Rui Hachimura Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Jan 23, 2023.

1. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that the blurb is about Hachimura but the pic is of Reaves. Yeah, that cat is everywhere.

Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

60 million for 4 is reasonable for Rui

lakerjones and TIME like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Buha on Rui's next deal and what's the ceiling of our offer

Cookie, Panko, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Sam Quinn on Rui's next deal and who's ahead of him on the wing market, potentially costing him some money.

I think that's overly optimistic for us. I think he'll be under $20m, but think he's going to cost us closer to $17m than $14m.

Cookie, ElginTheGreat, Panko and 6 others like this.
  5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

It's a fair assessment in the article.

Recency bias is playing here. I'm at fault as well. Both on Dlo and Rui, although on opposite directions, playoff production is dictating their value, forgetting a full 82 games season just prior.
    Neither Dlo is a scrub because of a bad matchup (and indeed repetitive flopping in postseason) nor Rui is a borderline all-star. Let's see how much is spend in each and see what factored in the most.

The forward market analysis is also interesting. It's good to remember that only 7-10 teams are projected to have cap space.
    So a team that goes to a Middleton, Harden, Vleet, Kuz and so on, won't go for Dlo and Rui.

Lately, I think Rui prefers 15 million here than 18 in Detroit

TIME, Barnstable, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Well the difference is DLO was never a $30m player. He was intentionally overpaid to maintain a salary slot strictly for the purpose of a trade. It was in no way, shape or form indicative of his play.

DLO showed he was DLO. Built for 82 and not 16. There's value in that but his true value of much more in line with someone like Rozier at $23m than even Brunson at $26m.

I think Rui entered the playoffs fitting in the MLE slot with the team having some MLE pocket change left over. In the playoffs he showed that he can start and close in the playoffs. If you can start on that stage, you're going to get paid like a starting SF (Larsuel confirmed he's seen as a starter by NBA teams).

There are 33 forwards making $17m plus next season. So that's essentially your baseline for a starting forward.

Barnstable, Weezy, Toklat and 8 others like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

rob got kcp and kuz to 3/40 after similar production/value, imo. adjust for cap inflation, and that's 3/50 or 4/60-65.

i hope the lakers offer 3/50 to try and skip the RFA song and dance.

Barnstable, Panko and JSM like this.
  8. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Did he show that he can start and close? He only started one game and that wasn’t a very good performance from him. He was effective in the first three games against Memphis and then the first two games against Denver.

I think we are viewing him through the lens of recency bias a little bit. He played some decent post defence and when his shot was falling he was effective. But he got played off the floor against Golden State and got target a bit by Denver and Jokic in the last two games and played a bit outta control on the offensive end.

I’d love him back, but hopefully it’s closer to $15m per than $20m.

Panko, Khmrp, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

C'mon man, Brunson is a max player, his contract is a steal.

I love Rui, want him back and have high hopes on him. But let's get real:

He played 16 games this postseason.
    Scored double figures in only 8 games.
    Against Memphis he averaged 14.5/4.7 without any other stat over 1 in 26 minutes. Last 3 games of that series he averaged 7/4.
    Against Warriors he averaged 8/2.5 in 17 minutes. He had a game with 21/5. Other 5 games he averaged 5/2.
    Against Denver he got up to 34 minutes avg. He averaged 15/4. No other meaningful stat.

He has potential and you pay for that too. But he literally was a factor for half of the postseason, where it's claimed it was his breakout period

TIME, Panko, Khmrp and 1 other person like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, people harp on vando being unplayable, but rui was unplayable for the same portion of time in the playoffs, imo. and helped us win the same amount of games (maybe 2 each).

i'm encouraged by quinn's speculation that the market for forwards has rui on the lower end. it makes sense to me. still worried about indy trying to screw us. they could use him, they hate us, and they have money to burn.

TIME, alam1108, Panko and 2 others like this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I doomed Rui’s tenure here by excitedly buying his jersey two days after the trade. Smh the previous jersey I bought were Dwight Howard, Nash, DLo and Lonzo, all gone afterwards

TIME and abeer3 like this.
  12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Return and refund?

Abdul-Jabbar scoring on Lohaus SMH...

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Scotto and Buha on Rui's free agency and his likely price point

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

He was trusted to close games at this level. If you can close playoff games, you can start. If you don't, it's because of roster politics. After his DNP, he answered the call to do more in terms of attention to rebounding, boxing out and most importantly playing defense. He's not going to make it to any all defensive teams, but he's playing hard enough and staying engaged enough on that end not to get played off the court.

We'll see what we bring in this off season, but his biggest value on defense is he's most physical member of the supporting cast and the only one (of our forwards and bigs) from that bunch that could put a body on someone and that player actually notice. Offensively, I trusted him to get a bucket more than anyone on the roster not named Austin Reaves. The shot is smooth and he can create for himself at a quality level. Obviously that changes when DLO is back into regular season mode and AD and Bron are healthy, but being able to rely on him to that extent is big time.

Malone countered better and Ham didn't. I think Rui was trying to work it out on the court, especially in Game 4. It didn't help that Gordon had the game of his playoff life and could do no wrong out there.

Regarding getting played off the court vs GS. No other team can do that because no other team has that level of shooting from Keebler Elves.

If you're giving me 15&5 ish, competing defensively and giving us size around the paint when the ball is in the air so AD can actually go get the rebound then we're good. I don't need assists and blocks. He models his game after Melo. HE'S NOT MELO, but Melo didn't exactly fill up the stat sheet in those other areas either.

Like I said to svtzr, against GS isn't a good indicator of anyone who's tall enough to ride all the rides at Six Flags because their HOF shooting allows them to play small.

15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

The thing about Rui and all the players we added this was just a sneak peek into what next season will be like with an off-season, training camp and pre-season games to get ready. They will all look better and be better. I'm not down on any of them. I think even Beasley will recover his touch. Rui knows what is role is now and can prepare accordingly. Ham will review his coaching over the off-season and come back better as well (fingers crossed). The reason I like the Rui, Austin, Max trio with Lebron and AD is they all three can score from all levels and all three can play defense. The AD doubling will stop and Rui has the big body we need. Now if we can just land Jett to give Rui a breather now and then we are set.

16. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

He's young, has a potentially great midrange game. As long as he doesn't ask for some crazy contract, keep him.

Panko likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Rui hops on around the 17 minute marker. Free agency comes up at the 24 minute marker

19. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I agree with most of this except for the Dillon Brooks thought. He was absolutely trash for Memphis during their short playoff run and does an awful impression of Pat Bev on defense. I just don’t see why any GM, if given the option between Rui and Dillon would choose the dude who just choked on the big stage over a guy who played well for a team that went to the WCF.

Panko, Cookie, sirronstuff and 2 others like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

On Rui's free agency and price range