Head Coach Search: What Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, he has a great paid vacation and doesn't NEED to work the rest of his life. Nothing wrong with waiting for another HC opportunity. No rush to be an Assistant when half of the league thinks you had a raw deal.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

LeBron is going out of his way to be clear that the next coach is the front office's pick. Which is what it should be. He and AD will give their input but the ultimate decision is up Jeannie, Rob, etc.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  3. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

What did you call me?

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  4. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Im taking Adelman. Welcome JJ though ;)

5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    upload_2024-5-25_0-25-52.gif

FrontOfJersey22 and OX1947 like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Knew one these was long form interviews was coming with Haynes and Rich Paul. During the recent pod with Stein, Haynes mentioned he was at his daughter's college graduation and found out Rich's daughter was graduating too. They ended up at the house party at Rich's home and the two were watching playoff basketball together. So any new Klutch stuff should be coming from him for the next couple weeks I imagine

https://x.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1794048337928487339?t=7JxjrW3yG-cbd84Esg0ZSg&s=19

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    Cookie, ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

8. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

I know that McAfee some kind of pc antivirus software ,but never heard of ESPN insider :LLLLLebronlaughing:

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

All I know is JJ better have a damn good staff around him, zero coaching experience to the Lakers is wild. Meanwhile you have guys out there like Adelman, and Nori who might be in the middle of co-coaching his team to a title, way more qualified guys who have earned their shot, and we do this, I genuinely don’t get it.

Cookie, VincePT, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I get that Adelman and Nori have paid their dues as assistants, but I think we have a lot of experience demonstrating that hiring an assistant to their first head coach role is just as much of a crapshoot. Ham paid his dues and earned his shot, got solid experience under a solid head coach. Same with Luke. All the talk was about how they’re great candidates to make the leap to head coach. But they both sucked.

I could totally see a scenario where if we instead go for Adleman or Nori, they end up being mediocre and it turns out their coaching prowess was just an artifact of having elite rosters and great head coaches doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. Meanwhile Redick goes somewhere else and proves that his great basketball knowledge and playing experience does end up translating into a good head coach

I’m not a fan of delaying the process for JJ’s ESPN situation, and especially not a fan if it turns out we’ve been set on JJ from the beginning and haven’t seriously considered the other candidates. But overall I just don’t see any of the other candidates out there as anywhere near a sure enough thing to think that hiring JJ over them is a catastrophic mistake. We’ll have to wait and see how things shake out.

Wino, SamsonMiodek, pika1708 and 5 others like this.
  11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

This is going to be a disaster.

ElginTheGreat and 432J like this.
  12. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    No

Wino and pika1708 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

this. i think it's a big swing, and i'm ok with it. hiring adelman or atkinson or cassell is the easier thing. and it may look like the right thing in retrospect, but working with what i have now (very little), i'm not super concerned about it.

the only thing that concerns me is jj's disrespect for AD in the recent past. i'm sure he had something to say about that in the interview, since he wasn't thrown out like this:

[​IMG]

Wino, SamsonMiodek, TIME and 3 others like this.
  14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Catastrophic is definitely the word that comes to mind. I don’t remember anyone praising Ham’s schemes like they do with Adelman, I just remember him being praised as a guy players liked. That’s not good enough anymore, the coach needs to be competent in multiple areas. JJ could end up being great, but I highly doubt it, I highly doubt he’ll even get enough time as coach to find out, this feels like yet another appease LeBron hire, same as Ham was. Had they done the one hire that felt most like appeasing LeBron in the first place and hired Lue though, we may not be here and we might have had a little more stability to this point. Sorry, I just don’t see how hiring a guy off of tv with zero experience that’s the same age as LeBron is a good idea. But then I guess I never expected this front office to have good ideas, so I’m not really shocked or disappointed, this is totally on brand, just like firing him in 2 years will be.

15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

If they do hire JJ I don't see any problem with him finishing his Finals coverage with ESPN. As mentioned by at least one other person there's video conferencing and there's days off in between games to have plenty of time and ways to plan for the the draft and free agency.

16. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i just can't wrap my head around hiring another rookie HC when you just fired one who was a complete disaster. and redick doesn't even have experience as an AC like ham did

just insane

FrontOfJersey22, Kenzo and lakerjones like this.
  17. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

:LLLLLebronlaughing:
    Stephen H Smith: « We all know that JJ Redik – is the main candidate. LeBron James works behind the scenes. Stop talking crap »
    Regarding LeBron James. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's not a mongoose. He is promoting his position behind the scenes. Stop talking crap. And stop listening to him on this issue »

Cookie, FrontOfJersey22 and abeer3 like this.
  18. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Hiring an assistant is certainly also a crapshoot, but hiring a first-time coach is by definition more of a crapshoot because you have even less information on which to base a prediction.

I'm not opposed to hiring JJ in a vacuum. Given that the Hornets also wanted him and how our interest in him has been discussed by insiders/content creators, I suspect he is considered a legitimate coaching prospect in league circles. It's more so the process that is apparently occurring here is making me very nervous. Clearly, Jeanie and Rob just decided they wanted him a while ago and seem to be crafting a broader search process for show. Clearly, LeBron played a significant part in getting Jeanie and Rob to want JJ but now he's hedging his bets and trying to back away from it. None of this strikes me as the way a well-run organization would be operating, and just reinforces my previously held belief that we are, in fact, a poorly run organization.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  19. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

No one here thinks the Lakers are a well-run organization ;)

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I've been wondering if better media relations would play a role in this hire. Darv's comments, refusal of accountability, recycled cliché after recycled cliché, and the whammy of saying people shouldn't care so much about every single game (which also rubbed the FO the wrong way) didn't play in LA. JJ is as media ready as a candidate can be... he is media. He will win every interview, every presser, and every sound bite. He might come off as arrogant or cocky, but he really knows how to articulate his responses.

Not saying that's why he's in the lead but that is certainly something the hiring committee is aware of and plays a factor. You can't have someone s*** on the fans the way Ham did.

Wino, TIME, Barnstable and 1 other person like this.