'll put up stats, they will be empty stats.

Without the two of them playing full time, what kind of a mess will we be in if we were 8th this year and still have Ham for a coach? Root hard for this year, as this is likely the best of the rest of what we'll see from this gang unless we somehow find a way to retool in a major way to cover those minutes.

I'm both happy for them and the opportunity, but soberly aware of what this means for our team for next year. This crew is likely done, and it's time to work on the next chapter Rob. We've hit our ceiling.

:Byronbye::Worthywave:

FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I am worried about the disruption to their off-season routine and lack of rest. I think the team is good enough that neither will have to do heavy lifting, but even a light load of meaningful hoops is more than they're accustomed to in the off-season. Bron's done it before so he knows how to calibrate, but he hasn't done it as a 40 year old where every extra mile on the body really matters.

I fear Rob and Jeanie will use this as a safe excuse to go the 3rd star route.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i really believe that if we didn't owe NO a pick next year, we'd be finding lebron and AD new homes this offseason. but since we do, we won't. next year, lebron will retire and AD will be moved to a contender and a rebuilding phase will start, imo.

or perhaps this is just me being hopeful we're not selling the farm for young this summer.

Helljumper, Bryant and sirronstuff like this.
  4. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

If you are referring to potentially winning the championship, our window is already closed. We could still make some noise in the playoffs and our goal is to stay competitive, but we are not winning it all any time soon. It takes time to create a true contender, fine-tune the team, and build chemistry. Plus, you need adequate coaching staff. I don't think we'll be horrible, no -- but we won't be that great either.

5. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Not even close. We're going to land a star that fits the age between 25-28 and be contending for the next 3-4 seasons.

Quote me in August.

LakerFanIam, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  6. sirronstuff

Who are you going after to keep this team contending after Lebron is gone?

if he stays and extends, do you really expect us to more than just competitive? I’m not seeing a serious contender.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

who do you think it is? and to be clear, if what i said is what happens, i don't see another decade of futility like what happened post-kobe. we'll rebound faster, and my guess is still that we pursue and obtain luka.

karacha likes this.
  8. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

My magic crystal ball says it's a guy named Donovan Mitchell

:Laugh:

I doubt the Olympics will be that severe for the both of them. The USA team is literally stocked to the gills and they'll split the minutes pretty evenly.

VladeD714 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Dude was right that posted below you.

I think it's Mitchell. Just my opinion. Perfect age and fit with AD/LBJ and post LBJ.

We've done transactions with Cleveland in the past and Klutch has a relationship and while other teams have more "picks", I believe we could offer the best combination of players and picks, IMO.

Not a fan of Young personally, but could see us going that route, but I'd don't care much for him.

10. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

We can discuss this after we win the championship. We are on a level playing field now. All we need is a roll of duct tape and Ham mysteriously misses game one. One of the best basketball minds I know told me that Austin didn't start slow because of playing during the summer, he started slow because of adjusting from NBA level coaching back to Ham.

11. sirronstuff

12. sirronstuff

well the good news is the guys will get some rest before playing in the Olympics. Terrible news for their availability next year, but it is what it is.

wcsoldier81 likes this.
  13. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Change the title to the stupid BRICKBRICK trade closed the LeBron window of ever winning another title forever

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

window closed n nailed shut, den,minn,okc continue to get better w/o having top 5 salary

15. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Den payroll is higher than ours this season and next. Next season Min and Mem, will be right up there with us, with the Mavs 6M behind.

Milwaukee, Miami will have a larger payroll too. We aren't exactly cheap,but we aren't big spenders either.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024 at 10:42 PM
  16. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, even if we bring in Mitchell or Trae this summer, we still won’t beat Denver or Boston.
    AD should be the guy to build around, until we can trade him for Luka, Tatum, or Antman. Imagine KAT and AD on the same team.
    LeBron should retire.
    Signing LeBron to a 2
    Or three year deal will just be about “staying relevant” and making money- not about winning.

17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It closed when we panicked and traded for Westbrick to counter what the Nets were doing, and then let Caruso walk. We had a team capable of repeating, AD just got hurt, all we needed were some minor roster changes, maybe Kuz and Trez still get traded for a better fitting player, but KCP, Caruso, Dennis all could have stayed, maybe Drummond as well.

OX1947 likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

We could have flipped Rus for Kyrie, problem solved. We could have chose Caruso over Tucker and probably got by Denver last season . This one too.