Ask Mr. Rambis

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Mr. Rambis, May 9, 2019.

1. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    That was the Lakers' neighborhood. Still is when one considers the HQ and training facility in El Segundo.

But the Clippers can take that over. That's an excellent location and demographic. Jeannie had better be looking over her shoulder and planning on competing with those guys.

PurPle n GoLd 1 and SFGOLDRUSHER like this.
  2. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

It doesn't. Matter of fact, Staples Center just became the mecca of basketball for the foreseeable future. Not sure exactly why they would be angry considering it's possible that the Lakers vs Clippers game, for what could be a total of 11 games next year, would be the main event in all of basketball.

Staples Center only exists because of the Buss family and the Lakers. LA Live only exists because of the Buss Family and the Lakers. Anyone yapping about those two things are getting a little over their heads. Doesn't make sense at all.

3. MambaMentality

MambaMentality - Rookie -

My guess is if Boogie and AD are on the court together, Boogie is playing Center on offense, and AD is playing Stretch 4, while on defense AD takes the tougher match up and Cousins gets protected.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

5. Duncankane

Duncankane - Rookie -

I get what you're saying man. The level of adoration for Jerry West is becoming ridiculous. The man was a great exec, but he is human and has made mistakes. And it only takes a few mistakes for you to be kicked to the curb. I remember how after he left, everyone was lambasting Mitch Kupchak as just a West disciple who doesn't know anything, especially during the Smush Parker era. Then he suddenly trades for Pau Gasol, Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown etc, and the man is a genius. After the CP3 debacle, the man was again a moron who couldn't do anything right( granted Jim Buss was right there with him). My point is, there are no geniuses in this field. You can prepare, research and do your due diligence, but at the end of the day, there is still a lot of luck involved in this. Danny Singe was being hailed as a genius just a year ago. Now? He is an indecisive moron who couldn't capitalize on all his supposedly wondrous trade assets. (I for one, am so happy for that. F the Bags forever).Masai Ujiri is now the toast of the town after winning the championship. But what if Kawhi's injury got progressively worse last year, or the Warriors didn't get decimated with injuries? Everybody would be singing a different tune. Again, luck plays a big factor. When the Warriors dynasty winds down, will anyone remember the work Bob Myers did? If the KD and Kyrie experiment implodes, would they still be hailing Sean Marks as a visionary? Everyone picks on Rob Pelinka now for his strange methods but if the Lakers win the next few championships, everyone will be saying he's an eccentric genius who was ahead of his time. Jerry West was a great executive who benefited from the Laker brand, pure and simple.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and SFGOLDRUSHER like this.
  6. SirUsedToTankalot

SirUsedToTankalot - Rookie -

Just to piggyback on this, it is also widely reported that Jerry West as key FO member (under GM Bill Sharman) wanted Sidney Moncrief over Magic Johnson in the 1979 draft class, but the outgoing owner Jack Kent Cooke put his foot down and insisted on Johnson. Jerry Buss also overruled him because he was buying the team and Magic was a bigger name.

Rest is history...

7. muddy7

muddy7 - Rookie -

kawhis contract is only 3 yrs not 4 with a player option after the second season, so he has the flexibility to once again enter the 2021 free agency pool, which includes Giannis

clippers could lose both george and kawhi in 2021:rofl::clap:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    SFGOLDRUSHER and Barnstable like this.
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

West also drafted Mike McGee over Larry Nance. Let that sink in... :)

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG]

@Mr. Rambis is it true that Lebron has signed a major deal with Hanes underwear and plans on doing a lot of commercials during NBA games this year wearing only chonies?

[​IMG]

I'm hoping those rumors are false, but thought your people might be able to confirm or deny.

10. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Dry heaving! I love it!!!

SFGOLDRUSHER and sirronstuff like this.
  11. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    How do you feel?

With my Hanes.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  12. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Disney Cast Member
    I think Mason and Ireland are talking about Mr. Rambis again.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  13. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Today’s show? What time on the show?

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  14. The Laker Link 3.0

Disney Cast Member
    About 20-30 minutes ago.

SFGOLDRUSHER and Barnstable like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Like what was said?

SFGOLDRUSHER and Cookie like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

took me a while to get to this, but my sentiments exactly. i don't really believe in GREAT management (i.e., management that, in itself, gives you a tremendous advantage. i believe in s***ty management, and those guys tend to cycle in and out of the league. but the idea that a handful of dudes are gaming the system and everyone else is their pawn is pretty ridiculous and insulting. daryl morey has zero titles. kevin pritchard has zero titles and has been gleefully fired. some guys play nice with the media so they don't get lambasted as badly for the screw ups, but the screw ups are there for all of them. and dumb luck is there for everyone sometimes, too. there are gradations, but they're overplayed by fans and the press.

mitch was an idiot because nash--who was an allstar the year before--basically broke his body in the preseason? and we gave up basically jack squat to get him, btw. mitch was an idiot because david stern bowed to pressure from small market owners on the cp deal? because mike dantoni tore kobe's achilles? he needs to own mozdeng for sure, but there was a LOT of bad luck there. we could pen some nasty narratives about morey's tenure in houston if we were motivated. basically, without the harden trade and the league's inexplicable interest in putting that guy on the ft line, he'd be out of a job and on tv pretending to be smarter than everyone.

17. The Laker Link 3.0

Disney Cast Member
    They were casting shade. Talking about how someone on Reddit was saying they were from AEG and saying things that ended up not being true.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Thanks

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  19. Mr. Rambis

Mr. Rambis - Rookie - LB Verified Insider

Hearing from the AEG folks that the media is locked and loaded with anti-Laker headlines in case they get off to a slow start. Hopefully tonight was just a bump in the road, but be prepared and don't put too much stock into what you read. Examples of this include things like "LeBron and Vogel feuding. James prefers Kidd to take over as HC" and other drama fueled hot takes.

On a positive note, I'm hearing that Rich Paul and Rob Pelinka have begun talks on how potential incentives might look like for an AD max contract this summer. Momentum seems strong, but nothing will be announced until the summer most likely.

20. icxrays

icxrays - Rookie -

Thanks for the update!