Get Rid Of The Electoral College?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Azndude2190, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

There's a difference between finding hypocrisy and not being sufficiently outraged enough from someones perspective.

So what? Just because Bernie Sanders supporters weren't rioting out on the streets because they dislike superdelegates means that the Left are hypocrites in this specific instance? Point being the issue of the EC has been brought up before from people BOTH on the LEFT and RIGHT.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Basketball > Politics

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

How about this: give a percentage of the electoral votes dependent on how many counties are won/lost in a state. That way there's greater representation. I know lot of people who don't vote in California because it's a blue state and their vote will be "irrelevant". This would fix that issue and give people the greater individual representation that they're asking for.

TIME likes this.
  4. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I don't think the Bernie supporters were the ones guilty of hypocrisy on this. It's the Hillary supporters who are the ones crying loudest over the EC now, but who were smugly happy that they had the super delegates in their pocket in the Primary.

5. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Actually what I meant was more in general terms, like if we drop the electoral college in favor of popular vote, then should we also drop the 3/4ths requirement to ratify a Constitution and replace that with popular vote too? Since it's "unfair" that California would have the same number of votes as a state like Idaho... Something to think about.

6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I also recall there being talk leading up to the election of Trump winning the popular vote since in some national polls he was actually polling better than in the battleground state polls. And the response to that was some of the same smug left wing media members chuckling and saying it doesn't matter because Hillary couldn't lose in the electoral college. I distinctly remember it because I remember the b****-fest they had about Gore winning the popular vote, but losing the election and now they were sort of rubbing in the fact that the popular vote didn't matter since Trump's path to victory was so narrow with the electoral college.

There is no way to prove it, but if it was strictly a popular vote, I would have thought Trump had a better chance to win that with what had to have break for him to take the electoral college. If it was a popular vote, he could have campaigned completely differently and I would have liked his chances of that better than trying to win Pennsylvania or Michigan.

Whatever. What makes me upset is I feel like I'm standing up for Trump like I voted for the guy. I didn't even vote for him. :D

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Trump won 3,084 counties.
    Hillary won 57 counties.

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think the electoral college accurately represents the will of the people across the entire country.

There would be a major issue if the populations in a few big cities dictated policy for the entire country.

That counties stat is very telling to that end, and really reflects how densely populated certain areas are in order for Hillary to have won the popular vote and lost the election so decisively.

9. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    There are 58 counties in California. If we were to give Hillary another county she'd have all of California and totally shut out in the other 49 states.

49 >> 1

Lakerman JSJ and sirronstuff like this.
  10. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

Btw, about all the talk of Hillary winning by 3 million. I believe 130 million voted, 67 for Hillary, and 63 for Trump. So less than a 2% difference, depending on the exact number you use. Doesn't seem like so much now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    John3:16 and Barnstable like this.