Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

I don't see us using Micah Johnson a lot next year, nor are we happy with Kendrick full-time. We seem to be pretty good at having all our positions covered, even with injuries, so I'm hoping/expecting things to stay the same. At best, Johnson is a bench player (and probably just a pinch-hitter and runner, seeing as his defense sucks), and Kendrick a glorified bench/utility player.

A name being thrown around at 2B is Ian Kinsler, who would be a solid upgrade. Detroit desperately wants to unload bad contracts, so we could easily take on Anibell Sanchez's.

2. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

All that said, looking into the future, I see us trying to get under the luxury tax after 2017 to reset the yearly penalty increases, and then unloading all the monies in the 2018 off-season when every star player and their moms are free agents.

It would be very similar to the international signing period last year where we spent as much as we could on guys like Yadier Alvarez (who is insanely good right now), Starling Heredia, Ronny Brito, and a few others before being all but blocked the next two signing periods.

Notable free agents after the 2018 season is over:

Kershaw
    Cueto
    Josh Donaldson
    Bryce Harper
    Adam Jones
    Craig Kimbrel
    Manny Machado
    Andrew McCutchen
    Andrew Miller
    A.J. Pollock
    Jose Quintana
    David Price
    Garrett Richards

I mean, holy crap. :eek:

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

From that list I'm interested in Kershaw, Cueto, Machado, Miller, and Harper. The rest I'm not that excited about.

I'd be okay with Kinsler, but I don't see the Dodgers paying for anyone.

acetabulum7 likes this.
  4. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Gotta throw in Donaldson and Cutch. :)

Pollock I'd consider if he can stay healthier the next two seasons.

and Quintana I think can be a great mid-rotation guy.

5. KPGC10

KPGC10 - Rookie -

The Dodgers should go after Logan Forsythe and Chris Archer this off-season if the asking price is not too much because we need another quality starter and a starting 2B.

Taking Sanchez's contract just to get Kinsler is not worth it.

acetabulum7 likes this.
  6. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Archer and Forsythe would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone, but last I heard they are still selling high and want a package surrounding Urias.

Maybe they'll "settle" for something like Puig, JDL, and another prospect, but to add Forsythe would cost even more. Bellinger has been asked for, but he's not going anywhere, especially if Puig is gone.

Rays are retooling rather than rebuilding though, so maybe we can throw in some major-league ready pieces like Howie Kendrick or Pedro Baez. And we can pay for their contracts since we know the Rays don't have a huge budget. That's really the only way I see this trade happening.

As far as Sanchez's contract goes, it's only one guaranteed year, and if the idea is to get under the luxury tax and reset it before 2018, then might as well take on bad contracts that end at the end of 2017, and stockpile as much talent as possible so we don't have to give up too many prospects. Knowing the FO (paying for Kemp's contract, paying for Hector Olivera before trading him for essentially "free" players), this seems like the more likely route they would do.

KPGC10 likes this.
  7. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Kazmir opts in and is likely to be traded (weak starting pitching FA market = teams willing to overpay for one). BMac and possibly Wood also on the block.

Ruiz is traded away to make room for Austin Barnes. It's about frickin' time, but that leaves us with minimal catching depth in the minors.

Turner and Jansen get qualifying offers, for which they will most certainly turn down, in order to guarantee the Dodgers at least get draft picks if they lose them. Dodgers would love to keep them, but keeping ALL options open (always gotta be ready for anything).

Dodgers considering closer Greg Holland of the KC Royals (if Kenley doesn't re-sign with us). Question is obviously if he's healthy again from Tommy John surgery one year ago. Number of teams showed up to his successful rehab showcase.

8. KPGC10

KPGC10 - Rookie -

Kazmir should be traded because the team has better options for starters than Kazmir. I have no confidence in Kazmir when he starts because he is either going to pitch well, or be mediocre. Wood and Urias should replace Kazmir and McCarthy in the rotation.

The Dodgers have to do everything they can to make sure Kenley comes back next season.

acetabulum7 likes this.
  9. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

This is Howie do the offseason...by trading Howie Kendrick!

We got back a familiar prospect who was kind of struggling, and a Darin Ruf who is almost akin to Scott Van Slyke except with less defense. But he hits almost a career .300 against lefties, so hope he stays healthy and becomes our new designated pinch-hitter against lefties.

Obviously, this was a move to clear some salary, patch up a major hole from last season, and pave way for a new starting 2nd baseman. :D (no, we are not starting Kiké Hernandez or Chris Taylor)

In other news, there have been rumors of a trade for Justin Verlander. I don't see it happening though, as his asking price is astronomical.

In Minor League news, it seems like Bellinger and Verdugo are continuing to crush it, and FanGraphs named Yadier Alvarez (our big international prize who can hurl 100 mph fastballs as a starter like it's nobody's business) as our new #1 prospect in our system. It's nice to have a good farm.

http://www.truebluela.com/2016/11/1...-2017-fangraphs-yadier-alvarez-cody-bellinger

And yes, stick Urias in our starting lineup next year. I still believe in Alex Wood; he settled down and got much better after fixing his mechanics, and he's still low-cost and entering his prime. I would consider starting JDL, too.

Wooh I wrote a lot.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  10. therealdeal

Apparently Howie wanted out. That's fine with me. Unfortunately that means Utley might be back.

That Kinsler idea you brought up apparently was talked about at the GM meetings so good eye on that one. I'd be up for it.

acetabulum7 likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Seager runaway ROY ....Woot woot!!

TIME, acetabulum7 and therealdeal like this.
  12. therealdeal

That one had his name on it a few months ago, but still cool to see.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Is Ryan Braun still being talked about? I remember their were rumors at the waiver wire deadline thingy that the Dodgers were in talks to get him, and that they decided they'd revisit it in the offseason.

14. LTLakerFan

So. AT&T wants to buy Time Warner. They want that huge deal approved from the Feds. AT&T already bought DirecTV. DirecTV, the sumbit***s, colluded with all the other providers besides then Time Warner Cable to not pony up and carry the Dodgers for the last 3 years. Ergo ..... we will have the Dodgers on TV again next year.

:Headbang:

Sucked for all of us Vinnie that we missed your last 3 seasons. Enjoy your retirement. You and Chick were the best!!

15. LTLakerFan

16. therealdeal

There haven't been any recent rumors that I'd heard, but I'm pretty certain Puig is still on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if that move is made.

17. therealdeal

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm never forgiving the Dodgers and Spectrum/Time Warner for making us miss the last few years of VInny. Never.

Also, I'm not sure I'm as mad at DirecTV after reading the report. Sure the guy who ran the business was a jerk and a hardass, but he protected his consumers from a bs service that TWC/Spectrum shouldn't have pushed in the first place.

18. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Braun to the Dodgers would be epic. I mean what else could we get for a package surrounding Puig? Possibly Sale or Archer, but those asking prices are astronomical.

19. therealdeal

Sale would take a hell of a lot more than Puig. The White Sox are asking for teams entire farm systems. Archer would take slightly less, but still a wild amount especially given his relatively down season last year.

acetabulum7 likes this.
  20. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Now Tigers are asking for Cody Bellinger for Kinsler.

At this rate we won't be making any major trades this off-season. :speechless: