2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    1st team all Rookie means he will be one of the top 2 rookie guards at the end of the season. I won't do top 3 ROY voting because I think Towns & Okafor will take 2 of those spots and Mudiay is an unknown. I would do top 4 ROY voting with an injury exclusion though. :call:

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'll take it! What's the bet?

3. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Terms:
    Wins ROY: You have to copy/paste "You may want to take my basketball talent evaluation with a grain of salt and refer to Punk-101's superior scouting skills..." into the body of 20 posts. It has to flow and be appropriate to the topic. You can't just shoehorn it in 20 posts.

2nd place: Sig for 1 month with something along the lines of: "I was so wrong about Ebanks, Wes, and now Russell. When will I learn? I'm tired of eating crow!"

3rd place: Russell avy with bold red text "Punk-101 was right"

What's my punishment if he finishes out of top 3?

4. therealdeal

If he finishes out of the Top 3:

- Sig that says "Wow TRD finally got one right! I couldn't count on D'Angelo "Mr. Lacks Muscle" Russell!" for a month
    - Five tags of "and I really agree with @therealdeal on this one" in any miscellaneous post even if I haven't contributed to the conversation at all.

5. Punk-101

Deal! bookmark this page I case I forget. Any disqualifiers such as freak injury, etc? Although that validates your argument about his physical frame.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I was going to say injuries should be included, but the same works in reverse. If any of the other key rookies gets hurt, he could end up in the top rankings by default.

I'm willing to take the chance though. I'll leave it up to you if you'd like.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    LOL, look what I did.

I get all the fun of watching the bet with none of the potential utter humiliation and shame of losing.

[​IMG]

8. Punk-101

Let's just let it fly. No qualifiers.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  9. therealdeal

10. Punk-101

I'll tell you what. Not written in stone as part of the deal, but if your boy Stanley happens to finish ahead of Russell in ROY voting, I'll add a little extra crow-flavored humility into my punishment.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  11. therealdeal

Deal! That's a good one. I would be pretty surprised if that happened... but I'd enjoy it!

Unfortunately I've heard the C Bags are high on him... I'd be really sad if he ended up there...

12. Punk-101

Bradley/Smart/Johnson would be by far the best defensive perimeter in the league. If Orl drafts Winslow, Payton/Winslow/Gordon is pretty sick too!

therealdeal likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

@therealdeal I think he'll be off the board before then. 9 & 10 both make a lot of sense. MJ needs to find an impact player to be what Lance was supposed to be. He can come on immediately and give them SOMETHING at that position. And with the Heat needing to contend today and with Deng being a FA, he could be a tremendous fit with that group.

14. therealdeal

The Heat were the other big targets. I guess I wouldn't be mad if he ended up there. I have grown to tremendously like Chris Bosh.

@Punk-101 those defensive lineups would be bananas. Another contender for good defensive group: Mudiay/Clarkson/Carroll if one of my dream scenarios played out!

Punk-101 likes this.
  15. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Wasn'tE="RandleROFY, post: 31401, member: 24"]Russell, like ALL the other prospects has to be watched in totality throughout the season. Obviously, we all have our preferences and some will gravitate toward Russell, Winslow, Towns, Mudiay, etc; I've seen Russell the entire season (I have the Big-10 network), so I'm really familiar with his strengths and weaknesses. The video showed a couple of nice plays, but for the most part, it's the simple plays that he makes, the pace that he plays at, the ability to know when to attack recognize the mismatch or pass the ball right in the shooters pocket; all the little details that go into his game that truly make him a unique prospect.

On the other hand, while I do like his length, his lack of explosiveness will be a problem finishing at the rim, getting blitzed on pick in roll, and potentially trying to defend faster more athletic PG's and SG's in the league. Very slight frame, needs to get physically stronger, and attention to detail on defense needs to get better. I think he'll be a better off the ball defender than he is on ball. Still, I am truly excited about him.[/QUOTE]
    Wasnt the same said about curry coming out of davis? Curry like russell had a small frame and he wasnt the greatest shooter in his first year in the nba. Russell is younger and taller than curry. I choose fundamentals over athleticism.

16. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If you didn't watch the Curry highlights video last page when I replied to your highlights video, Curry was doing the same thing he was in the NCAA that he's doing today. He's always had that quick release and no fear attitude. The knock on Curry was always his size and how he'll handle NBA level SG's. We know how that turned out.

17. therealdeal

Well he's fundamentally wrong in his physical form. He's small, slender, and weak. Curry is the exception and not the rule.

Not to mention he's yet to teach himself how to use his right hand. How is that fundamentally sound?

There's a lot of good things about Russell, but the comparison you're making is so difficult to predict.

18. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm getting a gut feeling about Hezonja. Over Mudiay. Over Russell. If we don't end up Top 2 for Okafor/Towns, I think Mitch will take Super Mario at #3-5.

I get he's got a temperament, but there's a lot of talent there for such a young guy. The athleticism, the swagger, the array of offensive moves. Off the dribble, pull up, spot up, dunking over guys. And it's all in arguably the second most competitive professional league in the world in the Spanish League. I'm imagining super athletic Manu Ginobili with this guy. That would be amazing to be honest.

You just don't get this vibe from players often, not even from all of that Wiggin's hype last year, I never got it from him. There's a reason Mitch tried to fly over to Barcelona to check him out.

I would not be at all disappointed if we picked him over Mudiay and Russell.

My rotating board:

1. Okafor
    2. Towns
    3. Hezonja
    4. Mudiay
    5. WCS
    6. Russell
    7 Winslow

abeer3 likes this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@lakerfan2

I like Hezonja a lot too. The concern I have with drafting Russell/Mudiay is that Clarkson is a tweener. Drafting Russell will mean we will have 2 tweeners, and drafting Mudiay means Clarkson will play off the ball (and both can't shoot that well)

Hezonja will definitely be Kobe's successor at SG, enabling Clarkson to focus his development as our future PG.

ZenMaster likes this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah I noticed his lack of using the right hand. For an elite PG? For realz?