Julius Randle Discussion: Beast, Ox, Monster, Lotus Flower

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DjBelvedere, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

This guy impressed me in his first game. He did so much of what we were missing last year and attacks the basket with a force. Reminds a bit of Lamar when he brings up the ball (of course not quite at a LO standard yet) but I think we really found something in the draft.

I already like our rookies a lot.

2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

He looked really good actually. He has NBA-ready body, but needs to work on his conditioning. So far, so good.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If he improves his conditioning, i can see him fighting for the ROY. Learning from Boozer and Kobe while getting plenty of assists from Nash & Lin = Success

4. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Doesn't look like the length is bothering him as much as scouting reports were trying to suggest.

5. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

It realy doesn't:) He's fast, mobile and quite nimble so i guess he'll be OK.

6. Agent Red

Agent Red - Rookie -

I was impressed with his speed and handles. The boy got a serious first step for a big. Hopefully what I have heard is wrong and he also has a solid 15 footer. ;)

7. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Pretty much what I expected. Lakers will bring him along slowly. My projection is that he is 2 years away from being an all star,

MusixFinest likes this.
  8. Coyote

Coyote - Rookie -

Honestly looking like one of the better players in the draft was taken by our Lakers. What an exciting time to be a Laker fan. It's almost like watching our young Bynum for the first time. Hope he has a Bynum/shaq moment on Dwight. :D

Coyotl

FreeThePeople likes this.
  9. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

I can see why Byron said the game is moving way too fast for him. But once he finds his groove, watch out.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought he looked very good. I'd probably say B+.

Pros: His offense won't be a problem. He attacked the basket on face-ups. He posted up effectively. He moved well off the ball. He rebounded very well. His body doesn't look anything like a 19 year old should; he's physically ready for the NBA.

Cons: He got tired quickly. All that running in practice and he still needs to run more. Defensively he showed some of the tendencies he had in college for getting lost. I think it was in large part due to his conditioning, but that's not really an excuse.

All-in-all he outplayed Boozer. It's clear to see Randle has more talent than Booz, but Booz has more experience. At what point does that experience stop being enough to guarantee a starting spot? Will Randle's conditioning maybe keep him on the bench for a while?

11. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

There was one play last night where Randle elevated over Moscov and flushed it. I had to smile when Lantz said "Come, get this!" afterwards. He does remind me of Odom somewhat. Shifty yet with a better outside touch.

12. Sipnotic

Sipnotic - Rookie -

He played well overall. I was surprised that his handles were that good. He's fearless, which is what you'd love to have in your PF. The only criticism I have from game one for Randle is that on a few plays, his screens seemed pretty weak; He would rush the screen to roll. I suspect this will improve as the season goes on.

13. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

Do you think he will get the minutes to compete statistically for that award? He has Boozer in front of him although I understand he is old. I am so used to Lakers rookies getting few minutes. I hope Byron Scott is different in this regard. I am really like Julius Randle.

14. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

Best handles I've seen from a 4 out of college in a long time. If he expands on his shooting he'd be a huge threat at the 3 spot too. He's quick. He's has a finesse about his finishes at the rim that allows him to create space for himself to get the shot off and he is VERY quick about getting back up off the ground for tip ins and second chance points. He's going to be able to grab a rebound on offense and finish on the other end of the floor leading the transition. He's like a version of Antawn Jamison and Lamar Odom put together. Some of his shots near the rim aren't the prettiest, but he's able to get them to go in sort of like Jamison would. I'm very happy with this pick so far and he is going to cause a mess of matchup problems.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Agreed with so many of you. Randle was a terrific pickup - along with Smart, he seems like one of the most NBA ready guys in the top of the draft. His quicks and his footwork are excellent for a guy with his size. He's got some speed and athleticism that you just don't usually find with a guy that big. I think with his obvious offensive gifts, working with Byron is going to do wonders for him because he will improve at his weak spots: defense and conditioning. His offense will become more polished with time. He's got a nice touch close to the rim, a good feel for the post, and he has some potential from mid-range. I love his ability to put the ball on the floor. Very excited about him being here.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it was pretty cool to see him grab a rebound and immediately turn up the court. There was a few times when he left Lin or Clarkson standing there in his dust while he took off looking for quick scoring opportunities. Great stuff.

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Damn!! Nice first Youtube Lakers A team Randle highlight compilation!! Really impressive. After seeing that I'm convinced of my opinion he's like a Marcus Smart much larger. It all looks good there! But holy crap, for a rookie at nineteen at his size and strength to put on that Kobe esque pump fake, footwork and up, under, whatever it was...... (where are 3 of my guys dropping their jaws in astonishment) You KNOW Kobe has been working with him and he is already more "polished" in his game than Dwight Howard was last year.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ That was a sick move!!

19. Lakers

Lakers - Rookie -

Randle is going to be a beast.

20. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

I liked what I saw but he does need to work on his conditioning and rebounding. Impressive start nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.