What Was That? Dare I Say Swarming Defense?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by southbaylakers72, Oct 20, 2014.

1. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

For anyone who saw the mid 2nd QTR on last night against Utah. Regardless of why it happened, was it me or did it seem like the players on the floor were actually defending pursuant to some kind of 'scheme' and actually a 'plan?'

I blinked my eyes a couple of times watching Price step out to defend and then see helpers coming with rotations down to baseline that felt like I was watching Horry, Fox, Fish, Kobe out there. I know it wasn't but did anyone else see that?

Juronimo likes this.
  2. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Yeah when I was rewatching the game I was like omg after the 1st half. But the 2nd ... especially Price was amazing to watch. I hope this starts a trend and is not just a fluke to begin with ...

lakerjones likes this.
  3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It was a thing of beauty. Now I'm wondering why they weren't playing like that before.

therealdeal likes this.
  4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there were some very nice takeaways from last night's game, IMO. First, just like you said, they actually starting clicking on team defense which was great to see. They took control of the game by imposing their will on defense which is something we haven't been able to say for a very long time.

Next, it seemed like the conditioning work is starting to pay off. Utah looked flat in the second half and we looked fresh. It was a nice change up to that second Golden State game where we had scrimmaged earlier and it showed with us having dead legs. I didn't love that, but again, it was too early to question Byron's methods which seemed to have paid dividends last night.

A few other things I really liked - it was cool to see Kobe setting some screens out there for Price and others. Good stuff. Also Kobe was really finding Ed Davis in the post and giving him sweet passes while he had position. Obviously Price's defensive intensity was huge for us. What a breath of fresh air to have a PG out there taking charges ala D. Fish, creating fastbreaks off of steals, getting floor burn by diving for any and all loose balls. It was awesome. Also Randle and Davis really hit the glass and got up on the blocks.

We have good pieces. If only we could get a few key guys back in the fold. We need a bench scorer - and it sounds like Swaggy will be back before X will. One of the two will do. And we need Lin back ASAP. Otherwise I think we're ok. I don't see much room for R. Kelly, and Clarkson is just a rook. Nash hurts the squad more than helps.

Bench scorer and Lin and we're good to go. The rest is gravy.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I really liked how they ratcheted up the defensive intensity yesterday. Hopefully this will become a trend and not a fluke.

6. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Let Nash ride out his last year. Let Price be our primary PG off the bench.

7. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

Damn, Price was amazing.
    And the power combo of Davis and Randle.

8. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

I didn't even realize Hayward and Favors only played the 1st quarter until I saw it on Twitter. Not playing their 3 best players (Trey Burke also out) could have a little to do with it but it was still fun to watch.

southbaylakers72 likes this.
  9. southbaylakers72

Agree with cachooka on possibility of fluke/personnel decision by jazz. But yeah got me dreaming.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

A few big factors went into this:

1. Price's energy. The guy was absolutely everywhere. He dove for loose balls, he attacked the rim, he moved the ball. Fantastic effort from a 31 year old veteran journeyman. He really put Exum through the ringer.

2. Things starting to click defensively for the team. People understanding their roles, their spots, and how to execute the fundamentals that Byron has been pushing on them.

3. The Jazz took out their bigger players in the 2nd half. Now obviously the Lakers aren't at full strength either, but it helps that we were playing against Gobert and not Favors. Gobert is good at a lot of things, but offense isn't one of them. Kanter's brain works a tick slower than a normal person's. We were able to wreck havoc out there because a couple of their prime ball handlers sat through the second half. That being said, we did exactly what we should have done to the players they trotted out.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

So this happened again in stretches tonight. This team has some fight in them and it's nice to see. After getting destroyed 3 games in a row, they fought for a win vs the Jazz, and then fought all game tonight each time they got behind a little. Maybe Byron is getting through to them, maybe they're getting in shape, learning to play together, I don't know, but I hope it keeps up.

'Antoni lost this team, as did Brown, and it was ugly, the blowouts didn't stop. So far this team has rebounded in that they look like they have the energy and desire to play defense and not get destroyed if they can help it, even when the shots aren't falling. Hell, even old man Kobe has played better and harder on defense than I've seen in years.

12. southbaylakers72

While it's only preseason that type of attitude 'only preseason' is what mda and brown made mistakes with as weezy points out. So I like the effort last night. Playing to win. That's a good habit to start practicing. Held phx under 100 before OT and would have won if hill didn't give up on boxing out in last 3 seconds of regulation. No such thing as moral victory but I'm liking what I'm seeing because the team has heart. They look like a team and not a bunch of guys trying to make the team (ok roscoe excluded but I forgive him).

13. therealdeal

Love watching defense again. Phil's teams didn't play regularly great defense. I don't know that we've seen a great defensive team since the 80s. Those Show-Time Lakers were underrated defensively (even though defense in the 80s was a different animal than it is now).

The rotations are getting there. Guys are still late when they get tired, but you'll see that no matter what. Helping the helper and forcing guys into tough shots though, those things are becoming regular and I love it.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. southbaylakers72

Lakers of 80's (late 80's) developed a trapping D if I recall correctly. While there is no Coop on this team and I'd hate to see them become a team that relies upon full court press, the rotations are coming along....Phil's teams early 2000's had benefit of guys like Horry (long wingspan), Fish (quick feet and taking charges), in addition to the obvious (8 and 34). Trying to remember how good B-Scott's New Jersey Nets teams were on D...and for how long...(before a great coach like Phil or Pop figured out a way to neutralize).

therealdeal likes this.
  15. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

they're slowly getting it..once they fully embrace their defensive identity, things will definitely be better...i'm seeing improvement

therealdeal likes this.
  16. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

IIRC, the first of Phil's 3peat teams were top 2-3 defensive teams in the league. The 09-10 teams were not as good, but still upper tier, top 10-15 maybe.

17. therealdeal

Were they? I don't remember. I just don't think I ever identified them as a defensive team. A good team defensively when called upon, but I like that we're building a culture that's defense first. I like that a lot.

18. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

We had a lot of guard penetration last night, didn't like that. Ed Davis was quick to try and help, but sometimes too late.

Rotations need to be on point, not leaving the next pass open. The person open on rotations should be the guy across the court.

Hopefully they'll get there.