2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

We end up with a top 5 pick guaranteed if we have one of the two worst records in the League I believe.

I think we're headed towards that pretty much. No it's not completely reliable and I'm not counting on it happening, but like I said: the likelihood is increasing every day.

2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Good point, but with other teams tanking at the end of the season, I don't think that will be easy because I don't think we will tank on purpose.

3. therealdeal

Well we'll see, but right now we're the second worst team in the League and I don't see a reason to think that'll change much. I think it's reasonable to think Kobe will miss time eventually this season. Hill, Lin, and probably Boozer will miss some time this season. I don't think this team is better than the bottom four fully healthy at this point and with injuries accounted for we're probably going to cement ourselves in the bottom five.

I agree we shouldn't count on it, but I think it's getting pretty likely now. We're on pace for less than 10 wins. I think we'll end up winning more for sure, but just pointing out how bad we are right now.

4. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Hello 1973 sixers. Could be a record setting season!

5. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Anybody know what other teams are setting themselves up for free agency splashes like us the next two years?

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Ive been watching the last 3 Bulls games and damn, Jimmy Butler is really something else. I knew he was super solid defensively, but offensively this year he has taken his game to a whole new level. Last year he averaged 13 ppg and now this year hes currently the Bulls leading scorer at 22 ppg.

Sign me up for jumping on his bandwagon.

7. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

actually both Butler, Jeff Green and Tobias Harris is having a great year.
    I would be happy with any one of them.

8. therealdeal

The Knicks are going to be direct competitors to us in the free agent market the next few years. Two big market teams going at it. One with the best history in the League and one with a slightly brighter future. Interesting.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's basically as I thought - we're going to be in direct competition with Phil. Luckily he's not a great fit in NY as currently constructed with the owner bending over to keep Melo at all costs as he did. That's just a bad combo of Phil and the triangle with Melo. In a way I kind of think that Melo is Phil's kryptonite. I don't think he ever really wanted him. Those two kind of cancel each other out to me. What Melo brings isn't what Phil wants. But they are stuck with each other now.

We have more of a blank slate which I think should be more appealing.

Like you said, realdeal, this situation might be a dress rehearsal for Phil. If Jimmy doesn't come through with a contender in three years (and I'm not sure he'll be able to do that) then he said he's stepping down. If he steps down it opens the door for Phil right around the time he is done in NYC. At that time it might be right for him to come back here and work with Mitch as his GM. Who knows? Just throwing it out there.

10. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Basically, 1/3 of the NBA will have cap space both years. The new CBA made teams to strive to have flexibility so you need more than just flexibility to entice players to come here.

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, you have to be the bottom 2 to even guarantee a top 5. If you're 3rd from the bottom, we could end up 6th or 7th and that pick goes to Phoenix. :barf:

I HIGHLY doubt a team with Kobe ends up second to last in the entire league. That's not feasible with a team with Kobe on it, as much as it looks so right now. It's not going to happen.

12. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Defense wins championships. .. so I'd Sign marc and butler, Draft the best pg in the draft emmanuel mudiay his nba comparison is drose/john wall he also plays good defense according to scouting reports. Then I'd say we're a playoff team, then when Kobe comes off the books we can go for bigger fish.

Mudiay/lin
    kobe/young
    butler/kelly
    randle/jhill
    marc/davis

13. therealdeal

That's a really interesting thought actually. I wonder if Phil would be open to trying again in a different location? I felt like it was unlikely for him to take the NY job at all and he did it. That'd be really interesting actually.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Tobias Harris has a contract bump if he plays in NY, LA, or one or two other places. And he's refusing to sign an extension with Orlando.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I mean this is way ahead of what's happening currently. But Phil clearly wanted to pursue this direction. He tried to push it somewhat if reports are to be believed from the Lakers end in that talk before D' Antoni was signed. Jeannie said he was ready to work again and he was pushing to do this over just consulting. I wasn't as surprised as you were that he took the gig - it was the right job but the wrong team. But Jeannie said recently that she had asked about squeezing in Phil here to work alongside Mitch and Jim and they said there wasn't room. There might just be room if/when Jimmy vacates if he fails to put together a contender in the next few years. That will leave the spot open right at the time that Phil is likely done in NY. I don't doubt at all that Jeannie would hire Phil in that role. It makes perfect sense for him to return as pres. of the basketball operations with Mitch as GM.

Unless Phil somehow manages a Pat Riley and gets Lebron and Love to team up with Melo in NY, I don't see NY going anywhere. If he manages that then all bets are off.

16. therealdeal

New York isn't going anywhere for at least the next 2-3 years. They're on a similar time table as we are. The difference is their star is a half a decade younger than ours. I'm not sure how much Carmelo will do in the recruitment process, but we're in very similar boats.

If we attract a big free agent this summer, I could see Phil looking our way. Catch-22 though. If we nail a free agent this summer, then Jim is doing a good job and there's no real need to get Phil.

17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Neither team is making the case of attracting Free Agents at the moment.

At least Kobe's showing he's still got game, even if it's shooting <40% from the field. Still leading the league in scoring at 37 though.

18. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    We dont have money for Butler, Gasol, not to mention top 5 pick as well. Also not trying to rain down on your hope because id love that scenario too along with Mudiay, his game doesnt seem to flash a John Wall/D-Rose/Westbrook type of driving to the lane. I need to watch tape again I suppose and can easily be wrong.

19. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I wonder what Mitch is thinking, right now.

OmarE likes this.
  20. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Remember jim buss runs the show not mitch, so I'm pretty sure if mitch had more freedom he'd be making moves faster. And as far as not being able to sign both marc and Jimmy, then instead of jimmy sign a veteran like thad young