D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

was out drinkin with the fellas last night and i was in my pro-Russel proclamations...then one buddy of mine goes 'oh yea, so you wont feel just a lil salty when Okafor is averaging 20-10 by Christmas?'

it was one of those half-smle, half frown moments

as for the CL talk, i was surprised how easy i forgot about that place..especially for a site that i spent almost a decade being a part of

i remember joining around 07 during the lean years..agonizing with the community during off seasons...then the jubilation during our title runs...

sad to hear it flamed out finally...guess it was a goodthing you guys built this place up...i can't imagine going back to that Lakers Nation site...i think everyone was like 15yrs old there

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It was all @Barnstable who did it. He da real MVP. With help from @thkthebest who is like... the runner-up MVP?

3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's right!! It was all me. I'm the greatest :rock:[/LaBronz voice]

TIME, RasAlgethi, lakerfan2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Been trying to figure out what NBA player he reminds me of. From that video I think it's a young Deron Williams. They move similar, dribble similar and have great handles, and he kinda shoots like him, in that he can pull up on the beak and shoot, or shoot off the dribble with his defender still on him. Also the way they control/run an offense, and get to the hoop for some nice layups. Neither are the most athletic either.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not saying it has flamed out or died. But going on 3 days now can't get on. Wouldn't be the first time for something like that I suppose. Need certain of my smilies though that are very handy for specific things.

Oh, and yeah I feel you about the Okafor trepidation. Big time.

FreeThePeople likes this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I will say in his"defense" he called that Clarkson was going to be a good player. Granted, a broken clock is right twice a day.

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Russell said he was surprised to hear how impressed Paul was with the Ohio State guard's demeanor and willingness to learn the game.

Russell said he found out that Paul thought Russell would be a very good player in the NBA and that he should be a high draft choice.

“Those are big words,” Russell said. “I know the name that he has made for himself in this league. For me to hear something like that from a guy like him, it’s something that I’m trying to work towards to be.”

Chris Paul also said the above about Russell...http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...angelo-russell-chris-paul-20150629-story.html

8. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Kinda reminds me of Curry with those handles and that quick release. Deron had great handles too, but he was also very strong and from what I remember, could dunk on guys. I'm not sure D'Angelo is that type of player, but I see what you mean on those step back jumpers.

9. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    I hope you are right. I have to admint the "amount" of talk about trading Randle and Russell for Cousins made me nervous. I am very excited to see these young men grow and show us if they can take over this team. It seems like we have a very talented and cheap core, which should only get better and better each year. Trading most of it for a veteran player now, to make this team competitive right away, just doesn't seem to make sense for me.

IF our young guns pan our as most of us hope they will, and considering how much cash we will have to spend, we potentially could build a contender over the next 2-3 seasons without trading away any of them. They would basically play the role of good to very good role players around the more experienced star free agents we get in the meantime. After a few years, they would take over (if able to). If the FO remains just a little bit more patient, we could basically build a team to be competitive for the next 10 years.

Yeah I'm being very optimistic, but I feel that we are in a very special situation with the young and cheap talent on our hands, the increasing cap and basically no bad, long-term contracts. It's still the Lakers and I'm confident free agents will want to come over (I've never believed this nobody wants to play in LA/with Kobe anymore nonsense).

Our FO has been very patient over the past seasons and I am very glad it has. Many of us have criticised them for not signing any long-term contracts, even with the better role players. IMHO, it was a good strategy long-term and could give great results in the nearest future. Just remain patient and don't screw it up please. In other words, please let us witness Russell, Randle, Clarkson and the rest of the youth movement on the floor together.

In Mitch I trust!

therealdeal likes this.
  10. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

im glad he went east and we only see him twice a year...that kid is gonna bring something a lil extra when he plays us

11. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I've always....
    I've always liked....
    I....

[​IMG]

12. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

If the reports that he bombed the 2nd workout to a nobody is true, then its his own fault.

I was #teamokafor all the way but if those reports are true he has no one to blame but himself. Russ brought it all and blew everyone away and got the nod, and even jerry west tninks he has IT

Nothing is ever given its earned and russ earned it by workin his a** off

SamsonMiodek and ElginTheGreat like this.
  13. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

LTLakerFan, therealdeal and jerryr88 like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

Thank you! Great interview. Like he has for a long, long time Jim gives if not "the" best interviews around, then certainly they're among the best of the best.

LOVE this kid. His confidence in a no nonsense way just oozes out of him. Talking about facing the great guards in the west he's truly fearless, believes that 1st time around he'll be figuring out what he can do with each and it gets better each successive time. He is totally like Kobe in both those regards. Fearless and knowing that he will figure out a way to compete with anyone. Knows he's not the most athletic. But like has been said here and Jim asked him about that mental part, and Russell acknowledged it like, of course, that's where it all starts. Sooo... thought hit me earlier today, speaking of alpha dogs with unique skills for their positions.....does not suck that right now heading into summer league, pre season and the 2015-2016 season..... we have 3, count em if you need em, 3 alpha dog leaders .... at the least. Kobe, Russell, Randle.

How good can the duo of Russell and Randle get, considering they're younger by far and only one season behind in experience than the duo of Irving and James? With assumption of Randle being capable of knocking down his mid range Js.

jerryr88 likes this.
  15. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Every day i become a bigger fan

Cant wait to see those pretty passes feeding our big men or just knocking down a 3 on his defender

Point 3angelo ftw

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

tada and jerryr88 like this.
  17. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

d'angelo said something like "it starts with the mental aspect, you can be the best all around player but its all about the mental" *cough* lebron *cough*

18. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

[​IMG]

Barnstable likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

Man I'm still wondering about this change of yours. Dismembered your boss and scattered his parts? Like that first escaped convict they caught up to and killed? Be careful whatever you did.... these guys will hang out on Lakers forums looking for you simply because of their popularity and high traffic. Just losing that first "t" might not be enough. You'll need disguises too like the couple in The Americans. :cool:

20. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -