Head Coach Search: What Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

btw, i asked a couple pages back but it's worth doing it again.

the premises people seem to be operating on are that a) there's a popovich/spoelstra on the market this summer and b) jj redick isn't that guy. (and really c) that we've already hired redick).

i'll grant the hidden premise. and i can accept the very high likelihood that jj redick isn't gregg popovich II. what i struggle with is who is. because that's the real source of anger--that we're missing out on something great if only we had better people in charge or the right search firm or something.

so who is it?

my contention: there isn't one. the search firm can't find what isn't there.

2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

who said it was a total failure? i actually gave him credit for making the bucks a playoff team and developing giannis. if you weren't so blinded by your ridiculous hate for vogel, maybe you would've noticed that

again, you keep on mentioning parker as apparently being the difference between the bucks losing in the 1st round and making a deep playoff run, but continue to conveniently ignore the injuries to actual superstars AD and lebron in 2021 and pin that team's failure on vogel. so why was vogel expected to overcome injuries to both stars but kidd gets the benefit of the doubt because jabari parker was hurt in 2017? lol.....lmao even. you've got to be trolling at this point

kidd has been the "superior coach" because he's been given a good roster to work with and not one where the three core players are ball dominant scorers and no one plays defense

Cookie, abeer3 and ZenMaster like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

The anger comes from the fact that we have a, for the most part, laughable, inept FO who have proven themselves unworthy over the years by their poor decisions.
    We don’t trust them to make the right decisions, based on their track record.
    They can’t even spell people’s names on a statue they present to the whole world!
    How can we expect them to have the foresight, discernment and vision to pick out a guy who will become a great leader of men?
    I agree that there isn’t that home run hire out there, but what separates the great, from the merely mediocre in this game are those who can pick out a prospect, BEFORE, everyone else can.
    We had TWO of these in Dr. Buss and Jerry West.

ElginTheGreat and Juronimo like this.
  5. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

It's Becky Hammon.

Cookie, ZenMaster, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  6. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

the question you should be asking yourself is: would we even be looking seriously at Redick if he wasn't a well-spoken, good-looking dude, who comes across well as a media guy?

and in my view, the answer to that is: no way!

now then the next rational question is: should we be gambling on maybe those qualities translating to head-coaching, or should we instead pick a guy who has plenty of demonstrable coaching experience either a former HC, or a highly-regarded assistant?

and please don't ask me or anyone else who should get the job. We all have our favorites, but we're not the ones who are doing the research, interviews, and due diligence talking to former players and colleagues of each candidate, so our information is extremely limited.

abeer3 and Juronimo like this.
  7. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Watched Cuban on the Draymond podcast.He had an interesting comment on hiring coaches.He said the most difficult thing was hiring the right coach.He commented that all candidates have the knowledge and can identify what’s wrong with the team.The challenge is finding the person that fits your players at that particular time.

Cookie, LTLakerFan, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Latest from Stein on JJ

With JJ pegged as the guy so early it did have me wondering if the other interviews were a fallback but more importantly for his assistants.

When I broke down who he's played for both HCs and assistant coaches, I floated the idea of Cassell as one of his assistants. Borrego as an assistant would make AD happy. Dudley has the respect of both Bron and AD, so that's a win for both superstars.

Stein on the Cavs search since some of the candidates overlap

9. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

That's what I've been saying they were doing during interviews. They're assembling their staff during these interviews. I'm okay with Borrego as an assistant. Previous head coaching experience, relationship with AD, and could help offensively, IMO.

Really like the Dudley part, too.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

don't matter who the pick, Rob n Co has shown their in ability to make the right hire even with Vogel winning a chip

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    hiring assistants who may be gunning for your job or leave at any time for another opportunity ? What could possibly go wrong?

Kidd was rehabilitating his image here as an assistant, and apparently it worked. Plus, when you have Luka for a PG who he can relate to, is he a good coach, or just a good fit for the current personnel? I'd imagine having two closers on his team in Kyrie and Luka will make him look better than he is, and he isn't as bad as his previous head coaching stop. That's usually the way it works.

But credit to Kidd, he did say he learned a lot from Frank Vogel while he was here. He basically went from being a player to a coach right away, and never had the chance to operate under the umbrella of another coach. Maybe he is truly better for the experience.

And we're about to keep JJ from that same benefit? It may turn out he becomes a much better coach after this stop when someone gives him a chance to learn the ropes without 10 spotlights on him all at once. This is already a tough gig, but to make it your first when you have no experience? Seems foolhardy.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    Cookie and VladeD714 like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

thanks. i think this is possible, and i'm a little surprised we haven't interviewed her.

the answer is no. but i think being well-spoken and attractive/charismatic is something that carries a lot of people a lot of places in life. would steve kerr have gotten his FO and coaching gigs if he ugly and verbally disfluent?

why did pat riley become an assistant and head coach in a period of months?

and you've made my point with the last part. you're sure we're wrong no matter who's hired, even if you don't know what's right.

ok. i don't understand this logic. is it just a different form of laker exceptionalism (we should know who this person is cuz lakers)? because we have enough evidence now that that doesn't exist. jerry buss ain't walking through that door.

also, ham was a highly-regarded assistant. and there's no super highly-regarded head coaches available. the most recent one was...doc rivers.

the cleveland interest in stotts makes sense to me--they probably have better pieces than he did in portland with a weaker conference. he could basically run back the philosophy.

i also think stotts with redick as top assistant here would be a very interesting proposition (and much more like the pat riley situation). guessing neither would go for it, though. redick/dudley might make a lot of folks happy, too, as the object of their ire would be the first one fired with the favorite son the successor.

VladeD714 likes this.
  13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i don't see why hammon would leave the WNBA for this job when her team has won back to back titles. and i shudder to think of the extra criticism she'd get here when times are bad due to being a woman

VladeD714, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i actually think the press might go slightly easier on her precisely because people expect the opposite. fans and bloggers and stuff will probably be biased, but if espn leads every show with some negative take on the lakers' coach who's a woman...bad look, imo.

we're not going to do it, but with jeanie as an owner, it would be a good story.

VladeD714 and VincePT like this.
  15. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    It would be a “great story” was also said of the Ham hiring:Laugh:I would hate to call Becky d******, though, like I did Ham. I like Becky and she won Summer League with a rag tag Spurs rejects.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

why was ham a great story? he had no laker connections and wasn't a unique case (tons of former nba role players work as assistants and then become head coaches). ham was a boring story. like hiring stotts or atkinson or sam cassell would be. doesn't mean it's a bad hire, just a boring story.

hammon would be the first woman head coach in the only organization led primarily by a woman that also happens to be the league's flagship franchise. that's like, the biggest possible coaching story, right?

a redick hire would also be splashy, but not like that.

17. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    there were some celebration in the press for giving a 15 year assistant his dream job and it was the Lakers who did it…

18. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I actually like the idea of Hammon more than JJ and she's really qualified so it would be far from a "Woke" or "Pro-Feminist" appointment. It's a shame we're not looking at her.

Also JJ made like 200 million dollars from his playing career. He won't be doing it for the money. I'm sure Hammon is not poor, but probably not worth even 1/10th of that. I generally prefer people who are hungry to succeed. You know they always go that extra step.

Cookie, sirronstuff and lakerjones like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Money isn't the only thing that can make someone hungry. JJ said he thinks every day about not winning a championship. That's just as powerful and impactful of a driving force.

Barnstable likes this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    She’ll probably have her chance with the Spurs, I would not advice her getting the Lakers gig, it is the most toxic under the microscope job in Sports lol

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.