Rob Pelinka Discussion: He's Scrambling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by OmarE, Feb 21, 2017.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my point was the lack of wing defenders was an unsolvable issue with our resources after the russ trade. rob then pulled one of the league's best wing defenders in the second russ trade. i don't think it's that he didn't know it was a problem.

and i've harped as much as anyone about not having a big strong 5. that said, i don't think that changes our season one bit. it lowers our ceiling, but we haven't approached that in any way, so it's sort of moot.

right. but we're not that, and that's on ownership, not rob pelinka. firing rob just means finding the next guy that rambis plays golf with or something.

Juronimo and Cookie like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

The next great executive is out there. We just have to actually conduct a proper search using a real search firm and find them.

There's no way there isn't a qualified guy (or gal, I truly do not care as long as they are the top candidate) who would jump at the chance to be the person to turn this franchise into what it could be.

Juronimo and abeer3 like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

do we know that bob myers is actually better than pelinka, btw? i'm serious. if you switched them, would the outcomes for each team have differed? i'm not sure about that.

4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Its a tricky question. We have to be fair here and acknowledge how decisions are made in the team and how many cooks there are in the kitchen. Rob isn't some figurehead but certainly there are a number of people who have input on decisions.

My understanding is that a guy like Myers has good relationships around the league and is generally well respected. Connections are vital for a GM and we consistently hear (heavy emphasis on hear) that Rob doesn't have the best relationship with folks around the league. So I lean toward him.

When we first made the move to oust Jim/Mitch I wanted a guy like him as this is just a big job and I thought we needed an experienced guy who could hit the ground running.

But would we have just handed him the keys and gotten out of the way? Probably not so there's a chance we still end up where we are now.

abeer3 and Pioneer10 like this.
  5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

As elgin said hard to know: reporting on him taking JHS over the well regarded scouting department and the handling of Vogel and hiring of Ham though point more directly at him.

I do think he should get credit for the Bubble team was awesome. And I thought the post bubble was setup well. Just after the Westbrook trade everything has been meh.

I would say the biggest thing about getting a guy like Myers - you make this more into a business and not family. This nepotism stuff does seem to be really hindering the Lakers

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. does bob myers get to do what he wants here?

if rob didn't work for the lakers, might he have more friends? again, i'm serious. it's a laker tax, not a pelinka tax, imo.

i don't think think a new gm without a new owner does much for us, tbh. rambis, tim harris, etc. will always be involved, as will our financial limitations relative to other teams.

ElginTheGreat and Cookie like this.
  7. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Indiana is going to have to do something with Turner. Haliburton's salary bumps up to 35M next season, and Siakam is unrestricted, will be looking for 40M this summer. Turner is on an expiring 20M deal next season, I seriously doubt the small market Pacers, are going to invest 100M on 3 players. Plus Jalen Smith is progressing nicely this season, I think Myles is going to get squeezed out there.

Perfect complement for AD IMO. and he can man the middle on his own without AD.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

indy doesn't have payroll issues, imo. they can easily afford to pay siakam and toppin and kick the can to next year. won't even hit the luxury tax.

more likely they s&t smith for picks, imo. but they can afford to pay him over mle, too.

they're actually in pretty good financial shape.

JSM and Kenzo like this.
  9. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

I don't understand why he didn't target a bigger center. I mean watch how Jokic struggles against Zubac and Nurkic when he plays against the Clippers and Suns. Obviously we couldn't afford a center of that caliber but it would be nice to get a 7ft+ 250lb+ big to body him a bit. Rui and Lebron have no chance against him..

Kenzo, abeer3, pika1708 and 3 others like this.
  10. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah, I blame Rob on that too. Beat that drum all offseason, was clearly our biggest flaw and Denver is the team to beat. We could even have signed someone just for this matchup.
    It will become even more obvious after we are eliminated by them 2 years in a row

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we all asked for a legit big body in the offseason and got wood/hayes instead.

in classic rob fashion, we'll trade for steven adams and jonas valanciunas next year and get killed by smallball teams, lol.

sirronstuff and Kenzo like this.
  12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Touchy subject. I wanted to get rid of one of these perimeter guys, in exchange for a legit starting caliber 5. Not some vet minimum pickup. However we chose to basically stand pat, and run it back. This is what most folks wanted too.

If AD is giving me 32/14/5 and 4 blks. Jokic isn't the problem, it's still Murray. If you can't contain him, you gotta at least score and keep pace.

If Austin, D'Angelo and Rui, are the future here, moving forward with AD, post Lebron, now is the time to show and prove.

We just need these guys, to do their jobs, none of them have to be the hero. Since we didn't make a trade, I'm not sure what else, Rob was supposed to be able to do TBH.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

He and Ham can leave together for all I care

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Here's what concerns me is he has (twisted and wrong) logic to back both his plays this summer. We know how this is going to go...

1) keep Ham. We lost to the defending Champs.They'll also either win or again or make it to the finals and lose to Boston.
    2) 3rd star. Our role players didn't show up in the series, felt we had to get a more impactful player to give Bron and AD the best chance to contend for a title.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Weezy likes this.
  15. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Rob getting karma for handing Frank Vogel the most hotdog water roster ever and firing him for not making it work.

LTLakerFan, abeer3 and Juronimo like this.
  16. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

So many people here including myself were wanting a bigger center. Pelinka is obsessed with small guards that can't shoot.

mid level - Vincent, 17th pick - JHS

We already have Max who can step in for them as well. Just wasting assets on these bum a** guards. Season is done. I guess we're gonna give this AD/Bron thing 1 more year. Lemme guess, we're gonna trade everything for Trae Young now as if his foul baiting won't get exposed in the playoffs here.

FrontOfJersey22 and Weezy like this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

rob time should come to an end with ham

wcsoldier81 likes this.
  18. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

With Jeanie running things? We need a new owner but that won't happen during my lifetime...

19. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Time to go

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he ain't out there missing wide open shots after shooting 40% from three for the season.