Strategy for next off-season

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by KB24, Jul 17, 2015.

1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    What do you guys think?

Should we really go all-in on KD?

The problem is, KD is the only top player available in the FA...and every frickin team will hunt him with the exploding salary cap.

I'm almost 99.9% sure KD is staying in OKC. I can only see him go to Washington or maybe even the Knicks. I just don't see him coming to us, especially because our team is probably still a couple of years away from giving him the "win now" argument.

I would think we might be better off going after second tier players from the get go, but leave enough room for a max contract in 2017, when Russell Westbrook and others will become free agents. I still see Russell Westbrook as a far more likely player to join us. But for that to happen, we need to have a team ready with proper role players and hopefully Randle/JC and DAR with enough games under their belt.

gcclaker likes this.
  2. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

I like demar derozan a lot too

3. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

^ I don't like Demar, especially for this team. He shoots a lot at a low percentage and is not a good 3-point shooter. We have Lou Williams and Nick Young to fill that role. I think Jordan Clarkson is better for the team anyway.

If I remember correctly, we have enough cap space for two max players. I would try to go for the grand slam and try to get Al Horford and Kevin Durant. I don't think either of them are going to leave as they both seem like they enjoy their current situations. However, I don't think there are enough good depth signings for us that is worth skipping out on these two free agents. And if we can retain Hibbert (I am not cap savvy enough to know), we should as Horford can then finally play his natural position at PF. So if my dreams come true, our team would look like this:

Russell/Williams
    Clarkson/J. Brown
    Durant/Young/A. Brown
    Horford/Randle/Nance
    Hibbert/Upshaw

Hibbert and Horford will be able to provide good interior defense. If we need to go small, move Horford to center and Randle to PF. And we get good scoring off the bench. We should also sign a backup PG with the exception. But I doubt this will be probable or even know if it is possible so this post might be a waste lol.

4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

We'll see if the FO has learned from its mistakes from the latest 3 offseasons

I agree with you Kb24 , we need to go after 2nd tier players to keep improving the roster in order to become attractive to big name players in 2017, 2018 and so on ...

The priority for next season should be signing 3 and D wings ... Nobody on our roster can defend the perimeter to save his life .

KD is Wizards bound unless OKC wins the title this season ...

5. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

If the Lakers somehow get to the playoffs I do believe Durant will want to come, because every guy on our roster will become MUCH better in his second/third year. and us reaching the playoffs means Kobe is without health problems, so Durant will want to make a gesture to his most loved player.

But if not, I do agree about searching for other SF. but I also have a feeling the Lakers will make the trades needed for Durant. I think they really really want him.

If not us, I like him in WAS. thats an attractive team, and in the east ;)

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    There are a few players worthy of pursuit. Mike Conley and Brandon Jennings, for instance, depending upon what happens with our team this year, but I do think that KD is the main event.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If Durant is available, you have to make a run. He's better than anyone else we've pitched besides the short conversation Mitch and John Black had with LeBron a couple years ago. Our team is tailor made for him, especially if Kobe actually retires.

The thing to watch for: apparently his foot injury is more concerning than the media has admitted thus far. Jones fractures are a big deal and his particular one has been worse than expected. Ireland said it'll be something to really watch for this summer if he's actually able to keep going. This is the kind of injury that can cut a career short.

Outside of him you go after DeRozan and Batum. Why would Conley or Horford want to be here?

The key is nailing down a guy first who really wants to be here, then getting the other guy to buy in after that. If you can wow Durant and grab him, then maybe you can also wow Noah or Conley or DeRozan. That's when the fun starts.

DoMinJoon, trodgers and ElginTheGreat like this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I don't know, but...32, 31, 35, and 35. Those are the ages the top players from Memphis (in terms of minutes played this past season) will be during the 2016-17 season - outside Conley.

Chillbongo and ElginTheGreat like this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

With so many teams having cap room next year I think it is crucial that we focus in on guys who we know have interest in us. The good thing is that we will be able to put the full court press on Durant and make offers to other guys at the same time. I think Durant either stays in OKC or heads back to DC. I could see us making a serious run at DeRozan, Noah, and/or Horford. Reuniting the old Gators teammates might actually work.

gcclaker and Chillbongo like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

It's tough to say. I agree with you but that Memphis team seems so tied to the city and each other. Still, another playoff disappointment might make Conley think about starting over with a new team.

trodgers likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Those might also be estimates of our win totals next year!

I'm not saying there's nothing here for them, but we just got snubbed a week ago by a guy that'll be in Conley's basic position. I think the key is going after one of the 27 year olds and then telling one of the older guys "see we're closer than you think!".

We're unlikely to get Durant, but if you don't then blitz DeRozan. I know a lot of people don't like him because he's a volume shooter, but he's better than nothing and he'd fill a need. Not to mention he'd be that crazy fit next to Clarkson and Randle on the fast break. We'd have to hope for big development out of Russell, but hey it's better than going into 2016 and getting nothing like we have the last few years.

trodgers and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

I don't mind DeRozan at all. I could actually see us getting him.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

DeRozan and a big guy like Noah, Horford, maybe even Al Jefferson would be a pretty good offseason to be honest especially with no draft pick.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Kobe's decision and Russell's/Randle's progression will largely determine our roster moving forward. We also need to evaluate how Hibbert played and decide if we want to keep him. After that we will likely resign Clarkson and Black. Then comes the free agents. We need to look at our record, our need, and see what free agents would likely be interested. In other words, it's too soon to talk about it IMO.

15. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Noah would be one of my top targets first if Hibbert doesn't pan out this year and want to resign. I would try to lock him down asap and go after Durant at the same time.

I love his energy, hustle, and defense and that would go perfect next to Randle up front.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I was discussing him at another forum; he shoots 27% from the 3-point line. He needs a respectable 3-ball. Although not the 'name', Batum is a guy that could 'fit' in a lot better here and require less money. I'd settle for DeRozan, though.

17. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

Apparently I am the only person not liking Demar. Can someone explain to me why we should go after him? To me, he is just another high volume scoring guard that can't shoot 3's. Assuming we still have Clarkson, Russell, Williams, Jabari Brown, and Young, who are all basically scorers with the exception of Russell as of now, I don't see the need for Derozan. He also hasn't exactly played well during the playoffs either. It also seems like Toronto doesn't really want him back as they drafted two guards in Delon Wright and Norman Powell and signed DeMarre Carroll and just seemingly overpaid Corey Joseph. Is he a great defender or something?

With that said, I don't know if we can get any of the top free agents here, but I agree with pursuing Batum even if he has another subpar year this upcoming season.

18. therealdeal

Clarkson and Black (and Jabari too) will all be RFAs I believe so we can wait on them until the end. I think their cap holds will probably still be fairly high though (near MLE mark).

tada likes this.
  19. therealdeal

I like Batum, but I'm not all that concerned about saving money honestly. We'll have money coming out of our ears. We'll likely have to overpay for a guy like Batum anyway.

He really struggled last season, but he's a solid SF when he's healthy. Doesn't do anything special, but can space the floor decently and is still pretty athletic. I prefer Derozan because he's got more flash to him, he's more athletic, but maybe not as smart. The thing is Derozan has been in Toronto his whole career where they needed him to be something he's not. He's really not a go-to scoring option. If he came here he'd definitely need an improved jumper, but otherwise I think he'd make a really fun addition with Russell, Clarkson, and Randle on the fast break.

Batum is more of a "know your role" kind of guy which is great.

I also don't want to write off Hibbert yet either. I think he has a chance to play himself into a role here long-term.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I prefer Batum as a role player. Don't want to max him out.

gcclaker, sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.