Terrorist Kills 50 And Wounds 53 More In Gay Nightclub In Orlando

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 12, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-orlando-nightclub-shooting-20160612-snap-story.html

Omar Mateen, who authorities say could have been a radical Muslim terrorist, entered the nightclub at around 2 in the morning and began opening fire with a shotgun, a handgun, and what has so far been an unidentified device that could have been a bomb.

This is the largest massacre in modern history.

I say "terrorist" by the way because this was an act of terror on the LGBT community, not because he may or may not have been a Muslim extremist.

The death toll is expected to increase as some of those 53 people are critcally injured.

2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

why is this allowed to happen?

why was the shooter able to acquire a gun? why were there no armed security guards who could've stopped this from getting out of hand?

seems like everyday now there's at least one shooting

3. therealdeal

Most clubs don't have armed guards, just bouncers outside who are meant to intimidate people.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Terrible, absolutely terrible. So much hate in the world simply because people are different. The question I ask myself is will this open any eyes of anti-gay people in our own country as to what pushing their hateful agendas can really inspire in extreme cases, or will they not even care? Maybe some good can at least come out of this and hateful people can start viewing others that are different than them as people, the human beings they are, instead of some perceived evil or immoral group.

gcclaker and Barnstable like this.
  5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Theres seems to be a shooting every other day at this point. Can we please do something about it? Either changes to gun regulation or something with mental health.... IDK.

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Awful stuff. I think all of my friends are safe, but there are obviously many people in Orlando who cannot say that. Terrible, terrible news. I've lived in Orlando for the past five years. This is the second attempted massacre here since I've been here (the first was thwarted at UCF).

A few things about this case, as far I can understand:
    There was an armed guard at the club - at least one. He was an off duty police officer working security. He shot at the suspect, in fact.
    The suspect was not only screened in every way we ask in the US; he was, moreover, on the FBI watch list and had an open case for some time (it was later closed for insufficient evidence).
    Third, you don't have to be crazy to do awful things; some terrible human beings are not crazy. He also abused his ex-wife "routinely" when they were married.

7. therealdeal

You're right about the armed security officer, I had forgotten about that.

It's shocking to me that he was able to acquire not just one, but two weapons in less than a week. Shocking. I mean I know everyone will turn this into a political issue, but it's kind of not. That is an enormous fault of whomever he bought that gun from. I mean my father-in-law has a couple of marijuana arrests and he can't buy a gun anymore (he had a bunch, but they took them from him). How does a guy on the FBI list get two guns in less than a week? That shop needs to lose their license and should honestly be barred from selling weapons. Unacceptable.

On another note, someone in Los Angeles was stopped and arrested with an automatic weapon and ammunition in his trunk on the way to a Los Angeles Gay Pride rally. Scary stuff...

8. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

It should be a political issue.

Newtown should have been that wake up call for this country to get its **** together and do something about the abhorrent amount of gun violence there is, but since then nothing, just silence and more deaths.

Barnstable and 432J like this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Waiting for non radical Muslims to condemn the actions of radical Muslims.

10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

That's like the third shooting in the past week, surely there's more that goes unreported but can we stop all this please.

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

They do, every time, and people still say they're waiting for them to condemn it. I don't know who else they expect to condemn it

12. sirronstuff

I never hear of it. I'd like to for a change. I can't remember a time it was publicized.

13. Barnstable

14. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Are you kidding me?

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. Barnstable

16. therealdeal

Seriously please. I hate that today's Twitter society takes moments of horror like this and it becomes a political agenda for any political party.

We no longer take the time to empathize and process tragedy. Instead everyone takes an immediate political stance and starts pushing agendas.

gcclaker likes this.
  17. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Terrible tragedy. Positive thoughts to the families of all the victims and hopefully those who are currently hospitalized recover.

In my opinion, this is more of an issue of Islamic terrorism than it is about mental health, gun control, or the general American population's outlook on the LGBT community. There was a Muslim scholar in Orlando a few months ago filmed speaking about how they should not feel bad that Allah has condemned all gays to death and should instead execute them out of compassion.

I'll refrain from saying more in case you guys don't want that kind of discussion in here, but quite frankly it doesn't make sense to me to separate the clear motivation of the shooter from the discussion of the biggest tragedy in years and instead force it into a thread about general religion.

18. sirronstuff

Terrible thing indeed, and thanks for the link. Glad to see its addressed on all fronts. What a horrible job to have to see things like this first hand. I can't even imagine.

19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Sad world we live in.

And we'll say all this in a month or two when it happens again. And that's really sad too.

gcclaker, Barnstable and alam1108 like this.
  20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Well, this is the reality we leave in. Extremists, of all kinds, will rule the world one day. Then they will consume each other, MAD style, and the Earth and human civilization can restart.

Hopefully next time it will be better. Perhaps if we stayed in paleolithic era...