Colin Castleton Discussion: Block Party

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KareemtheGreat33, Jun 23, 2023.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Might as well start his thread

Attached Files:

• Slide.jpg
      Slide.jpg
      File size:
      271.4 KB
      Views:
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Some of the upright running gave me flashbacks of the nightmare that was the Damian Jones experience.

3. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    Yeah lol I see it now

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

he moves a little stiffly, but he's large and has some skill. i question whether he's as good as huff, but he's worth a look. saw chicago picked up sanogo, who was my udfa center interest.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, stiff is the right word. Stiff but quick for a guy his size. Huff was smoother but not as quick. What I do like is he has a good feel for the game. That 3 point shot in the clip looks promising, but he needs to stop practicing stepping on the 3pt line. Good handles for a 7 footer, sees his teammates well, and a good motor. Bigs develop more slowly, so I hope we keep him and let him grow.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wonder what his vertical in the combine was and too lazy right now to look up.

9. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    About 43 oh wait that was Whitmore, this guy probably leaps 2 inches off the floor with that wingspan

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    quota filled!

Khmrp likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Guess I need to watch more clips than the one I saw. Looks like his vertical is actually quite good and he’ll need every inch for Victor game 2 in Sacramento. But Yay!! on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...bine&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Re: shooting ….. from the same article up top in the search above:

“Colin Castleton, whose shooting never materialized at the college level, performed well when it came to shooting. His 15/25 spot up shooting, 19/30 off the dribble shooting, 10/10 free throws, and 14/25 in the 3-point star drill were some of the best numbers for any center present and it might be something that makes a front office believe he could develop into the shooter.”

Shout out to late night commercials everywhere .... "But wait there's more!!"

"To start the G League Elite Camp was measurements–an important step in any pre-draft combine. Colin Castleton measured at an impressive 6’10.5” without shoes, also measuring with a 7’3.5” wingspan that jumps off the page. Considering that Castleton will be looking to carve out a role as a rim protecting anchor, these measurements helped him out considerably."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    Cookie, gcclaker, pika1708 and 5 others like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

just clicked for me: very meyers leonard-ish, especially if he develops the standing three.

gcclaker, TIME, ZenMaster and 2 others like this.
  13. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I was just watching some of Colin's shooting videos. His three point form is good. Doesn't have the hitches of a lot of bigs. I like him more and more all the time. He is another one that I had never really checked out. Wish I had time to watch more college ball. Similar to Austin he would have been drafted if he had wanted to be so it is not unlikely he follows a similar developmental path. Not a typical UDFA. Hopefully Ham will see fit to see what he can do right away since he could fill one of our absolute biggest needs. There isn't much out there. If we can just get passed this he is a rookie so he can't help thinking we got something with our rookie class for the now as well as later.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I love these guys with this kind of confidence. Willing to do what is necessary to get where they want to be. The league is going to be putting in some Laker law soon. Other teams won't be able to stand it if we get another Austin Reaves kind of guy...lol.

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Good arc, solid form but gather and release is a tad slow...

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i thought about that last year, but i'm not sure there's much that can be done in these cases. i think had someone drafted reaves with the intention of signing him to a real deal (not a two-way), then his agent couldn't have turned it down. when you start getting down in the 2nd round, most teams just aren't that excited about the players available, so they're calling agents offering potential two-ways. you can get get that as a udfa without having your rights controlled. i suppose they could change the rules such that 2nd rounders must be offered some kind of contract better than a two-way, but...i don't see that happening. teams would trade out of the bottom of the second round and might have to pay to do so.

anyway, i'm less excited about castleton than i was about reaves (or huff), but i hope i'm wrong and he's another hit. i'm actually more interested in hodge from our udfas. he's got an nba-ready skill right now.

18. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

So 2nd round contracts are negotiated? Like a team can pick a guy and then that player can refuse to sign? Did that ever happened?

I think there's stuff you can do. Like if you refuse a contract or drop out in the 2nd round you have like a cap limit on your contract with any team for like 5 years. Or the team that gets you after pays an additional tax

I know we benefit from this but it's fundamentally wrong and unfair for small markets.

abeer3 likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i don't know about refuse, but there's lots of 2nd rounders that are never signed. often happens with the overseas guys. don't know if you remember sergio llull but he was a star in spain while his draft rights were held for years by houston. spurs drafted scola in the 2nd long before he came over.

often happens with internationals, but happens with college guys, too.

what is "refusing a contract"? and again, these teams have to work with agents to some degree.

if you're that excited about a guy, offer him more than a two-way. pretty sure that if reaves or castleton got a call from a team with a guaranteed vet min offer, they'd have taken it instead of holding out.

well, we benefited once. pretty sure we're not the only team to have done this in nba history. you could also get nothing out of it. again, these are guys that literally every team in the league had at least one if not multiple shots at picking up. it's not worth the hassle to create rules because we got austin reaves that one time. again, detroit could have offered something better than a two-way.

Cookie likes this.
  20. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah remember Lull, indeed happens often with international players.

Hmm, I don't agree with the 2nd paragraph. If you have a team like the Lakers liking you and promising X contract, it's a better gamble than a vet min in a crap team. Even if you bust, at least you spent a year in LA contracted by the Lakers.

Draft was created to allow smaller teams to get players they can't in a free market. This situation hinders that.

"Refusing a contract" seems easy. There should be legal/procurement practices in place, but if you send an offer to an agent email and replies no, he refused the offer. You can even build a platform owned by the league to submit interest/contract offers and if a player/agent refuses it, gets documented and the penalty applies

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.