The Lakers' Search For A New Head Coach

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Yes, I know it's preliminary, but I think it's just a matter of hours/days before this "gump" (shoutout to The Wire) is fired and we can move on from him.

I've heard mentions in the "Ham" thread about who you guys want; let's just make it a thread. Moderators: if it's too early, just lock it up, obviously.

Let the search begin.

FYI: Chat GPT made the Title. LOL.

2. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

no one currently unemployed would be a major upgrade except maybe Stotts as at least he is experienced.

in my opinion, we should wait until the end of the playoffs and possibly some currently employed coaches to be fired.

last time we missed out on Quin Snyder, because he was fired a couple of days too late in our hiring process.

3. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

We'll have a person nailed down before the draft, right?

Draft is like very late June.

4. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I've warmed up a bit to the idea of just promoting Handy. The players like him and I actually would like to keep some continuity in terms of our offensive sets. They ended up being pretty good by the end of the year.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I have a super gut feeling based on a lot of things factual plus let him choose his own staff and skills coach(s). Handy is the ONE. Ask him what unemployed ex HC to bring in if the organization wants it. Ham was an emotions coach with not the great objective perspective and rubber meets the road player evaluation talent that Handy is a STAR at the top of his profession with ALSO the common sense of knowing younger players need to be nurtured and developed. He would be well aware of best people he knows in his limitless contacts around the league who best to bring in. Let him handle these last years of LeBron and scheme together even. I’m sure there’s mutual respect for each other’s knowledge and observational talents. Bring in Rondo if at all possible too. I would be over the moon ecstatic about him being the guy. Not to mention would not be surprised if not given serious consideration and respect this time he might very well say eff it I’m out of here.

Toklat likes this.
  6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Let the Handy/Rondo era begin!

ZenMaster, Chillbongo and Toklat like this.
  7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t trust our FO to hire a good equipment manager, so as far as the coaching search goes I’m concerned to say the least. We have no vision at the top, it’s always a former Laker, a previously successful coach that can’t hack it here, or the wrong assistant. We don’t seem to have the ability to find a G-League gem, or that genius right hand man to a top NBA coach. We’ll probably end up hiring someone like Mike Budenholzer, Terry Stotts, Kenny Atkinson, etc.

trodgers, LA Bron, 432J and 1 other person like this.
  8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

do not want handy as HC, or any other rookie HC for that matter

hoping either snyder or lue end up available. no one else intrigues me at all

9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Does Handy even have a reputation of having a HC mind/mentality?

We know he’s a great developmental coach and well regarded amongst the players, but I’ve literally heard nothing about his ability as an offensive or defensive mind.

Anyone actually read an article or seen a tweet where his offensive or defensive acumen sounds good?

pika1708, Chillbongo and SamsonMiodek like this.
  10. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Phil has never even sat in the lead assistant chair. HC? Based off of what body of work? Player development?

Chillbongo likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

based on the fact that at this point, i'd consider the lakers head coaching a position an undesirable job. you have sky-high expectations and work with less than other teams do. excellent chance you'll be fired, even a year removed from winning a ring.

i'd rather coach charlotte for the same money with zero expectations, wouldn't you?

12. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I'm also curious who gets let go this go around. Might be some names available we are note thinking of.

I'd prefer an experienced guy this go around. Last time I believe Atkinson was a finalist so he's a name I would be interested in.

I'd also like to see Rondo get a shot on whatever staff we assemble. Just a great basketball mind that I think could help us.

Beyond just X's and O's, I think we need a guy who has a better feel for the game. Ham had issues knowing when to call time out and when to make substitutions. We need someone who is good at those aspects as well particularly when they are managing an aging LeBron and guys with long injury histories like AD.

Chillbongo and lakerjones like this.
  13. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I used to be in favor of a quality assistant coach who is ready to step up, but obviously the Lakers job is not well suited to those guys. I admit my mistake and am now almost 100% convinced we need to get a more experienced guy. Rondo as an assistant coach? Yes, please.

Chillbongo likes this.
  14. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

not a fan of Handy getting the job personally, if he doesn't work out, we lose one of the best developmental coaches in the game, as he probably won't accept getting demoted, after getting promoted.

15. Slick2021

No..because it's the Lakers job..coaches get fired frequently, it's the NBA. The last run of Lebron James,is going to be a circus. I'd want to be part of that myself, no job is really a safe bet in this league, besides maybe Detroit.

On the coaching thing in general, there haven't been repeat Conference Champions, since GS and Clev. This means that there is definitely, more than one way to get it done. It's not the same coaches every year.

16. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

As LT stated, if he gets overlooked again we likely lose him anyway. Handy might be the only coach in the NBA to actually stand up to LeBron and coach. That alone would make him the best man for the job. The LA LeBrons need to turned back into the Lakers.

17. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Great point

18. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

We need an experienced coach. AD and Bron are vets, and can’t have more chops than the coach. I’d love Rondo on our coaching staff, but not as head coach. Handy should remain in his role and do what he does best. The skills do not necessarily transfer to head coach and the tasks are very different.

Personally I wouldn’t mind Mike Budenholzer. He won a championship with 1 star. And that team had a defensive prowess. Does he get me excited, hell no. Watching his interviews make me cringe. But he’s a damn good coach and more ready to take this job than many coaches out there. He knows this is crazy town though and probably wouldn’t touch it. Maybe we’re stuck with young upstarts after all..

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  19. Slick2021

I liked the way Bud used 3 bigs in Milwaukee, Ham was his lead assistant. I thought that we were going to employ, a similar strategy here, we went for more guards instead.

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

It ended way too poorly here with Ham but the funniest thing ever would be to bring on Bud as HC and he hires Ham as his lead assistant
    :LLLLLebronlaughing:

Chillbongo and FrontOfJersey22 like this.