American Sniper: Reactions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by trodgers, Jan 20, 2015.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Film.
    Seth Rogen.
    Michael Moore.
    Responses.

[​IMG]

FYI: I haven't seen the film.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The film is fantastic.

Moore is a complete moron and always has been. The day that fat piece of ****'s credibility finally reaches zero and he's given no more attention will be a good day for the world.

Haven't seen Rogen's comments...
    edit- Just went and read his comments. They're not a huge deal. MOST people felt like the movie was pro-America because it is. A movie can be patriotic and still be great and still have other great messages as well. He said the movie reminded him of a propaganda film... I can see that a little bit, but honestly so what? Propaganda films are made to build national pride. Obviously those movies skew reality and are often exaggerated in favor of the country, but I don't think this movie was. I also don't think Rogen meant it that way. I think when you watch the movie you leave feeling like Eastwood wanted you to feel: like America is great. If you watch the movie, there's no part in there that ILLUSTRATES "America > The World". The STORY doesn't really represent that rhetoric. The PROTAGONIST feels that way, but you're supposed to see and understand the STRUGGLE that those feelings of duty represent.

Either way, what's so wrong about a movie being pro-America? That's a bad thing now? Is Hollywood that turned around?

John3:16 and trodgers like this.
  3. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    [​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Really good movie. As far as war movies go, I'd rate it behind Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down, but far above Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Zero Dark Thirty, and the other greats of the genre. The movie isn't perfect and I doubt Hollywood will allow it to win Best Picture (they seem to be anti-military / anti-America / Anti-anything conservatives embrace). We'll see..... It's up against some other quality movies.

As for Moore and Seth, I share Reals opinion above. Michael Moore is too busy whining about Capitalism while spending his $50 million at the buffet to matter. Seth was probably high when he sent his Tweet out, so I blame that on his addiction.

pound4pound likes this.
  5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I haven't seen it yet, but from all the controversy, it sounds like people either loved it or hated it. Don't know if I want to spend money on it if some of the criticisms are true and it's as Ra Ra Merica as they say.

6. therealdeal

I'd be disappointed if you let a couple negative reviews turn you from this movie. Even if you take the national pride out of it, Bradley Cooper does such a great job he is worth the price of entry alone.

7. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I'll probably see it on DVD. Then I'll be back.

8. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

Eastwood: American Sniper Makes ‘Biggest Antiwar Statement’ of All

by Evan McMurry | 4:55 pm, January 25th, 2015
    American Sniper director Clint Eastwood weighed in on the cultural war surrounding his new, highly-grossing film, telling a Hollywood crowd that, per Yahoo! News, “the biggest antiwar statement any film” can make is to show “the fact of what [war] does to the family and the people who have to go back into civilian life like Chris Kyle did.”

“One of my favorite war movies that I’ve been involved with is Letters from Iwo Jima,” Eastwood told the Producers Guild Award Nominees Breakfast on Saturday. “That was are about family, about being taken away from life, being sent someplace…In World War II, everybody just sort of went home and got over it. Now there is some effort to help people through it. In Chris Kyle’s case no good deed went unpunished.”

American Sniper has been criticized for eliding sniper Chris Kyle’s anti-Iraqi sentiments and ignoring the mendacity that got America in Iraq in the first place, turning the Iraq war, in the words of Rolling Stone’sMatt Taibbi, “into a saccharine, almost PG-rated two-hour cinematic diversion about a killing machine with a heart of gold.”​

9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I don't know about "biggest" - because it's not the biggest problem. What's wrong with war isn't that it affects families of combatants; it's that innocents die.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. therealdeal

I completely disagree with the idea that the movie portrayed him as a hero with a heart of gold. It portrayed him as a conflicted man doing what he thought was right.

I seriously hate that Hollywood can't handle a movie that doesn't openly and concretely bury the American military as a horrid war machine. Why does that HAVE to be the narrative? The movie was about a single man and his struggle with duty, honor, and his family.

John3:16 likes this.
  11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^ which is why I say Hollywood won't allow it to win the big awards.

12. therealdeal

Which is really terrible. There's so many more average movies that'll get awards and this is one that actually deserves it. I don't much care for the awards process, but I watched a handful of the movies up for awards this season and I think that was the best one of the bunch.

13. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

My issue isn't even really with Chris Kyle or the movie, it's the "fan club" surrounding him that worships the killing he did.

That said, for me, Band of Brothers is still the gold standard for media portrayal of war. So far no film or tv show has met it yet.

KareemtheGreat33 and Barnstable like this.
  14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Band of Brothers has 10 hours to tell it's story, any 2 hr movie would fail in comparison.

15. therealdeal

I have not found much evidence of a "fan club" that loves the killing he did for the sake of killing.

Personally I'm impressed with his shooting ability (among other personality traits and characteristics), but I'm not proud of it.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Every major social media site I've seen has a fan club for the guy, FWIW.

17. therealdeal

Even this one?

trodgers likes this.
  18. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this. He's a hero depending on which side you're on. Obviously on our side, he is. But, I don't really thinking being a top sniper (killer) should be celebrated.

Regarding the film, I thought it was good but over-rated.

19. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Moreover, he claimed to have shot and killed looters in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.... that's murder! He claimed that he murdered people and now he's an american hero.

Also, he calimed to have knocked out Jesse Ventura when they were in the army, but that was a lie apparently, and Ventura won nearly 2 mil in damages for that lie.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Big fan of LB, but I wouldn't call it a major social media site yet. Twitter, Google+, FB have them fa sho.