Report: Lakers Not Picking Up Option For Jordan Hill And Looking To Trade Robert Sacre

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, May 24, 2015.

1. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

http://la.suntimes.com/los-angeles-lakers/7/88/260547/lakers-jordan-hill-robert-sacre-free-agency

I wonder if the Raptors want him or the Cavs still interested in trading for him.

2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    No trade value considering he can be picked up for cheap if he is released. Why pay 9 when he can be had for 3M.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  3. lol

lol - Rookie -

duh. good as a back up and for cheap. but sure as hell not at that price.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Good. I like Sacre as a cheerleader, but he's reached his ceiling. Time to move on. We can improve in the draft or free agency for a new 3rd string C. Wonder if this means we'll try attaching him with one of our later picks to move up.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much what I was thinking. Give Hill, Sacre, #27 for #15 and maybe a 2nd rounder too?

What are the odds Atlanta finds a player as good as Hill right now in the draft at 15? Sure he's on the expensive side, but it might be worth it to have a backup big man that's worth a crap.

6. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    It looks like Mitch has explored all options for a sign and trade for Hill and come up with zip. Announcing they are not picking up his option is the indicator of that. Sacre has more trade value with his dirt cheap contract.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Toronto is an interesting option. After the way they collapsed in the playoffs, there's been talk of blowing it up starting with Lowry. We could offer a decent package of young players with Black, Sacre, #27, S&T Lin(huge Chinese population in Toronto), Hill(to 3rd team for more rebuilding pieces now or at the deadline). We have cheap contracts like Kelly, Brown, Blue if they want more young pieces for their rebuild. I like Lowry at 12M a lot more than Dragic for a crazy amount, Rondo at any price, Mo for 5 mil. Pretty much any of the options available to us. We'd still have around 12M in cap space after this trade. Seems like I'm adding this to every post I make, but we could create extra space to add FA's by dumping Young and/or Kelly. Someone will give up a 2nd rounder for a still young Kelly who is already a rotation player on a cheap contract. With the way FA's are expected to get paid this summer with the salary cap ballooning next year, Young at 5M is going to be valuable to teams that need to add a wing to play 30 MPG but don't want to pay Danny Green & similar FA's 12M or more. Dumping both of them would leave us with roughly 19M to spend on FA's, meaning we could afford to give a max contract to both tier 1(15.8M - Butler, Middleton, Harris, Monroe, etc) & tier 2(18.9M - Love, LMA, Gasol, Jordan etc.).

8. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Lakers are doing Sacre a favor. Someone will probably sign him for a season and give him an opportunity to work his way into a career or it'll end there.

J Hill..... Not worth the money, but he'll definitely find a spot somewhere. He's not horrible, but has flaws and I doubt he gets better.

Lakers are smart to cut bait with both.

9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

^

I agree.

10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Young needs to be included in this, too. We need to shop Sacre and Young together with our 2 later draft picks; their salaries are a little over 6 million bucks. I don't care if you salary dump Young and Sacre or attempt to trade for a wing that's a better fit for us. Even you salary dump both of them, you could create additional cap space to go after a wing in free agency.

11. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I think Young can thrive with us... We just need a decent starting 5. We get that, with young coming off that bench with tons of scoring and having a decent bench, we can do some damage. I'm not all for letting young go just yet. That contract he has is a bargain considering the production he gives us. He had one good year and one bad. He deserves another shot.

Winning cures everything. If we lose young, I think we'll regret it.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  12. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I like Nick..... assuming he's coming off the bench and giving instant offense. If you're expecting him to play major minutes and play defense, he's not your guy.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

There's a 75-80% shot he doesn't finish his contract with the Lakers. I just don't think he and Scott are ever going to get along. Gt
    Quoting myself. Mistake on Sacre. His salary for next year is 981k, and if LA dumps him, they still have a minimum cap hold of 525k, so they free up only a bit over 450k

14. therealdeal

But that 450K is something we could use. I haven't been using Rob in any of my estimations on team salary. I'd be surprised if we kept him.

I love Rob, but unless he's playing for the minimum he's not worth it. We now have Randle, Black, and Kelly who are all better than him. If we draft a big that's another one. Then we can either bring in another talented veteran or bring back a guy like Davis. We'll be five deep at the position with no need for Rob.

15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    This is one of those cases where salary minimums really hurt players. Sacre's career might be over because he either has to make X money or be unemployed. Sacre at about twice a rookie FA just isn't worth it for many teams in terms of $.

Vet Minimum for 2016-17 season, X = years service
    x = 0, $543K
    x = 1, $874k
    x = 2, $980k
    x = 3, $1.02M
    x = 4, $1.05M

I think it would be good if minimum contracts didn't count against cap space.

TIME, Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  16. therealdeal

That's a great point. I didn't even realize that his minimum was almost 1 million dollars... That's way too much for him. If I can get Dakari Johnson late in the 2nd round and get roughly the same production, why would I pay that much for Rob?

TIME likes this.
  17. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I realized I put 2016/17. Oops, but it's not too different for this season. I'm with you, Real.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah i like hill but he's just way too expensive to keep around

sacre on the other hand does not belong in the NBA and is annoying anyways. i'll be glad to finally see him go

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The league already has something set up for this problem....