Optimism Discussion: The Laker's Sky Is Not Falling

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Jun 20, 2016.

1. King3

King3 - Rookie -

I don't know. I just ask a question. Jeez. Just a question turns into an argument.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not an argument, jeez. I just responded not to your question but to your statement, “We have to find shooters who don’t succumb to the LA pressure.”

:Fishwink:

BTW, also directed at others as well here finding fault with Rob’s attempts to do just that. Bring guys to LA to hopefully solve our shooting problems, who clearly have been successful shooting elsewhere. Maybe he needs to start writing in some kind of give back clauses for LA shooting suckage.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my argument is not to worry about shooting. pretty much all of our signings that involve upgrading shooting have failed. this is a long-time trend, spanning a few separate eras, really.

so embrace it and just find good, smart basketball players and hope they shoot it well enough. i feel like we've had more success with guys that aren't expected to be shooters (like caruso, for example) making shots that you can get when you play with stars of lebron and AD's magnitude.

i'm not suggesting going "full magic" and fielding a roster of known poor shooters, but just not worrying too much about it. green and bullock were the nails in the coffin for me, whereas kcp came to us as a "meh" shooter and has been better with us than with detroit.

gotta imagine there's a formula here--that you can scout the kinds of shots that people take and make and map it onto what's likely in our system.

King3, LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

5. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

I think we have a shot with Lebron and a big bench rotation. Everyone on the roster has proven they can play top 5 defense. Guys like Morris and Kuz are due for some offense and we have the minutes for them.

lakerjones likes this.
  6. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Problem isn't the defense. Its the 5 min droughts once or twice a game where they don't score a damn field goal. And it's consistent all year long.

Imagine 5 min droughts twice a game. Basically for an entire quarter, they aren't scoring a field goal. Can't win that way.

D-Fish Man, abeer3, Khmrp and 2 others like this.
  7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I am suddenly much more optimistic about my cardiovascular health, knowing that my heart won’t have to deal with the stress of playoff basketball for much longer.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

At least none of our free agents are driving their price up this post season.

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i said that yesterday. also, fans won't be suicidal when schroder walks for nothing (which is also becoming more likely as his list of suitors dwindles). we can just elevate caruso and THT's roles, see if wes will stay on as the starter/placeholder at the sg spot, and try to find/develop another guard like we did with AC. or we could pursue a vet like lou williams to play 15mpg while lebron sits.

also solves some money problems that the press keeps harping about.

lakerjones, Cookie and karacha like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

Nah can’t do that. The same person who was banging on everyone in Game Time last night while the Lakers and our season hopes were going up in flames .... to agree with him on his idea to trade “always injured”, “can’t build around after Bron” Anthony Davis for Damian Lillard, and who if he has any balls will now take that trade idea to the whole forum .... also in a snit stated that both AC and THT shouldn’t be paid $1.00 next year.

11. LakersKing82

LakersKing82 - Rookie -

Hello I'm new to LB!

Just wanted to say unfortunately it sure looks like we might be headed to an early exit this season but as a life long Fan of the Lakers of 30+ years the sun will shine on us again sooner or later.
    An fwiw that's not me trying to be overly cocky it's just the way it goes for us in Lakers land. We are truly blessed.

I'm really sad that some so called Lakers fans are already jumping off the wagon. I know I shouldn't have been that surprised as its happen time and time again. I just forgot that feeling of losing the fair weather fans so dramatically because before Lebron and AD blessed us with #17 we went through 7-8 years at the bottom of the league.

I have 1000% faith that a healthy and well rested 36 year old Lebron and a 28 year old AD will still be a problem and still a legit title contender with a revamped new roster around them for next season.

Sorry for the long novel I wrote but just wanted to say I love the site and I hope to have some fun discussing our Lakers with you all.

12. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Welcome to Lakersball @LakersKings82. Just FYI, calling out other Laker fans about jumping off the wagon might not be the best first introductory post but hope you stick around this summer and see if Rob has any big trades for our squad.

abeer3, SamsonMiodek, tada and 3 others like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Hello and welcome!!

LakersKing82 likes this.
  14. LakersKing82

LakersKing82 - Rookie -

You are 100% right as I've learned from my mistakes from other Lakers Forums that not all members are Lakers fans or die hards like some of us and that's totally their right to chose that level of fanship.
    An fwiw it's not my intention to put them on blast just that I was a little bummed but that's the way it goes for us fans.

As for Rob I don't see him taking this offseason lightly.
    I'm not totally sure if I'm ready to give up on Dennis quite yet.
    Sure his asking price of 25-30 million a season is ridiculous but if he would be willing to accept our original offer I might still be okay retaining him.

Alex is a MUST! We have his bird rights and the reports of us having a good chance of keeping him because he loves Lebron makes me confident. Just worried about the Mavericks or Spurs offering him alot of money. An of course him being from Texas factor.

50/50 on Andre Drummond. Sure he's not going to be the dominant big we hoped but he still can contribute to winning basketball if the entire squad can remain healthy.

Kuzma is a tough one. Sure he's born and bred Lakers purple and gold but he might want a fresh start somewhere else. As he's been seeing his other younger star buddies thrive so well outside of LALA land. We better get something good for him.

15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’m a big Alex fan and believe we will keep him unless another team offers some outrageous contract. You’ll fit in here fine, just argue the merits of a post and not the poster himself.

16. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    I don't post much here but something I thought of when the Lakers crawled into the playoffs came back to mind after the last loss.

This season and this team reminds me of the 2014 LA Kings. When we dropped to the play-in game I said to myself they are going to go the way the LA Kings did to win their 2nd Cup. For those who don't know the Kings finished the season in 6th place, limped into the playoffs then went 7 games in all of the first three rounds to include some amazing overtime games then beat the breaks off the Eastern Conference Champs. That team was great at times, horrible at times and confounding most of the time. Watching that playoffs took a few years off my life. This Lakers team felt that same way.

So Im going to go ahead and put it out there and say that these boys aren't going out in the first round they are going out with number 18. This is Hollywood and this is how we write a sequel. Now, lets see if I'm right.

TIME, tada, abeer3 and 8 others like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Seems utterly impossible at this point but man that would be the stuff of legends ... one for the ages.

TIME likes this.
  18. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Welcome! I’ll admit that while it’s rare for me to call things over before it’s over, I still sometimes do. Whoops!

In this case it’s so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, even great teams get blown out by 30 once in a while in the playoffs. But we are not a great team at all without AD.

“At the end of the day,” it’s not over til it’s over. Would be a dream for AD to come back healthy and we win out the last two vs Phoenix. Don’t want to lose against punks. If the Jazz destroy us, no big deal. AD please get healthy!

TIME and Cookie like this.
  19. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Can't be impossible because they aren't eliminated. I think of 4th qtr against Portland where we make that comeback and start our domination. I think of "Kobe passed me the ball" Ron Artest (please don't let him shoot) 3 pointer and Sasha "ice cold" sinking 2 free throws. They can def lose but I am an optimist and still believe pound for pound we are the best team. Would I be shocked if we lost? No, we all see the team isn't playing its best ball. That being said we still have our best ball to play. I'm hopeful that backs against the wall makes us do that and we show why we aren't done yet.

20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I agree with puffy (btw great to see you post in here again!). Optimism - we aren't eliminated. Win one tonight and let's see what's what in a game 7.