Max Christie Discussion: 4 Years, 32 Million

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Max needs to work on his strength. He got his shot blocked at the rim, more than anyone else on the team. Playing fewer minutes at that. He has some potential but again, I wouldn't just gift him, any playing time. Vanderbilt is still a better wing defender, Austin is going to start and play heavy minutes, and this Rookie can get some burn, if his shot is falling.

Taking Prince out of the mix, still doesn't garuntee Max anything IMO. That's how it should be, gotta earn it.

Pioneer10 and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think the biggest what-if of this offseason will be whether we could have made use of the tpmle instead of extending max. i guess in the end, nobody went for tpmle at a position of need (i'm envious of tyus jones and trent pickups, but we didn't need a non-defensive pg nor a non-defensive sg). but we're now saddled with three years of max. he needs to be playable this year. not even top-8 quality...but you can't invest and not feel comfortable giving him 15 consequential minutes regularly.

wallangong and Pioneer10 like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

And if you'd rather read the recap

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i know he has to say it, but he's not wrong about continuity. a lot of teams that people write off find ways to click faster than the "much improved" teams that everyone expects to win big.

again i'll say we chose to forego some other FA options in order to commit to max, so hopefully, we're seeing things behind the scenes. THT ended up being a bad bet, but other young players we committed to have done ok, i think.

Barnstable, Cookie and SamsonMiodek like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Max looking like he’s made some physical progress.. Reaves looks like Reaves :D

Barnstable, Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yeah AR has been golfing his a** off so far this summer. After the celebrity tournament at Lake Tahoe just saw a Hillbillybogie entry on Instagram of him driving a ball at St. Andrews.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    be great to see some of our guys take a leap this year and grab an extended role. Must feel like cement shoes have been removed by having a new coach that doesn't suffer from ***Insert Ham condition here***

8. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    The simple reason I have optimism. JJ's comments about our efficiency, while running plays, in contrast to Ham's admission that he did not have the team practice plays much. JJ is going to get us to to what we do best while Ham was simply getting out of the way and letting us implode.

Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

A lot of yes to that but Ham was also directly in the way to better results due to his pig headed bad decisions about the rotations and minutes when guys were healthy enough to take more advantage of similar lineups to what had done much better the season before …. and was too stubborn to go back to them until forced to.

Cookie, Barnstable and Wino like this.
  10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

You mean Austin “The Body” Reaves?

IMG_5422.jpeg

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Those veins look suspicious. I propose drug testing ASAP. If they tested Bald Eagle, they have to test Austin as well.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. Weezy

lol that’s Knecht. I’m just glad that if you’re skilled enough you don’t necessarily need to be a bodybuilder in the NBA, sometimes getting too big can even throw off your shot. I’m not sure for example, how Bane even shoots with those ridiculous arms. But yeah, I’m really hoping with opportunity that Max can make a leap this year, it’s kind of something that has to happen with this roster for us to succeed.

13. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

OMG are you sure? I never noticed before, but I looked up a bunch of photos of both Austin and Dalton and they look so alike from the side when Austin has a haircut I seriously thought this was Austin….. honestly I’m still not sure now. I can’t find this still from one of JSM’s videos anywhere else

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  14. Weezy

Yeah, haha, they don’t really look alike to me, but I can see it from the side some. Austin has the longer hair, here’s what it’s from, Reaves is the first pic and Dalton is that one

Cookie, abeer3 and Barnstable like this.
  15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Austin should work on his body more: It will help take contact on his drives and on defense where it helps you keep your balance when defenders slam into you.

abeer3, Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    having a weak body helps his flop game though

KareemtheGreat33 and abeer3 like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's the christie thread, but i feel like reaves has a really strong lower body already. i don't think he needs to bulk up on the top unless he wants to play sf, which he shouldn't, imo. reaves is a 2/1 (playing down against second teamers) and christie needs to be a 2/3 (playing up against second teamers).

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  18. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Great talk about Max

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i mentioned that the investment in christie was a much bigger issue than the much-maligned player options, as we could have used the full tpmle had we let christie walk.

is this another THT situation where we've overvalued our guy? or did ham really stand in the way of his development? because he basically regressed from his rookie year in many ways.

i'm trusting the front office, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't nervous.

i agree with the kam bros that it was hard to judge last year bc ham didn't seem to have plans for him at all.

i need to see a list of all the folks who signed for tpmle or vet min AND played the same spot (tyus jones went to phx to play big minutes and look for another payday). gary trent also probably had a clearer path to minutes/showcase in milwaukee, as we have reaves here. but was there someone else? brian also couldn't come up with any.

but by the same token, this is also why the player options are also not a huge deal. none of those bargain players were coming here to play small roles.

the thing that scuttled the offseason was dlo opting in...and that might not even end up that bad.

anyway, yes, this is one situation i'll be watching pretty closely.

20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

We have too many guards. Max is not a SF, I'm not sure what the plan is here.

abeer3 likes this.