RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by The Showtime Mamba, Apr 21, 2016.

1. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

This year my favourite singer visited my home country of New Zealand for the first time. As my favourite singer I had to go.

Sadly now he has unexpectedly passed away. Having lost David Bowie my favourite singer in Janurary, it is sad to say the least. On top of that my favourite basketball player Kobe Bryant finished with that one last magnificent game.

While none of these equate to family tragedies, it is still a sadness, and a feeling that the loss of creative public figures is a loss to the world in terms of talent.

At least Kobe can give back to his wife, children and self after this all consuming career.

This is a tribute to my favourite singer who as Chapelle has memed into the collective unconscious played a pretty mean game of b ball.

gcclaker, Barnstable and Weezy like this.
  2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm not personally a fan of Prince's music other than a few songs, it just isn't my taste, but that being the case I still realize he's a musical genius. Insanely talented, played a ridiculous amount of instruments, and the one thing I did appreciate from his music was his guitar playing. Simply incredible, doesn't get talked about enough. 57 is way too young, RIP to a music and pop culture legend, even not being a big fan I know the impact he made on so many who grew up with his music.

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Prince was a musician who could play a variety of instruments but yes he was a really good guitar player. There was a Rock And Roll Hall of Fame segment where he did the solo on a ensemble cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it was well done. Think I'll spin my vinyl copy of "Purple Rain" tonight in homage...

4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Genius. Plain and simple. His catalog of music rivals anyone.

I found out today he wrote "Manic Monday" and "I Feel For You".

Too many great songs to pick a favorite.

RIP

5. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I was never a huge Prince fan and I won't pretend to be in his death. Still, I absolutely respected the man. He made some incredible music and was absolutely a pioneer in the industry. I also respected his ability to perform even if I wasn't a huge fan of his songs. He would also do great covers of other bands so that he played a wide spectrum of music to make sure his audience got something unique to him, but still a wide musical net. He was a great artist and certainly he died too young.

So many music legends already gone this year...

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Too many people gone this year.

That Superbowl halftime show in the rain will always be one of my favorites.

RIP Prince.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.