An Interview With Jeanie And Jim Buss- Ramona Shelburne

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Dec 12, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12000240/lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-says-tanking-unforgivable

Attached Files:

alam1108 likes this.
  2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

As usual, I like a lot of what Jeannie says and I don't have a lot of trust in Jim. It's up to Jim and Mitch to do what they say they are going to do and get us back to the top. Otherwise as you and I have talked about real, I think the New York job might be a warm up to the Lakers gig for Phil when all is said and done.

John3:16 likes this.
  3. therealdeal

Well if anything I have more trust in the both of them. It's good to be reminded that these Buss "kids" aren't young, vapid morons. They've been in the industry for 30 years. They've been in the organization through the championships. They know what it takes to get there.

For Jeanie: It's good to hear that she's still adamant about her positions. She's not backing down from Jim's 3 year plan. She's not backing down from the fact it was a mistake hiring D'Antoni and not Phil. Even though she recognizes that her father might have made the call on D'Antoni, she ALSO recognizes that he was in no position to make those moves. A dying man, even a great one, is not the best person to talk to about the future sometimes.

For Jim: I understand his position a little more too. Now that the struggle for power is over and Jeanie won, I'm glad he's sticking to his lane. He's the Basketball Operations President, but he's still under Jeanie's umbrella. He can't make decisions anymore without her approval. The botched hiring of D'Antoni/not hiring of Phil won't happen again. I also appreciate that Jeanie is willing to do what good managers do: let her employees do their job. She gives them the means to achieve and it's on them to get there.

More importantly though, he brings up a great point about LeBron and Carmelo. They're sort of unique in that they have their own brands. A lot of great players don't have that. Guys who could be considered among the best in the NBA like Rondo or Marc Gasol or LaMarcus Aldridge. Those guys do have some branding power, but they're not the same level of star as Carmelo and LeBron. Those two can use their own names to make money, but some guys can't do that. Some max level players can't do that. That puts LA (and NY) in more unique positions to offer them money they can't make elsewhere. It's a solid point and one we'll see if he's right about this summer and next.

The problem with that point is: if the real stars can make money on their own then YOU better come up with another reason for them to be here. We need a competitive team to lure the SUPER stars to the team and not just the "regular" stars. This summer is becoming an incredibly high pressure situation. Screw the 3 year plan, if Jim and Mitch don't find someone THIS summer to add to the roster, they're gone. We can't attract the best players anymore on reputation/money alone anymore.

All that being said, it's great to have them come out and talk. We need to hear from those two more. I found it pretty fascinating how they obviously aren't bosom buddies, but they have a completely viable business relationship.

LTLakerFan, revgen, five6two and 2 others like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Honestly, I don't put a lot of faith in Jim nor Jeanie. My confidence is in Mitch. However, that is wavering too.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if in 5 to 7 years, they sell this team if their not back in. contention.

Jay_ed09 likes this.
  5. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

The interview had some strong points but some disturbing as well, particularly the no tanking part. It's admirable but also foolish to willingly hand over a pick when they are such valuable assets. I could see not tanking if it looked like they would finish 10th or something, but right now it appears as though the Lakers will be cutting it extremely close to going bottom 5.

Of course a lot can still happen and it has to be said that even the Sixers won't admit that they are tanking.

6. therealdeal

No the Sixers have expressed openly that they're tanking.

I thought they brought up a good point about breeding back habits when you try to lose. I think they find a distinction in the fact that they fielded a crap team, so they knew they'd suck, but they aren't actively telling guys to lose and they won't trade away assets for picks. Not unless those assets ask to be moved or are no longer playing (Hi Steve!).

7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think that is the way you should answer questions on tanking.

therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  8. lakerjones

You just answered your own point though - if even the Sixers won't admit tanking, then why in the world would you expect the Lakers FO to come out and openly say are going all in on tanking. It's not a wise move. So it shouldn't disturb you that they didn't. If anything it should bolster your confidence that they aren't making a terrible business move by saying something like that.

But if you look at our recent moves and non moves it seems like the FO is not interested in helping what we have or very worried about losing games. That should tell you all you need to know. Byron is coming out and saying he's going to try out Price as starting PG for the next 20 games. There's not much pressure there to win in that case. We can't come out and say we are tanking. It's a bad message. Our players are trying hard to win games and that's important. They just aren't going to win that many because we aren't talented enough in the West. On top of that with Lin disappearing and Byron playing Price we REALLY aren't going to win a lot. You can't control where you land, really. As I see it right now, the Lakers are a bottom ten team again this year. I thought we were going to do a lot better but that was before Nash, Randle, Swaggy P and Kelly went down. Are we going to be bottom five? I just don't know. Are we going to end up with a top five draft pick? I don't know Cleveland got a number one from the 9th spot. It's hard to predict where we'll end up.

9. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

do you guys really think Jimmy would step down if we're not fixed in 3 years?

10. therealdeal

I think he'd be fired by then if he didn't. That'd mean 7 years in a row of the Lakers not being contenders.

11. lakerjones

I don't know. I do think that if they don't come out with some kind of a contender in this time Jeannie is going to have a lot of pressure on her to can him. But it will take a lot of suckitude for her to do that. We shall see.

revgen, pound4pound and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Their argument is that they aren't tanking, but they are leaving capspace open to attract free agents.

Really? They tried that last year and failed.

Do they think Marc Gasol is going to leave a very good Memphis team to come here for less $$?
    Ditto with Love for Cleveland and Aldridge in Portland?

I can see Rondo coming over, but he's going to want more $$ then he's probably worth.

If big name free agents don't come, you have to build from within. If the Lakers don't acquire a pick in the 1 to 5 range, the 2015 1st round pick goes to Phoenix. Our division rival. Do you think the Buss family is going to let that happen? Especially if the capspace friendly team they have can't even make the playoffs?

13. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think the key in all this is that they aren't really defining "fixed" or what they mean by contenders. I am not sure they think being contenders means we need to be in the Finals. I think that as long as we make the playoffs in 3 years, Jimmy will be safe.

14. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Honestly, I don't think Jeannie will fire him. I just don't.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

eewww...you could feel the tension re: phil/mda without even being in that room.

the tank talk was semantics, imo, which is how all front offices sidestep the question (at least when it's asked about their organization).

the FO is clearly tanking, in that they're not trying to do everything it takes to win this year.

lakerjones likes this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I dont know about you guys but I seriously do get the impression that Jeanie isn't afraid at all to pull the plug on Jim as Head of Basketball Operations. Sure she will never say it in public on in an interview but reading in to some of her quotes she wouldn't have the slightest hesitation to let him go and from a fans perspective that has to feel good/reassuring.

17. therealdeal

I think that's their point. Those superstars last year didn't need LA to make more money, but someone like Rondo can make a lot more money here. LeBron and Carmelo have their own brands, their owns clothes, their own shoes and whatnot. They don't need LA to make more money OR win rings. Guys like Rondo and Marc Gasol and LaMarcus Aldridge kind of do need LA or NY to make the HUGE money, not just big money. I don't see Aldridge or Gasol making that jump, but Rondo certainly could. Rondo has shown some marketability and he's obviously a great player. I see the Lakers going HARD after him this summer and heading into next next summer free agency with two solid young assets, Rondo, and enough cap space to go on a spending spree for Durant. I don't know if it works out that way, but I've got to think that's their plan.

18. therealdeal

Agreed.

Ramona does a great job of making you feel the tension re: Phil/D'Antoni. Yikes. Jim for what it's worth seems to regret that decision.

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    That's not happening. You know how that would make them look in the eyes of us, the fans, the city, the league?? They would forever be known as Jerry Buss' kids who couldnt handle it. Just reading Jeanie's comments and seeing her in videos now, she's a proud person of her father's legacy and this Lakers Franchise. She won't sell. PERIOD

20. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Steve Mason had the perfect name for this kind of planning.

Hoping and Wishing. That's basically what it boils down to. Hoping and wishing Rondo, Gasol, or Aldridge come next season. Hope and wish Durant comes in 2016.

You honestly believe the Buss family is sticking to a hope and wish plan and nothing else?

I don't buy it. If so, then they do deserve to be called "kids".