Making a Murderer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gill, Jan 18, 2016.

1. gill

gill - Rookie -

Any of my fellow Laker pals seen this yet on Netflix? I'd like to discuss 'em with folks here and see what they think: possible theories, rants, etc... Let's have 'em!

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Cops had 38 million reasons to frame him.

The "admission" of the nephew should be inadmissible, as he didn't have the cognitive capacity to answer questions. Especially without his mom or lawyer present. And his lawyer was inept.

Avery's lawyers were amazing.

I have no idea if he did it, but not enough evidence to prove "without a doubt" he did it. The planting of evidence should be grounds for a new trial.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

See to me there's no case without blood. They've built their entire argument against Avery on the forced testimony of a simple kid. That story has changes every single time they interview the kid showing that it's completely fabricated.

Yet that child's story is the main piece they used against Avery? Really? That torturous scene they depicted in the bedroom? Where's the blood? There'd be blood everywhere or evidence of cleaning (even someone trained in forensic evidence would have trouble cleaning all that blood though). Oh! It wasn't in the trailer? It was in the garage? Same story there. Where is all the blood that would accumulate from a mutilated, dead body?

Where the defense made the mistake is trying to say the cops framed him for murder. That's so difficult to get people to agree to, especially in a small town. It would have been easier to say someone else killed the poor girl and then set Avery up for it. The cops, confident that Avery was their man, went to some lengths to get that charge to stick. It wasn't some well thought out and meticulously planned job by the cops to frame this man, just a few guys on the force who wanted it so badly to be Avery that they decided to make it stick any way they could. Much easier to stand on that than to stand on the idea that there was a small army of people sticking up for each other to frame this guy.

4. gill

gill - Rookie -

Glad to see a couple of responses here :)

See for me, my vestment in this whole saga after binge-watching this weekend is whether or not he's guilty or innocent (although "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" should definitely apply here). I just want to see a fair trial and not have some small-town Sheriff's department make a mockery out of the whole justice system TWICE! It is such an embarrassment how it all went down: from the press conference detailing the murder and poisoning the jury pool, to, as real pointed out, lack of solid evidence (where's the blood???) and to the prosecutor who mind you closed his the case with "it doesn't matter if some evidence is planted" (or something to that effect). As I kept watching it got to the point where it was almost comical at least to my wife; halfway thru the series, she turns to me and says, "This can't be real! This has to be a mockumentary! These are actors!!!"

Anyway...

A buddy of mine told me beforehand that this show can get addicting... and it has for me. I've been scouring the web for clues, articles, theories... just anything that will unravel this whole situation. There are some rock solid theories out there on who could've possibly done it to some more weird ones like a sex cult running the town or some guy named Edward Wayne Edwards did it (I suggest you youtube this one. It makes a lot of sense).

And real, the defense did should've pointed fingers at other possible suspects but the problem was the judge gagged them in doing so. They had a "third-party liability" imposed on them which pretty much tells them they can't name other possible suspects during the trial. In some instances, you can see Avery's lawyers trying their best to skirt around that but it just wouldn't work with that gag order. It also made me think the judge was in on it too. Sidenote: Dean Strang is one very articulate man. That man knows how to present an argument in a sophisticated sounding way.

I also hated how in Avery's trial the murder was in the garage but in Brendan's trial, the jury took his coerced confession at face value. That's who I felt sorry for the most out of this whole ordeal. The cops ruined an innocent kid's life without him knowing what was happening (HE JUST WANTED TO WATCH WRESTLEMANIA!!!)

So what are your guys' theories on who could've done it? I'm leaning towards Bobby Dassey & Scott Tadych. Bobby had scratches on his back that day and Scott was selling a .22 calibre gun after he was questioned. They were also the next closest ones to Teresa during that day and they only alibi'd each other. The ex-BF too should've been looked at. Deleting a missing person's voicemail and somehow "guessed" her password to her mobile account????

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    John3:16 likes this.
  5. therealdeal

I know they weren't allowed to specifically point fingers, but if you can just poke holes in their tissue paper thin theories on what happened, then the jury would find reasonable doubt. The problem was not "We think _____ did it!", the problem was "the COPS have it out for my guy!".

I grew up in the LA area, but not really in LA. I grew up in a small town north of LA and we knew all the cops there. I played football with some of their sons. They seemed like really nice people. If someone in our area, especially someone with the checkered past (wrongful imprisonment included), tried to blame cops that I knew, I'd be incredibly skeptical. It's such a tough thing to argue when it comes to that small town mentality.

I agree Brendan was the worst victim here (aside from the girl of course). This poor kid was bullied into a prison. Plain and simple. Cops pulled him from school without his parents or legal representation and then bullied him into saying whatever they needed. His story changed constantly and even his cousin admitted to being a liar on the stand. The poor kid has been in prison now for how many years all because he was related to Steve Avery. That's IT. Wrong place, wrong time, and now his life is in pieces. So f***ed up.

I don't know who did it, but I would have called her ex-boyfriend, her brother, her roommate, and definitely Avery's brother-in-law up and seen what they were up to that day. They had that whole property for what nine consecutive days and 30 some odd searches right? Nothing in the trailer but a key they basically admitted to planting. Did they find anything in the Dassey house? Did they find anything in Tadych's car? No, because they didn't look. They had their guy and the cops clearly went to great lengths to make sure they could nail him to the wall this time.

6. therealdeal

Why would there be blood in the car with no fingerprints?
    Why would he even put a bloody body in the car if he killed her in the garage?
    Where was any DNA evidence from being dragged to the fire pit?
    Why would he keep the car on the property and "hide" it when he had a car crusher available?
    Why were people even allowed onto the Avery's property to search without permission from the Avery's?
    Where was any f***ing blood except in the back of Teresa's car?
    There were bones in both Avery's fire pit and his sister's fire pit AND at another remote location out in the car yard. Why would they take two bone fragments all the way out there?
    If you just got out of jail and had a hankering for murder, wouldn't you NOT do it on your own property and leave behind careless pieces of evidence?

Battle Tested20 and John3:16 like this.
  7. gill

gill - Rookie -

8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    @gill - I thought I was really into this documentary, but those people on reddit put me to shame.

For anyone that hasn't watched, please do. You can watch the first episode on Youtube.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  9. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    http://hellogiggles.com/teresa-halbach-keys/

The key. The key. The key.

Well, this sure is interesting. Like most people, she had more than one key on her key ring. And unlike most people, her one key didn't even have her DNA on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gill likes this.
  10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    One of Dean Strang's best lines I thought in the whole documentary was when he was talking about how the prosecution should be the one swimming up stream against the strong current, not the defense. Check it out: Episode 5, starts at 5 min mark.

I have always loved movies or documentaries that have an unfairly convicted person who has been in prison for a crime he did not commit is finally freed. Ex: An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story (Also on Netflix).

But this Steven Avery case, trial, and conviction now twice was really hard for me to watch. And Brendan, I can't even begin to explain the feelings of rage and frustration his family and himself must of had some nights. Like I am sure many people have, I check out the Making a Murderer Reddit page a lot for updates and things. I'm glad this came out so the Avery family can see just how many people care about the case again and I wish Steven could watch it as well because I'm sure it would continue to flame the fire and desire he still has to prove his innocence. Don't know why the Warden doesn't allow him to watch it.

gill, therealdeal and John3:16 like this.
  11. gill

gill - Rookie -

Avery has Kathleen Zellner on his side now to get him exonerated again. She's been going on Twitter and using social media posting updates as to what her law firm has been finding out. Zellner is famous in Chicago for overturning wrongful convictions, lately with Ryan Ferguson. I think she will get him out this time but I also hope she can get Brendan out too (she's doing this Pro Bono).

I think what I ultimately want to see is for the law enforcement in Manitowoc to answer for this. Clearly, there's an EXTREME amount of corruption in that county. And judging from the latest posts on reddit, it's been going on for quite some time (not just with Avery). This needs to stop and be used as an example for other counties everywhere.

Yeah... that reddit thread is so full of useful information. People have been finding a lot of inconsistencies, more unethical practice from prosecutor Kratz and possible evidence. I check on it daily and it amazes me how much people are investing into this to help out the Avery's and also the Halbach's to get Teresa and her family the truth and true justice.

And oh! Dateline NBC just posted a preview on their FB feed that their report will be about this Friday. Maybe it's just regurgitated updates from reddit and Zellner but it's worth a watch.

12. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  13. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Dateline NBC tonight at 10pm pst is airing a 1 hour special on The State of Wisconsin vs. Steven Avery.

The 1 hour special will have interviews from Ken Kratz and Jerome Buting

John3:16 likes this.