Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

All talking heads blaiming LeBron and defend Ham and I am not talking Bayless or Bill Simmons.It just proves that they don't watch games and go by highlights and stats

sirronstuff and abeer3 like this.
  2. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Props and hats off to you Darvin …. well deserved.

:rock: :clap: :cool:

4. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Apples to oranges comparisons.normal college coaches with little to no experience of the pro game to coaches with an abundance of experience with the pro game

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

the main reason college coaches don't work in the NBA is because they aren't used to coaching without having the amount of power over their players like they do at the college level

college coaches are pretty much dictators

6. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Yay! Taking a very talented Laker Squad to the playoffs when AD and LeBron play nearly all of the games?
    We should hang a banner!
    Wait, we aren’t the Flippers.
    FOH with this nonsense and ALL of the talking heads backing Ham.

7. 52years

52years - Rookie -

True .These men have an advantage because of their vast experience they know it doesn’t work that way in the pros

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. FrontOfJersey22

Seriously, what has he done so far to be considered “a great coach?”
    LeBron likes him.
    What else?

SamsonMiodek, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  9. FrontOfJersey22

Come on Ron Ron, placing Drew League and Venice Beach on there just reduces your credibility.

sirronstuff likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lots of players like him and people claim he's brilliant on in-game adjustments, strategy, motivation, etc.

but you know who else EVERYONE said this about for years? doc rivers. like hearing people talk about lue sounds exactly like hearing them talk about rivers.

what i don't see is lue getting more from less like some of the best coaches do routinely (popovich, spo, hell even rick carlisle i'd put in this group).

what really bothers me is that if lebron was so in the bag for lue, why didn't he make that clearer during the first coaching search? i mean, we traded for westbrook when we had brokered a separate deal already--you're telling me we just ignored lebron on tyronn? i find this very hard to believe.

11. LTLakerFan

I think LeBron was trying to be on best non-GM behavior and then fell hard off the wagon.

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

For the record I think Lue is overrated but at the same time, he's who I want based on the current crop of available coaches... which he probably isn't even part of. Cause even an overrated Lue would either qualify as being the best or second best HC we've had since Phil.

With that out of the way, what gets Doc in trouble is his mouth and the absolute choke jobs in the playoffs. Similar to Ham, Doc blames everything and everyone else for any of the team's failures. I think Doc is 10x worse with it, you'll actually hear the backup alert beep from the bus as he drives over the players and Doc has also been at this for a looong time whereas Darv was in year 2. If Doc was accountable and owned his s***, I think he'd have a much better relationships with his teams and not flame out as fast.

I don't watch very many Clippers pressers and usually just see it when something goes viral or gets passed around on social media but Lue seems to do a much better job of media relations and acknowledging when he f***ed up.

13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i wouldn't put lue up there with spoelstra or pop, but i'd still easily take him over any of the available HC candidates

14. FrontOfJersey22

Im still not convinced…

15. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

So, I got through about 40 minutes of an episode of LBJ/Reddick. Reddick is impressive, IMO. He'll do well in an interview. He'll probably interview better than 90 percent of the candidates we have on our "short list," if I'm being honest. Articulate, can diagram plays, counters to plays, he draws from analytics. He's very damn smart.

Should that make him head coach of the Lakers? No, but it will get him an interview. In all likelihood the more I hear him speak, I might be championing his hire for myself soon. ROFL. Then again, I did that with Ham and looked how that turned out. Hahahaha.

I must say though I am intrigued.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Lue is just unrealistic given crazy Ballmer, but the reason why we didn't get him because ownership/FO was trying to be cheap (and wanted a Plan B aka Jason Kidd).

It was clear the FO and ownership didn't want to give Lue a long term deal (as they were still paying Luke) and Lue felt disrespected by that given that he was a Finals winning coach. In hindsight, we should've just hired him because he would've gotten Vogel as his defensive coordinator. I mean it was a miracle that Vogel worked out despite the fact that Jason Kidd was forced on him and ready to take his job if he sucked.

This isn't the first time this FO has tried to penny pinch. Just ask Zubac and Caruso. It's hard to trust this FO; you need a strong one to find the Spolestra/Udoka/Nick Nurses of the world.

lakerjones likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

Do you have the link handy? I rarely will sit through long podcasts but might like to see what people have been talking about.

VladeD714 likes this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Fans are weird, folks think Lebron and Klutch Sports have too much influence. At the same time JJ Roddick is some kind of hot candidate, because he does a podcast with Lebron?

In the midst of the talk about, hiring a veteran coach

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  19. LTLakerFan

I want Handy with Rondo and Stotts on the bench, big IF Stotts is down for that and big IF in the first place if Phil is still interested, as reports said he was, and miffed about not being considered after Vogel. Not whipped up about any veteran coaches currently anvailabe, and I feel it would be best all the way around if LeBron is really comfortable with the pick. There was some reporting I think that he would have supported Phil taking over once he was done mentally, along with whoever else with Ham. Just my thoughts. That would be my preference but like everyone else just along for the ride.

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

One of the reasons Bron clicks with JJ. Psycho level structure and scheduling. Whereas Ham's schedule consisted of running faster and avoiding Saginaw strays.

Last edited: May 5, 2024