Kanye West 2020

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by Helljumper, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Just curious what you all think about this story about Kanye running for president?

Amongst all of the sensationalist headlines and Kanye’s own mania, if you look at his campaign website, his platform is actually pretty reasonable: https://kanye2020.country/

Of course, anyone can throw together some general points that are going to sound good. And to be clear, I 100% don’t want him to be president, or even get on the ballot.

His campaign seems to be some combination of seeking publicity but also delusions of grandeur resulting from a bipolar episode. Not exactly a great recipe for a presidency.

Still though, I think there are aspects of this story that are interesting.

Could he have a viable run in 2024 as a Trump-like “disruptor” if he actually takes it seriously and begins organizing ahead of time?

Is he actually running specifically to play spoiler for Biden and try to help Trump? I personally think he strongly dislikes Biden and the social pressure for blacks to vote Democrat, so when Biden said “if you don’t vote for me, you’re not black” that was the final straw for him. So I think that ties into his motivation, but it’s not some elaborate conspiracy between Kanye and the GOP/Trump’s campaign. Maybe at this point some Republicans are trying to help because they think he would hurt Biden, but it’s still not some elaborate strategy like some are trying to make it out.

If he does run and get on enough ballots, can he actually impact the election? Would he steal more votes from Biden or Trump? I think the idea from the left that he’s trying to steal the black vote, implying black people would vote for Kanye just because he’s black, is a bit patronizing... but then there have been some prominent black celebrities backing up Kanye. At the same time, he has spent the past few years strongly pissing off the black community with some outlandish comments, while ingratiating himself with the conservative/Christian community. A major talking point of his has been how strongly he is against abortion. There have been some polls suggesting he would actually take more votes from Trump.

Overall, I think he is serious about running and will be on a few ballots. But he will have a negligible impact on the results, it will be a wash. And so the media should probably just stop giving him attention for this.

As probably the biggest Kanye fan on this board, I wish he would just focus on the music (and getting his mental health/family life stable). The Twitter feed of a President Kanye would probably look like this:

“HEALTHCARE REFORM BILL, COMING ON 8.7.2021. ABOUT TO BE THE MOST FIRE BILL OF THE YEAR”

And then that date would come and pass without an actual bill getting passed, and he’ll just start ranting about Drake or posting Rick and Morty memes as if he forgot the major promise he just failed to deliver on (yes, I’m salty about all the album release dates he’s missed :D )

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    He’s the president America deserves

:Noddingyes:

3. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

nothing more than a ploy by the GOP to try and steal black voters from biden. all the people behind his campaign are GOP strategists. plus, kanye himself even admitted that he's running as a spoiler candidate

he's already been busted for forging campaign signatures and has been booted off the ballots in a couple states where he was still eligible to appear on them. i get that the GOP is desperate, but i don't see any way this helps them. biden voters are not just gonna switch their votes to kanye. the only people voting kanye are ones who weren't planning to vote for biden or trump in the first place OR, 18-21 year old new voters who will vote for him "for the lols." if anything, it could backfire on the GOP if disgruntled trump voters from '16 who refuse to vote for biden, end up voting for kanye. but he likely won't even appear on enough ballots to cause any noticeable difference at all with the election results

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

American political clown show continues.

sirronstuff, revgen and Kenzo like this.
  5. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I actually feel sorry for Kanye. Mental illness is no joke. Depression and bipolar. The Kardashians aren't helping.

I'm afraid we haven't seen the worst of Kanye.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

The Kardashian and Jenner women must have been what whoever came up with the word “succubus” had in mind. :giggle: :clap:

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I think every comment so far has been facts.

Just to comment on a few points though. I still feel the “spoiler” thing is being embellished. The article that claims Kanye admits to just wanting to play spoiler, Kanye’s actual quote is basically “I’m running to win” and then when the interview pointed out how unlikely that was, Kanye responded “I won’t argue with you, Jesus is King” :D Still sounds more to me like someone delusional from a manic episode and genuinely thinks they can/should be president rather then someone just trying to steal votes.

I’ve obviously been critical on blanket fake news labels, (while hopefully still making it clear that I do acknowledge the media has a lot of BS on all sides), but it feels to me that the media on the left is trying to make this a bigger story about Kanye/Trump colluding then is actually based in reality.

But yeah, the fact that we’re even talking about a Kanye West presidential campaign and how it relates to the re-election campaign of President Donald Trump is enough to lose faith in the world.

About the Kardashians ... as much flack as they get, mostly justified. I think Kim has actually been as supportive a wife as Kanye could possibly ask for. Unlike a situation where the Kardashians ruined Lamar, I think Kim and the kids have helped Kanye more then hurt. Without her, I’d worry Kanye’s mental issues would be even worse.

Kris-Jong Un on the other hand...

8. LTLakerFan

Yeah. That and senile Joe Biden with "hold my beer" performances in presidential debates and international meetings with heads of state, if elected, being inevitable. Seems to me.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    PLEASE put him in a Presidential debate.

That would settle everything.

:Kobe Snickering:

Helljumper likes this.