Member with some Computer Knowledge

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davriver209, Apr 14, 2016.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Hey guys, So I have a custom PC that a friend built and sold to me. it performs well and plays some pretty demanding games. Thing is, my C drive has only 60 GB of space, and it appears to be full. When i try to download certain programs or use em, it does not let me because of the C drive being full... I have other drives, I've downloaded my games onto the other drives, but I have no idea whats draining all the space in my C drive... My friend is MIA and I have no idea what is happening... Can anyone assist?

2. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

My guess is your C drive is an SSD and it includes your operating system and main programs. The OS is what's likely taking most of the room on the drive along with shadow backup copies which your computer automatically does unless you turn it off. You can delete these backup copies if you like.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Barnstable likes this.
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

... or you buckup your phone to a PC ;). These copies can take A LOT of space.

4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I was having issues with malware, viruses, etc and bought RegCurePro. It did a great scan of my computer and told me what to get rid of. Not sure, but I think it was $20 for a 6 month subscription. In the end, it wasn't malware or viruses, but my internet provider upgraded me, but my modem couldn't handle it.

What virus protection / firewall are you using? I have Kaspersky and can't recommend them strongly enough. Great product.

60gb isn't really a lot. Can you run games through an external HD ? They are cheap nowadays. 1 TB is about $100, if not cheaper.

5. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Wonderful how can this be done?

when i first got the computer, there was already a F drive but it was quickly filling up quick. I got a another (D) drive and began to put things in there. I try to download things like Itunes, or skype onto those other drives, but my computer says that the C drive was full and cant perform whatever function is needed to download the program :/

6. RasAlgethi

Right click on C drive, click disk clean up. New window will open, click clean up system files. New window will open, go to more options tab, click clean up under system restore and shadow copies. Warning though, if something goes wrong on your computer in the future, you wont have a restore point to fall back on if you delete the system restore and shadow copies.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Meaning if I wanted to restore my computer to a certain point back in time, it wont work cause I would've deleted it? I'm sorry, I'm ignorant in all computer tech talk.

8. RasAlgethi