Here's What I Think About Mitch Kupchak's Job As GM

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LALakersFan4Life, Jul 5, 2015.

1. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

He kinda sucks at getting free agent deals done but he's great a acquiring a player via trade. As for the draft since 2009, you can thank Ryan West for that. Before Ryan, Mitch didn't do so well. If you mentioned Andrew Bynum, Drew was a Jim Buss pick. The best picks Mitch ever made pre-Ryan West was Kareem Rush and Jordan Farmar. Since Mitch took over as GM when Jerry West left in the summer of 2000, he signed guys like Mitch Richmond, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Horace Grant, Metta, Bryon Russell, brought back Vlade, Vladimir Radmanovic, Smush Parker, Jim Jackson, Isaiah Rider, brought back Fish, Steve Blake, Matt Barnes, Theo Ratliff, Antawn Jamison, Aaron McKie, Troy Murphy, brought back Jordan Farmar, Chris Kaman, Jodie Meeks, Wesley Johnson, Kendall Marshall, Nick Young and Steve Nash

People said GP and Karl signing was all Shaq. Jodie was great with the Lakers. His best years was with the Lakers. Nick I think was a ok singing. He struggled this year with his hand injury. Farmar was a good pick up with his championship experience. Kaman was a good 1 year rental and didn't wanna be back in LA after spending his time there for several years. Smush was a cancer. Vladimir a ok signing at first but he's a idiot. Metta and Fish were a great acquisitions. Blake and Barnes was decent to me. Wes isn't starting material but I think he'd be better off the bench though. Kendall was a decent pick up. Great passer, improved his shooting a little but then got traded to Milwaukee and tore his ACL. I still think Steve Nash was a great pick up if it wasn't for Damian accidentally injuring him I believe it would've worked out. The rest of the guys I named was at the end of their careers. They were all great before came to the Lakers.

For the trades he's done, he's acquired Pau, Chris Paul, Dwight, Horace, Lindsey Hunter, Trevor Ariza, Kareem Rush, Lamar, Caron, Brian Grant, Shannon, Adam Morrison, Ramon Sessions, Earl Clark and Jeremy Lin.

He's acquired 4 All-Stars for the Lakers. Pau, CP3 (even though it was vetoed), Dwight and Horace. Traded 9 guys on that list that helped the Lakers get the NBA Championships or get us in the Finals. Sometimes Mitch and get a great deal and the other team can get nothing out of it. And some of those that were a diamond in a rough. Some how Mitch can do that. Guys like Trevor, Shannon and Earl Clark. I thought they were just a throw in and it turns out that they can produce.

There are Laker fans who were hating on Mitch who can't get free agents for the past couple years but then boom, they makes a decent trade to make up for that and Laker fans aren't that mad at him anymore. Does everybody agree with me that Mitch kinda sucks at getting free agent deals done but he's great a acquiring a player via trade?

thkthebest, shoe and John3:16 like this.
  2. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Thats why i think we need to hire someone that will focus on signing FA. They can do their homework on upcoming FA that we'd potentially be interested in and work on the pitch.

I think we'd have a better shot if we had someone that can fill that void

Chillbongo and John3:16 like this.
  3. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Man, this is getting old. I've refrained from writing anything but why does everyone think Mitch sucks at getting free agents? Where is the proof?

Did those who are claiming this really think that Carmelo (last year), LMA, DJ, and Monroe (the only guys the Lakers offered the max) were going to sign here? The Lakers are in full rebuild mode and like it or not, FAs want to win. If that is what people are basing this idea that Mitch sucks at attracting FAs, and coupling that with the ridiculous overreaching assumptions made by the media that were not based on any fact, then I'm just at a loss for words. Unbelievable.

Just because Mitch didn't pursue guys that the arm-chair GMs here on Lakersball wanted doesn't mean he can't lure FAs. What is attractive about the Lakers up to this point of the rebuild? If I were LMA and were looking at my basketball mortality, why would I sign with the Lakers that have an unproven roster and had a horrible year last year?

4. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

We haven't needed a big free agent signing in the Kobe era which has been most of Mitch's career up until these past few seasons where we actually have some cap space and in a rebuild. So I don't really get what's the big deal.

The best signing we got from Mitch was Ron Artest when Ariza signed elsewhere. Other than that, we have made amazing trades getting the necessary pieces to be as successful as we have been. How many of these teams who have made "big signings" been as successful as teams who built up over time other than the Heat?

Chillbongo likes this.
  5. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Mitch was very much involved in drafting Bynum. Former assistant GM Ronnie Lester scouted him, and told Mitch. Mitch looked at Bynum himself and agreed with Lester. Mitch told Jim. They all agreed to draft him.

The reason why Bynum is often called a "Jim Buss" pick is because Phil reportedly wanted Sean May. Jim Buss, being head of basketball operations, overruled him. It was really pick involving Buss, Lester and Mitch in unison.

I also disagree with your notion that only Kareem Rush and Farmar were Mitch's good picks. Ronny Turiaf was a nice hustle PF off the bench who often gave bigger centers trouble. Luke Walton was a pretty solid rotation player until his injuries started. Javaris Crittenton was a fairly talented guard before his off-court life took a toll.

I agree with you about free agents. He needs to work at improving in that area.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    thkthebest and John3:16 like this.
  6. LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life - Rookie -

Damn, I forgot about Ronny.

revgen likes this.
  7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I also forgot another pick. Even though I didn't like him much since all he did was shoot and did nothing else, Brian Cook did play 9 years in the league. Not bad for a 2nd round pick.

8. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Disney Cast Member
    This is what I was saying before Aldridge FINALLY said he was going to the Spurs.

Every PLAN we have gone through where we have money and are going to get somebody, WE HAVENT GOTTEN ANYONE.

I am already wanting to not go into next summer with this "2016" plan.

Just trade for people or sign-and-trade for people

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm sorry but I feel this thread is redundant. This topic was beaten to death after the Hibbert trade.

10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I agree... Lakers need someone who can be convincing and able to talk to a player. Able to project to a free agent...charm and pizzazz. Not many of those around. One of them works for a local baseball team even if he sometimes doesn't know what he is talking about.

revgen likes this.
  11. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Agree 100% with everything you said.

I'll add, when everyone wanted Bynum traded (ship his a__ out), it was Jimmy who held fast. Smart move and he should get credit for that (and I hate Jimmy Boy).

Chillbongo, therealdeal and revgen like this.
  12. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    The FAs mitch has failed to woo..Anthony, Aldridge, Howard, Monroe, Robin Lopez, and even Carroll is going to be a blessing in disguise with the guys he's gotten with his magic wand. Now if he lands Justis Anderson for the S&T of Lin.....man this team will be fun to watch plus be a playoff team.

ZenMaster likes this.
  13. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

If the three draftees pan out or even two of them plus Randle...the new adds contribute as projected or above it, this year's squad could be competitive or do the unthinkable [playoffs?]. 24 comes off the books. All of those can contribute to Kupchak's pitch next season. More than half the battle is won "basketball reasons" considered. This free agency period, the Lakers did not have that luxury.

The Lakers are still the glamor team of The League and needs that "face" for marketing purposes. Durant is the obvious choice. I don't see anyone with the same appeal.

Chillbongo and therealdeal like this.
  14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I was posting cheesy 80s song titles in the FA thread to calm the board because I was thinking Mitch wouldn't let us down. I'm disappointed with many people here believing BS from the press trying to make Mitch look incompetent. Now, even with these wizardly moves, some here are still hung up that we didn't show Aldridge more analytics when it didn't even matter in his choice. Kobe told Aldridge, Mitch will surround him with complementary supporting pieces; BOOM! An All Star Center and sixth man of the year PG. BOOM! solid back up veteran PF for good measure. Aldridge will probably be playing more center than before and probably won't compete for anything with SA's old core and new players after gutting their team for him.

15. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Mitch is part of the problem, but I wouldn't say he is the main reason. When it comes to the top tier of FA, the Jeanie and Jim are always involved, and that is where the REAL problem is.

16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty transparently me. C'mon man, just quote me. You know I can take an argument and I'm not backing down from my opinion.

There's a schism on the site right now of Pro-Mitch vs. Anti-Mitch that doesn't even exist. You realize that's not the point I'm making right? I've made at least a dozen posts that show my point, but only a couple of you guys are willing to actually listen to it. You all want to pigeonhole me into one argument that I'm not making.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal to call for change in the FO. I have been consistent in my criticism: they're out of touch and need to change the way they approach FAs. This attitude that it doesn't matter what they say because they weren't getting the FAs anyway is absolute garbage. Why would you pitch them knowing you'll fail and knowing it doesn't ultimately matter? No. Of course you wouldn't do that. It's a waste of your time. You pitch them hoping for the best so that they sign with your team. Well they're not going to sign with your team if your presentation is out of touch with what they want. They're not going to sign with your team if you present to them in a way that's not to their liking.

We have no salesmen on this team. We have no presenters that know how to convince a higher level FA to sign here. They aren't relating to stars the way they used to. They're still trying to sell stardom when stardom is attainable all over the country. LeBron and Durant are maybe the two biggest stars in the country and they're playing in Cleveland and Oklahoma. Is being a star in Los Angeles different? Absolutely, but they don't care about that. Tell them how you're going to make their lives easier on the court. Is that not obvious? Should they not have known that?

And the analytics have caught up with them. We've known for years they're behind everyone else. Now they're EMBARRASSINGLY behind everyone else. No they couldn't show him analytics on the last year's team, but they could show some great analysis of the rookies and of Aldridge and of any future additions that Mitch had in mind.

What's so wrong about those two statements? It's as if there's you and the others want to turn your back on a couple of obvious and glaring issues because Mitch recovered well and made a bunch of moves to make the team more competitive. That's fine. I've never questioned Mitch's trading ability. I highly question his charisma in a meeting with modern stars. I question how much strength he has over Byron. Mitch is a great GM, but he's not above reproach. He's not infalliable.

I called for his and Jim's head IF and only IF they didn't come out of this off-season having made some moves. Well guess what? They made their moves. At the time it was a valid concern. When you're watching a Laker game and Kobe is 2/15 but makes a game winning shot, wasn't there a moment in the game where you told Kobe to stop shooting or be more efficient? Well 3-4 days ago the Lakers FO was being embarrassed by FAs in their own meetings and at that moment it was a valid concern that they were going to strike out with FAs and not have any additions to make out of the pool of available players.

Mitch did what he always does: he went to the trade machine and worked his magic. He's great at picking up role players and trading for other guys. He and Jim and Ryan West are great at finding talent in the draft. None of them are good at pitching star FAs.

And now I'm getting accused of nitpicking when in reality, I'm ready to move on from this discussion so we can discuss the roster and the team moving forward. Instead you guys keep bringing this up with veiled derision and it's frankly annoying me. I don't understand why these valid concerns should be brushed aside just because there's a competent roster now. I am very happy with some of these moves, but now I've had to come on here and defend my position about an argument that most of you guys choose to keep bringing up. I've made my point. If you don't agree with it, just agree to disagree and let's move on.

17. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

Mitch is the best in the business. The things he has done are amazing. You can't make chicken pie out of chicken crap but some how he did it. IMO anyone having a problem with Mitch at this point.... well I don't even want to say what I think about that. People need to realize that the league did a full assault on the Lakers to keep them from winning. There has been a lot to overcome. In just a few years we have became a team with a legitimate chance to make the playoffs and be a very good team that will attract FA for years to come.

18. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry, Real. When I call you out, I call you out by name. Ain't no passive aggressive crap with me. ;):rofl:

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. therealdeal

Did you read the post above you or are you just making a blanket statement? Because if you are just saying this in general, fine. If you're saying this specifically at me, I guess I can continue this discussion.

20. therealdeal

:D

That's fine. I got called out by @RandleROFY for stuff I said 3 years ago! I'm ready! Bring it on! :D :D

Nah I'm kidding. I'm just ready to move on from this topic. I feel like people are just on other sides of the fence on this one and if no one is going to change their opinion or try to understand the other side of the fence, then it's not worth discussing anymore.

I'd like to be able to just enjoy the roster we have now without people calling me a Debbie Downer for having an opinion about something. :D