How Bout Them Cowboys!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Jan 13, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Not a good pick. The Cowboys needed a secondary and instead they got another RB. Morris would have been just fine behind that stellar offensive line.

I mean all things considered, Elliot will be great but that doesn't mean more wins for them than a good defensive player would have been (Ramsey).

2. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Completely disagree. I think a lot of people are overreacting. The defense played pretty well last season considering Romo was out all year. They kept the Cowboys in most games despite horrific QB play which eventually did them in. Yes they struggled with turnovers, but how does Ramsey help that? He had just three picks in his career and he has plenty of question marks himself. He's good in press, but doesn't have great technique and definitely isn't ready to play safety. The Cowboys still have some holes to fill on both sides, but passing up on a special talent like Elliot I can see why they made the pick. He has 10x the ability that Murray did and the latter led the league in rushing. Imagine what Elliot could do. In 2014 we controlled the clock with a dominant run game. Nearly got us to a NFC Championship game. It's a proven, effective formula. There is plenty of other solid defensive players in this draft, but there isn't any other back that's anywhere near Elliot.

3. therealdeal

Which is why you bring in a solid running back like Morris to do the job running the ball. He was a terrific pickup for them because it allowed them to focus on other things in the draft that they needed like help defensively. Ramsey was the right choice there. Why bring in Morris at all if you've already got DMC and you were planning on drafting Elliot? Doesn't make much sense. It's like the C Bags drafting guards every year.

Elliot will do well for them. He's a good running back, but it didn't address their more desperate need which is dynamic defensive player. I like the fit a lot and Elliot will do fine, but it wasn't the right call.

4. Lakers2015

It's depth man. Morris's numbers have plummeted the last few years. Yes the same was the case with McFadden and he had a nice year last season, but he's 30 years old now can you really count on that again? Here you get an opportunity to get a 20 year old stud who gives you a work horse back and doesn't have the injury concerns along with obviously mileage that someone like McFadden does. The Cowboys depth at back was shoddy at best last year with the knucklehead Randle, an aging McFadden, and Dunbar who tore his ACL. Now all of a sudden it's as good a depth as anyone in the league. The Cowboys would've have done this if they didn't think the kid was special and he without question makes them one of the most dynamic and well rounded offenses. That was the same exact formula that worked for them two years ago.

Also they're picking 34 in the second round so that's basically like another first round pick. They also have two third round picks. One being early in the round as well. Those three picks could all be defensive and all of a sudden you're looking at possibly getting two to three starters on defense with maybe at least one impact player. Yes Ramsey is a good player, but he's not Deion Sanders. At least not yet. If you don't take Zeke then you're having to rely on two aging backs. Michael Irvin hit the nail on the head. Dallas lost their identity and they get it back. That's smash mouth football, controlling the line of scrimmage, keeping Tony's pass attempts down, taking some pressure off Dez and Witten as well, and helping the defense stay off the field. Is the defense great? No and no matter if we had Ramsey they still wouldn't have been, but they're definitely better than they were a few years ago with Lee back in the fold who is a stud, McClain had another solid year, Scandrick returning, Byron Jones entering his second year coming off a solid rookie campaign, and you have your top two pass rushers coming back after four games. The schedule isn't real difficult at the beginning so they should still be able to hold the fort down. With a couple of starters on defense here in these next few rounds I think they'll be just fine. With the offense they're gonna have out there they don't need to have a Denver type defense.

Obviously this is all moot if Romo goes down again. I would still like them try to trade for a veteran quarterback that isn't washed up. Cassel would've been decent five years ago, but he was clearly over the hill. Maybe someone like Foles? Rams don't need him anymore obviously and he would be a good backup for Tony and then you draft someone in round 4 or 6 to be the third guy to compete with Moore.

5. Lakers2015

Damn even if you hate Dallas you have to be happy for this kid.

Had that brutal injury otherwise he's a top five pick. Cowboys would've likely selected him #4.

It's a huge, huge risk with an early second round pick, but there's also a huge, huge reward. Won't help this season, but the kid can be a trancendent type player. Cowboys Doctor did the surgery and said he will have a ten year career so I think that's a big factor as well.

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Cowboys killed it in the draft.

7. Lakers2015

Potentially. If Jaylon recovers it could go down as one of our great drafts. If not well could be one the Cowboys look back on with regret. They took some risks last year with Gregory and obviously he's suspended now. Still can't give up on him, but sometimes these risks pay off sometimes they don't. It'd be great if every player is a safe selection, but unfortunately most of them have some degree of risk to it.

8. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC - Rookie -

Robotics Process Software Developer
    Not sure why you would think the secondary needed help........ I think they have good talent and decent depth within the secondary. With Orlando back and Jones at FS I think they got an upgrade from within from last years squad.... they look aggressive in training camp, lets hope it transitions to the regular season.

Now Dline help ....... ya they could have used some Dline help but at the same time I was not very impressed with this years draft as it relates to the Dline... not to mention that it generally takes 2 to 3 years before that drafted help becomes a catalytic player that can make a huge difference consistently.

I think the the pick was sound...... a great offence can put enough pressure on opposing teams to help their own defines out by controlling the ball and scoring points. This is the formula they are trying to accomplish.... it kind of worked in 2014..... we'll see how it pans out with an even more dynamic RB and a new revitalized Triplets ........ if Romo stays healthy and this offence can put up 28+ a game, the defence will be enough to win the East and get back in the SB hunt.

9. therealdeal

It just wasn't all that necessary. You don't need a great running back behind a great offensive line. You need a good running back which they already had in DMC and Morris. Why sign Morris if you're drafting Elliot?

Meanwhile they need help in other places and those places don't get enough help. Elliot will do fine, but it wasn't the right pick.

Just like the Rams trading all their picks for Goff. Why? You need more help and Goff isn't Payton.

10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Elliot looks like a game-breaker which Morris and McFadden isn't. McFadden's best days are behind him. Morris would be fine for the short term and as relief to keep Elliot fresh. Elliot could also take the pressure of Romo who had his best season when Murray was their bell-cow back. Their defense won't be on the field as much if their offense have long possessions.

The Goff transaction is similar to when Ditka with Nawlins traded all of his picks for running back Ricky Williams... Not exactly the same but close.

11. therealdeal

I just don't agree with the approach. Morris is good enough and there's other things that need to happen. They'll be fine. Elliott looks great and he'll definitely be great for the Boys, I just don't agree with building the team that way.

If I were the Rams, I would have taken one of the 4-5 great WR prospects in this draft and then taken Lynch or something in the 2nd round. I just don't think Goff is THAT guy. Elliot is closer to being THAT guy, but I just don't like that strategy.

12. Lakers2015

It was the right pick because Zeke is a SPECIAL talent. Sure the Cowboys could have average backs who have success with their OL, but even with that the run game wasn't nearly as potent as it was in 2014 when they had Murray. Obviously part of that is because Romo and Dez were injured, but also McFadden couldn't get into the end zone. He only had four rushing touchdowns. Zeke will probably have 3x as many as that. I think it's silly to just say it's a bad pick because of the fact that Zeke is a running back. Who cares? The guy is an incredible talent. He's one of the most complete backs to come out in years and with Romo's injury history exactly what Dallas needed. Is Ramsey gonna make the Cowboys that much better on defense as a rookie? Maybe, but then what do they do at running back? You have Morris and McFadden as your backs. Two backs who aren't the same guys they were three or four years ago and even then they never were as good as Zeke will be this season and the coming years.

I just don't understand all the arguing about this pick. We saw what happened to Romo when they couldn't run the ball at all in either of the games he got hurt. Now you throw Zeke in who not gives you an elite runner, but an excellent pass protector and another option in the pass game. This is the same guy who absolutely dominated in the national championship and BCS playoffs in general. Nobody had an answer for him. There's literally nothing Zeke can't do and he's a perfect fit for this team and something that is much needed.

13. Lakers2015

Exactly. McFadden or Morris just don't have what this kid Elliott has. He is better at every aspect at this position. Romo cannot carry this team like he had to last season. He's gonna get hurt. Is it a coincidence he played near a full season and was there in the playoffs when they had a dominant running game? McFadden played well last year, but a lot of those yards were pretty meaningless considering he couldn't get in the end zone or pick up nearly enough first downs.

14. therealdeal

Part? That's almost all of it. Defenses just stacked the box and dared whoever the Cowboys had at QB to beat them down the field. It wasn't going to happen.

Again: you have Alfred Morris who is an above average RB. You could have had Ramsey or better yet Buckner who is an absolute beast. Morris and DMC would do just fine and then you would have the defensive help that the Cowboys really need.

15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Multiple picks for that one player is a risky play I agree. I reckon Dallas believes Elliott is one of those rare generational talent that was worth taking the risk. Jones is a gambler so it is par for the course for him. I read a story that he was remorseful not giving up a higher draft pick for the chance to get Paxton Lynch. He felt he would have been a potential heir apparent to Romo.

I am with you though that building a team with savvy draft choices is the better option. That is what Reggie McKenzie is doing for the Raiders.

16. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

Morris had one great year but his numbers have slowly decreased every year since his rookie year.

Now I expect him to play better behind that line when he gets touches but lets not overrate Morris based on 1 great year where the option play took the NFL off guard....... gimmick offences like that generally do well for one season until DC get a full offseason of tape to come up with schemes to neutralize it. His numbers have decreased as they have moved to a more tradition offence up in Washington knowing the jig was up with running so much read option.

There just wasn't much talent in the draft this year where the Cowboys needed the help.... Ramsey does not help them on the Dline....... they have Jones now playing "FS" and Scandrick back from injury. True you can never have to much depth in the secondary but where the Cowboys actually need help was at DE and possibly LB...... The draft was not deep at DE and it would have been a stretch to use the 5th pick to try and nab what was available.

You can also help a defence by putting up points and making your opponent play from behind.... that was the formula in 2014 and will be again this year. It can be a working formula and can go a long way to protecting your defence. TO's come from forcing an offence one dimensional and forcing them to take more risks.

there is more than 1 way to skin that cat

I do think that's the Cowboys plan..... They will absolutely dare teams to stack the box with a healthy Romo and Dez........ no team will do that against the Cowboys with a healthy Romo behind centre ...... not unless they want to give up 30 that game. Don't use last year as your barometer, they got caught with their pants down when the injury bug hit skilled positions on the offence....it would be an overreaction to put too much stock in that happening again this year. You can't have a steak at every position and back ups..... you have to work with a few pork chops and hedge your bets sometimes........ personally I think Dak Prescott has looked extremely composed in training camp and the first pre-season game.....seems much more equipped to handle that back up role with lots of upside.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  17. therealdeal

How am I overrating him? All I said is he would do fine behind that fantastic offensive line. I didn't say he was a great runner, I never said that. I said the team could have used their picks more efficiently to better fill out needs and nobody has yet proven I'm wrong in that opinion. All I keep hearing is that Elliott is going to be great. That's not really the point.
    Just because you can't have great depth everywhere, doesn't mean you shouldn't strive for it. If you have a solid B running back behind a great offensive line and at best a C at the defensive line, why wouldn't you go get a defensive linemen?

They could have traded down, picked up another asset and still gotten Buckner. Buckner and maybe another 4th or 3rd round pick. You can then pick up DeAndre Washington, CJ Prosise, Devontae Booker, Paul Perkins, Jordan Howard, or Wendall Smallwood. Are any of them likely better than Elliott? No, but at least you have a tremendous defensive lineman as well which is something that defense desperately needed.

18. therealdeal

Exactly. Fill positions of need as you go along with high impact players. Fight for depth.

I hated the Rams trade and I dislike this move by the Cowboys. I stick by that.

19. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

Generally it takes a couple years for DLineman to have any impact in the NFL...... my guess is the strategy is to win now because of Romo's age and just how hard it is to find a QB you think you can win big with. I guess it comes down to do you take the long view or the short view...... with 30% upheaval each year in overall roster and just how hard it actually is to land a franchise QB I think the Cowboys approach is sound. Find someone who can help now, not in 2 or 3 years. RB of high value usually can step in right away and produce at a high level, that does not happen on the Dline right out of drafts, especially one that was considered kind of weak which this year's draft was.

I rather collect assets perhaps and stock picks in order to trade up in future drafts for can't miss talent....... but to just use picks on a weak draft? not sure just taking more picks by trading down in this past draft would mount to a hill of beans. Elliot matches well with the philosophy Jason. G implements.... I'll take a a good fit with catalytic upside anyway over more picks for depth players. Sometimes you can stock pile picks that don't help much in the long haul, sometimes that approach is a bit overrated.... I only do that if a catalytic player is not still on the board when it's time to pick..... I do think Elliot has that kind of upside and is a player that can affect a game right out of the box.

----------

as far as Morris goes..... I was just pointing out that his numbers have been on the decline since the gimmick offense Washington ran around RG3 has been somewhat exposed..and that decline has nothing to do with age, injury or tread on the tires....... he is more than serviceable and I said I expect him to do better behind the Dallas Oline but I like him as a #2 option way more than a primary back or guy expected to split carries with an injury prone back given the fact he has not shown much under a more traditional NFL scheme. I don't think he scares a defense into 8 or 9 man fronts..... Elliot will cause match up issues and also is a much better blocker already in pass protection than Morris has shown thru-out his career... that's kind of important with a QB who's been dinged up in the past.

I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  20. therealdeal

I still expect the Boys to do well and I've said that from the start Elliott is going to be a stud. I just wouldn't approach my team that way. I'm all about asset accumulation, especially in football where injuries happen so often. What happens if Elliott goes down tomorrow? Now you're in the same spot as you would have been if you'd traded down, but you don't have a stud DE prospect too.

They'll be fine, but they better hope Dez, Romo, and Elliott stay healthy because they're going to only beat teams on the offensive end of the ball. Just like the Rams better hope their defensive depth holds up because that offense is going to be relying almost exclusively on Gurley.