OKC Thunder To Pursue Bronny James

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by sirronstuff, Apr 30, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    This is making the rounds everywhere I look

Nightmare scenario for us. OKC has (3) first round picks in 2024 and (4) first round picks in 2025.
    https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/thunder/21/draft-picks

Their salaries for next year are sitting at ONLY 103 million.

4B60D077-C664-4B77-9D8C-7C18673722D2.jpeg

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom...y, the NBA,campaign's $136 million salary cap.

They literally could sign LeBron out right and give him a three-year max deal while burning a first round draft pick on Bronny.

They are already a contender with a bright future, and Gordon Hayward is an expiring contract and will need to be replaced.

You have a coach of the year and a great training ground for an aspiring young player to learn.

LeBron would have an opportunity to win a championship with a record fourth different team, play with his son, have a good coach, a great supporting cast, and be able to keep his minutes in check.

he gone

2. sirronstuff

OK, apparently the insider that posted this information took it down after mentioning distraction during their playoff run, etc.

Who knows if it is legit, but the numbers are there, and they are pretty staggering if they choose to pursue it

3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Sign and trade LBJ for some of the young players and lotsa draft picks

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

This is LeBron James we're talking about, he is not going to finish his career in Oklahoma City.

The only real threat I see out there is the Knicks. There was that random meeting between Rich Paul and Leon Rose in February and they apparently buried the hatchet after a decade long cold war between Klutch and CAA. Why would this happen now, 14 years later? They're kind of the perfect team for LeBron at this stage of his career. Huge market, but desperate for a championship. Easy to swap LeBron in for Randle. Primary ballhandler in Robinson. A bunch of two-way, high-energy role players that will do all the dirty work stuff so LeBron doesn't have to.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/02/sport...ith-klutch-after-leon-rose-rich-paul-meeting/

ElginTheGreat, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  5. sirronstuff

I’d be on board for that, but in reality, it’s not needed if they can sign him outright for max dollars or near max dollars.

but with seven first round draft picks in the next two years, they have a serious ability to add prime talent to an already solid squad.

6. sirronstuff

That’s not a bad fit either, but I have a feeling BRon would have a hard time playing for that coach.

but at least we would have to do a sign and trade, and could get some thing back for him versus lose him for nothing. I have not researched their draft pick situation over in New York.

but I’m going to have to say I disagree on the OKC situation. It might be a small market team, but you are talking about the opportunity to extend a legacy even further. They are simply better than New York at this point, and with more assets.

sk2408 likes this.
  7. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

They've got a bunch of just okay picks, nothing super juicy if I remember correctly.

8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

if bronny lands elsewhere and lebron is set on playing with him, then you trade him for a haul

simple as

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

okc would be wise to use the pick on something better even if it's really to pull bron.....bronny is like thanasis to Greek, hes not an nba player but will get seat on bench because of the last name

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I hope they do, if we waste a pick on this kid, who needs at least another year of college, if not 3, we are not managing our assets well. 2nd round picks can be valuable, hell Jokic was a 2nd rounder.

Cookie, VincePT and abeer3 like this.
  11. sirronstuff

Lebron can opt out and sign straight up though

Simple as.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lebron is set to make well over 50 million here next year. he'd have to sign for 38 to walk into their space.

also, once again: don't throw me in that briar patch. if lebron wants to leave to win another ring somewhere, i'm fine granting it. as others have said, if he wants his money, teams will have to trade us something to get him. and he most definitely wants his money.

as i've already outlined, if he was willing to take a pay cut, he could it here and we could build a better roster around him. i do not believe he is.

and i'm still going to laugh at the team that burns a 1st on bronny james in a gambit to get him to sign for less with them.

edit: btw, philly has only embiid on the books this summer, and maxey's cap hold is small due to his draft position. they could sign lebron outright and sign a couple other folks prior to re-upping maxey on a huge deal. that's a bigger threat than okc, as lebron has admitted strongly considering playing there before.

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I think Lebron has already pretty much backed off, of the him and Bronny playing together thing. Most recent stuff I saw, was him saying, that he just wanted Bronny to go somewhere, where he would be developed properly.

I mean..Phil Handy, is the guru of player development. He's known Bronny since he was a kid. Idk..maybe James is thinking about that total circus, his son would be in, if he was picked up by the Lakers. It might be giving him some pause.

You already know, that Jeanie is going to do whatever, to keep Lebron. That man made her, the 1st Female owner to win a NBA chip. In a season where we lost Kobe tragically. She might even fire Rob for Lebron.

14. sirronstuff

If that's correct, then he can sign for 38x3 years for another 114 mill. Not sure he's willing to give up any bag, but maybe in this scenario he would.

15. Slick2021

You too Sirron? If you were Tatum, Embiid, Luka Giannis..whoever. What would you think about that? If they asked Lebron to take a paycut, why not me? Those guys probably won't be blessed, to still be a high end player at 39. Lebron is not the normal human being, stuff hits a bit differently involving him. A Billionaire still playing the game. It's the principle of the thing, he hasn't been hurting for cash in a decade.

sirronstuff likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

Well, if you KNOW you need to take a declining load over the next couple of years, and you want to be the first player with championships with 4 different franchises, maybe it makes him consider that. He's pushing 40 and a billionaire.

At some point other things matter more than money. Playing with your son? Maybe two of them? It would be unprecedented. So would his sons getting caught tipping cows.

Slick2021 likes this.
  17. Slick2021

Lol..dang dude..hit me with my edited post..lol.
    He keeps taking about laying the foundation for the future generations tho..giving up cash isn't a good model. Even though, personally it could benefit him.

Remember when Barkley and Ewing etc was pissed with MJ, for taking less then he was worth from the Bulls? It wasn't about his endorsement deals, he kept the salary ceiling lower, on all the other players by doing that. It's rather interesting, that once he started demanding 30M per, they promptly decided to beak up the Bulls

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure why this is a thread, btw. it can go in the lebron thread, as i hardly think the OP carries the weight sirron is giving it. which i think is in jest anyway.

19. sirronstuff

[​IMG]

I find this to be a very plausible scenario. But I also think it was in poor taste to release this when your team is in the middle of a successful playoff run. But dang, they are built for NOW and for the FUTURE. It's an attractive option if he can live with giving up a little dough in his 40's.

abeer3 likes this.