Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

whipping that a** tonight though. GOOD!

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That may have been the best Kershaw has pitched all year. The man was locked in.

TIME likes this.
  3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

But...Kate Upton in the stands?!!?!? Oh wait....none of us can really watch the games on TV :Laugh:

I think we could probably get Verlander for some mid tier prospects, but paying 28m per year until 2020 is awful. It might jeopardize signing the big players in the 2019 free agency (resigning Kershaw, Harper, etc.). I heard we are also looking at Gerrit Cole, who might be a good buy low option or we can hope that the Rangers suck and they want to trade Yu Darvish.

@LTLakerFan check out Reddit MLBstreams, their streams work for me using the ad blocker.

If our bats cool off, there's Alex Verdugo in AAA to give us another boost. http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=657077#/career/R/hitting/2017/ALL

TIME likes this.
  4. therealdeal

60 wins... 6 All-Stars... Wood has kept up the pitching half the year...

I may be eating crow soon. This feels like a Pennant team. I still would like a more reliable starter somewhere in there. I can't count on Hill, Maeda, McCarthy, or Ryu.

puffyusaf#2 and Bryant like this.
  5. Bryant

How about getting a dominant bullpen real?

Baez in the 7th, Britton in the 8th, and Jansen in the 9th!

puffyusaf#2, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  6. therealdeal

That would be... terrifying. Really. I'm not sure what I'd give up for him considering he's a rental as of right now, but holy crap. You better not let the Dodgers have the lead in the 7th inning.

I still want another 3rd or 4th starter too. I just don't have faith in Hill, Wood, Maeda, Ryu... I just cringe thinking about it.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think that's more important. I know the thought is to get 5 innings then the bullpen, but in the playoffs, when 3-4 runs is all it takes sometimes, the ames can be out of reach in the 3rd.

8. Bryant

9. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    We have a scary damn team. That is all. Offensively we have the bats to win it all. Turner, Bellinger, Seager, Joc, Grandal, Puig and Taylor can all hurt a pitcher. That isn't the whole squad either. If Woods and Hill can pitch and Kershaw can finally get over his Playoff 7th inning hiccups we may not be beatable in a playoff series.

10. therealdeal

I'm still not sold on the pitching, but this offense has been incredible. Who saw Bellinger and Taylor being this good? Who saw Puig being this improved at the base? If I told you we'd be at 60+ wins at this stage without Adrian Gonzalez basically the entire season? Without a proven #2-4 pitcher? I mean this team is incredible right now and whether they're contenders or not, they believe they're contenders.

I'm still very much looking forward to what we can do at the deadline in terms of pitching. Can we get that 8th inning guy? Can we get a more proven 2/3 pitcher? If we can nail down the rotation, I'll go all-in on this squad being a ring squad.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  11. puffyusaf#2

The only one I think we knew COULD be great is Puig since we have seen flashes of it the last 2 seasons. I saw a stat that said his numbers are fairly similar to last season at this time but this season it seems he is doing things at the right time. Like I've always said a lot of our issues (offensively at least) is hitting with RISP or timely hits. But yea the hype for Bellinger was there but we all know hype doesn't always translate. I didn't even know who Taylor was albeit that isn't saying much since i'm not up on the farm system. We forget we have guys like Agon, Ethier, Van Slyke sitting on the bench that can also change a game. These guys do believe and it isn't just in let Kershaw dominate.

I will be interested in seeing if we pick up another dominant pitcher. That being said I do believe Dodger brass/ management believe that if Hill and Woods can def be #2 and #3 pitchers. I have faith in Hill for sure as long as the blister issue stays under control. In the end, it is hard not to be excited for what this team could possibly do to get over that damn hump.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  12. therealdeal

Puig's best change has been his most professional at-bats of his career. He's taking more pitches than ever and squaring up nicely on balls he should hit. It's awesome seeing him actually playing as well as he should have been all along.

I just don't have faith in Hill staying healthy and Wood hasn't done this on the big stages... I have a great feeling about the team, but I don't trust those two by themselves. If we don't get a starter, then I need that 8th inning pitcher.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  13. puffyusaf#2

Def have liked Puigs maturity. He still has some bonehead moments but he has, for what I have gotten to see, has really taken a big step. I think Belinger and Seager coming to the team took a lot off of Puig to be "the man" and he is responding. I also think he realized that LA doesn't need him like they did when we brought him up.

And I get the trepidation for sure about the pitchers. None of our guys have really shown they can come up huge in playoffs. Although I think Kershaw and Jansen made the jump last season. I really think if we are going to win, as constructed that is, we will need to score early to take some of the pressure off the guys to be "perfect." Tall order? maybe. One great stat I heard today is Dodgers are 10-0 when Jansen pitches more than 3 outs. Thats some experience

14. therealdeal

Oh I'm with you on Kenley and Kershaw. I have no trepidation in those two at all. I think those two will be the driving force of our playoff run. I just don't know if I'm ready to trust Wood out there with that. Wood vs. Scherzer is a hell of a tall order.

I'd feel so much more comfortable with a trade for our pitching staff that's all. I know the Dodgers are high on Verdugo, but how many outfielders do we need?

15. puffyusaf#2

We do seem to have a lot of outfielders lol. I think they go for a pitcher but I believe they are going to stand firm on keeping the solid farm too. It sucks Urias went down I really thought he was going to be huge part of us getting a ring THIS YEAR. yup im gaining faith that we are on the cusp of finally breaking through.

10 wins in a row. Kershaw not having his great stuff and we are only able to put up 1 run.Damn its nice to be Dodger. 10.5 games up in the division too. 1st overall in league standings. wow.

As I think of the pitching I am more leaning to that middle reliever that we need that can eat up 3 or 4 innings is going to be key.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. OX1947

If the Dodgers get Britton, it's over.

17. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

I would like to formally apologize to everyone for sounding super harsh and hypercritical a while back. We all have different philosophies to winning, so I'll respect that. But hey, at least we are winning (and winning a lot) so that's something to celebrate.

Thanks, everyone for putting up with me.

puffyusaf#2 and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

No sweat, brother! We are just emotional fans that's all. I never had an issue. I apologize for responding tersely.

I agree it's great to know our players are performing at literally historic levels. I just wish most of the city could see them play on television. As it is, I'm less bitter since I'm streaming their games off of reddit and they're not seeing money for that.

What do you think they should do at the deadline?

19. therealdeal

20. OX1947

Dodgers HAVE to get Britton!

puffyusaf#2 likes this.